Author Topic: Emigration of Alldred on SS Coptic 1886  (Read 3274 times)

Offline mrs templeton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emigration of Alldred on SS Coptic 1886
« on: Monday 18 April 05 21:47 BST (UK) »
In 1886 my great grandfather arrived in New Zealand listed as Mr J. Alldred and family (3) I presume it was him, his wife (christina maiden name unknown) and one or two of the three children they had.  Family members here in N.Z. don't know where they came from.  They were aboard the S.S. Coptic which arrived in Port Chalmers on 16th of April 1886 via Cape Town where 52 passengers embarked port of departure in the U.K. was Portsmouth in Feb/March. 1886
Does anyone know where I could find a detailed list of the passengers and if possible where they originally lived. ???
Thompson, Lowe, Willis, Noyes, Silk, Alldred, Brown,Donelly

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Alldred on SS Coptic 1886
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
Not much hope I'm afraid but perhaps you might know the names of any children already born by 1881 - that might just help, only perhaps. But, here is an odd coincidence as the names Alldred and SS Coptic pop up again:
http://wwhttp://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3767/is_200111/ai_n9018062w.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3767/is_200111/ai_n9018062
 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
I see that link did not work but it was about a famous NZ doctor Alldred who, in 1920, went as Medical Officer on the SS Coptic.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:16 BST (UK) »
Gill

List all the names of the kids an approx DOB of everyone.And one of us WILL find where they came from.

It's quite an unusual name. ;D

ATB

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs templeton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
Joseph was born in 1884 where I don't know.  He always said he was born in Dunedin but obviously not.  The parents were James and Christina, Ernest was born in 1887 in New Zealand and there was also a daughter Maud don't know when or where she was born.

GILL
Thompson, Lowe, Willis, Noyes, Silk, Alldred, Brown,Donelly