Author Topic: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia  (Read 28362 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »

From some of the documents on Naairs it appears there was also a McIlwaine Game Ranch in Rhodesia....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Peter Ian Morrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 September 16 10:33 BST (UK) »
By chance I have just come across this site. I am a grandson of Sir Robert McIlwaine of Rhodesia and if anyone is interested I have quite a bit of information about him and his family plus I have some family photographs. Regards.  Peter

Offline Laura Rana

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 June 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Zara then married Samuel Reid Campbell, a doctor; they met and married in South Africa but I'm not sure why they were there.

Meant to say I know Zara travelled to South Africa several times with her mother Jeanette (presumably to visit her Aunt Sophia McIlwaine, though Jeannette also had a brother named George Boyle Hanna who was with the Indian Medial Corps). Jeanette lists her address as being the Presbyterian 'huts' at Ballykinler in one of the passenger lists. I'm assuming it may have some kind of connection to the Hanna family being so prominent in the Presbyterian Church. Her elder brother Robert Kennedy Hanna was a Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, following in the footsteps of his ggg-grandfather Samuel Hanna who was the first Moderator of the Reformed church. Do you know if Zara met Samuel at home or away?

Hello!  I just stumbled across this site whilst carrying out some family history research and George Boyle Hanna is my great grand father so it's very exciting to find some relatives here!  Robert Kennedy Hanna is my great great uncle and my great uncle was named after him.  My grand mother, Eileen Moore, née Hanna, his sister, was very fond of him and my Dad has some photos I could send / upload if anyone is interested.

I'm quite new to genealogy so any help / advice would be much appreciated.  Oh and please feel free to access my family tree info in case it might help any of you fill in any gaps you might have :)  I'd love to connect with you all on Ancestry.co.uk and I've just done the DNA test (currently awaiting my results) so that might help us trace our ancestors back even further!  Robert Hanna b. 1742 d. 1810 and his wife Jane Macrory b. 1751 d. 1810 is as far as I've been able to go with the Hannas so if anyone has gone back any further than that I'd love to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Laura

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
By chance I have just come across this site. I am a grandson of Sir Robert McIlwaine of Rhodesia and if anyone is interested I have quite a bit of information about him and his family plus I have some family photographs. Regards.  Peter

Hi Peter,

Am catching up on all my posts and apologize for the late reply. I would absolutely LOVE to read/see anything you have on Sir Robert McIlwaine's family in Rhodesia. I now know there were two more branches of the Hanna family tree out there. Elizabeth Bertha Boyle Hanna married Eugene McNulty and Isabel Agnes Hanna married Cecil Crew and both families lived in Rhodesia. So, it would seem that my great grandmother had quite a few relations to visit while out there!

Trish
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
Zara then married Samuel Reid Campbell, a doctor; they met and married in South Africa but I'm not sure why they were there.

Meant to say I know Zara travelled to South Africa several times with her mother Jeanette (presumably to visit her Aunt Sophia McIlwaine, though Jeannette also had a brother named George Boyle Hanna who was with the Indian Medial Corps). Jeanette lists her address as being the Presbyterian 'huts' at Ballykinler in one of the passenger lists. I'm assuming it may have some kind of connection to the Hanna family being so prominent in the Presbyterian Church. Her elder brother Robert Kennedy Hanna was a Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, following in the footsteps of his ggg-grandfather Samuel Hanna who was the first Moderator of the Reformed church. Do you know if Zara met Samuel at home or away?

Hello!  I just stumbled across this site whilst carrying out some family history research and George Boyle Hanna is my great grand father so it's very exciting to find some relatives here!  Robert Kennedy Hanna is my great great uncle and my great uncle was named after him.  My grand mother, Eileen Moore, née Hanna, his sister, was very fond of him and my Dad has some photos I could send / upload if anyone is interested.

I'm quite new to genealogy so any help / advice would be much appreciated.  Oh and please feel free to access my family tree info in case it might help any of you fill in any gaps you might have :)  I'd love to connect with you all on Ancestry.co.uk and I've just done the DNA test (currently awaiting my results) so that might help us trace our ancestors back even further!  Robert Hanna b. 1742 d. 1810 and his wife Jane Macrory b. 1751 d. 1810 is as far as I've been able to go with the Hannas so if anyone has gone back any further than that I'd love to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Laura

Hi Laura, it's lovely to *meet* you!

I have been working on the Kellswater Hanna's family tree for many years now and am more than happy to share what I've learned. Think I may have tripped across your tree already but just in case I haven't, we should be able to PM on here inside a couple more messages (if my memory serves me correctly ;) ) Am excited to learn about your branch!

Trish
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how I stumbled on this but this is my family! My father was Samuel Reid Campbell Ritchie and Bridget is my aunt. My children and I would love to learn more about my father's side of the family. I see that the previous posts date back a few years but hopefully you can still be reached.
Alison

Hi Alison!

And yes, I am still knocking around and am VERY happy to share what I've learned. I think you have to post 3 messages on here before I can send you a private message (maybe one of the moderators can confirm that) but once we can I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)

Trish

Offline Zubiana

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I believe that the Samuel Reid Campbell being discussed is my grandfather's brother.  Samuel Reid was the fourth son of Samuel Reid Campbell Senior and his wife Mary (nee Chambers).  My grandfather was William Campbell, their sixth son.  I'm working on finding out about the rest!  William received the DSC in 1918 for his service in the RNR then retired and worked in the Civil Service.  William married Margaret Heron and had four sons - William Heron Campbell, Samuel Reid Campbell, John Heron Campbell and Robert Chambers Campbell.  My father is John who is still alive at 95.  I'm currently working my way back through the Campbell line so any help I can give on that end of things I'll post on here.   :)

Offline kimbo56

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
hi there, also just stumbled across this site.
I'm interested in any further info on Sir Robert McIlwaine - as per Peter Morrows post below?
My father, John Peter MacIlwaine, born in Cookstown, N Ireland was the last generation born in Ireland and I was born in England, as were my daughters.
I have ended up living in South Africa for the past 23yrs and visited Zimbabwe, nee Rhodesia, several times on business but yet to make contact with the remains of the McIlwain family living in and around Harare and Troutbeck - but would love to.
can anyone help me join the dots pls?

thanks
Kim

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 April 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Sir Robert's father, Henry McIlwaine (1833-97) was a brother of my great great grandmother, Mary Ann (1831-1908).  I have been researching the McIlwaine family for over thirty years, and would really appreciate any information on the descendants of Sir Robert and his wife.