Author Topic: Clark family, Moffat  (Read 6386 times)

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark family, Moffat
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
i posted a topic a few weeks ago re Clarks as i was looking for information on my Grandfather,
Peter Gibson Grant Clark born in Moffat, with the advise of another rootschater i ordered his birth certificate,....it gave me two pieces of information 1) He was illagitamte 2) his mother was a Marion Jandine Clark ( domestic servant)born 1900...i have managed to find Marion's parents John Clark who was a coachman and Maggie Gibson Clark nee (???) also a domestic servent, both lived or worked for a family called Grant.......
i was wondering if anybody could help me find Maggies maiden. but also give me any ideas on Peters Father i was thinking that Marion had a relationship with one of the Grant's she worked for and that's how he got Grant in his name?, it would be good to find out as my late uncle, myself and my son have the name Grant in are name's.
many thanks in advance
Keith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Clark family, Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

Looks like you are making lots of headway  :) Just putting a link to your previous post for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510727.0.html

Regarding Marion's mother, have you found her birth cert to confirm Maggie's maiden name? If you have viewed the image of Marion's birth and mother Maggies's maiden name is not clear, you can contact SP and they can send you an enhanced image which should hopefully make it clear. You could also try searching for a marriage for John and Maggie to see what the maiden surname may be. If you have Marion's birth cert, there should be a date and place of parents' marriage (there is one showing in Moffat in 1900 for a John Clark and Maggie Grant).

Sure you have this, just adding it to help anyone doing any searches - everyone born in Moffat except for John Clark:

Jannet G Grant 58, laundress
John G Grant 18 brother (?) Painter (apprentice)
Thomas I Grant 12, nephew
James D Grant   6, nephew
John Clark 26, boarder, Coachman (domestic) b. Dunscore, Dumfriesshire
Maggie Clark 26, boarder
Marion Jardine Clark 5 Months boarder

Address: Harthope Place, Moffat

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 11 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Possible 1891 entry for Maggie:

Robert Gibson 59, farmer b. Lanark
Robina Grant 19, niece b. Moffat
Maggie Grant 17, niece b. Moffat
John Grant 8, nephew b. Moffat
David McFarlane 33, servant Ploughman

Address: Howslack, Moffat

Maggie seems to be fairly consistent with her age and place of birth. Possible birth entry for her on IGI:

Maggie Gibson Grant b. 19 October 1873 in Moffat, parents William Grant and Margaret Gibson.

1881 entry and likely Maggie with her family - everyone showing as born in Moffat except for father:

William Grant 50, schoolmaster b. Dumfries
Margaret Grant 46
Janet Grant 19
Jane Grant 11
Roberta Grant 9
Maggie Grant 7
William Grant 4
Thomas Grant 5 Months

Address: Annan Water School House

But, a stage at a time  ;D Keith, you need to work back step by step to be certain. John Clark and Maggie's marriage cert is a good place to start to work back to their individual families.

Your Peter's middle names of Gibson and Grant seems to connect well with Marion's side of the family rather than potential surnames of his father I would think....but, most often, you never know for certain with these types of births unfortunately.

Monica

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hya Monica....

Thanks again for your help, is it Jandine or Jardine??

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Likely Jardine which is a surname - where have you got Jandine?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Marion probably called after paternal grandmother. Possible birth for John Clark (which you should be able to confirm from parents' name on his marriage cert.):

John Clark b. 25 May 1874 in Dunscore, Dumfries. Parents Robert Clark and Marion Jardine.

Monica  :)

Offline bkerr1980

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 16 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I think you and I may be researching the same family tree. I am Marion Jardine Clark's great-grandson.  Her son, John Clark, was my grandfather, so it seems very likely that your grandfather and my grandfather were brothers. 

We know that my grandfather had 2 brothers (Jim and Grant) and 2 sisters (Flora and Margaret) but we are not aware of there being a brother called Peter.  Is it possible that your grandfather, although christened Peter, was known as Grant? We know that Grant Clark, my Papa's brother emigrated to Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) many years ago and that his son passed away in a bus accident whilst there. Is this your wing of the family?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

You can pm me on (*)

Brian Kerr

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Margaret64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a cousin of Grant Clark.  His mother was my Auntie Mame (Marion).  I used to get a Christmas card and a letter from Grant and June but when that stopped maybe 10 years ago I never heard what happened to them.  My father was Alexander Clark - Mame"s youngest brother. I am the youngest of his six, so a huge age gap in the cousins generations.
 I've come to dead end the Grant side of the family tree. Can't find anything about William Grant before he married in 1863.
Hope to hear from you,
Margaret.

Offline Ann570

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
I am also researching the Clark family tree.  My father was John Clark, son of your Aunt Mame (Marion Jardine Clark).  I only met Mame a couple of times and don't really know very much about her.  The people we had most contact with were my father's sisters, Flora and Margaret.  I knew of his brother  Grant and June (Grant's wife) but sadly never met them.  I am however in contact with their daughter via Facebook.  I would really like to find out more about Mame and the rest of the family so it would be great to hear from you.
Ann