Author Topic: Seeking BEARD watermen  (Read 23429 times)

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking BEARD watermen
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
That's okay Peter.
A distant relative had done some research on the my Cullis' family and referenced it in his documents, it was only luck that I stumbled upon it! Glad to share it, as knew so many people were hoping to view the original!

Although the Cullis mentions in this document are not particularly proud ones, haha

Penny

Offline bjcomox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 April 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather, Thomas Heighway 1815, and his father were both watermen and according to the 1841 census were neighbours, page 3, of Thomas Beard, pg 4. Thanks so much for the photo. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
Heighway
Ferguson
Dimond
Willmott
Griffiths
Hoskins

Offline NewEnglander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 April 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
VERY interested in this thread!  Not descended from Beard (that I know), but my cousin, Brian and I are researching a Thomas Heighway, waterman who lived at Werps 1840s, so this is wonderful, historical information for both of us!

I am in the US, Brian is in the UK, and suggested I view this thread. 

THANK YOU for posting this, and for the wonderful photo later in the thread.  I don't know how to respond directly to that poster, but what might be the date of that great photo?

Thank you,
Marilyn
DC, USA

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 April 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Marilyn

Steve Dewhirst at the Broseley History Society advised me that the exact date is not known but the picture was published as a postcard entitled "The last Shropshire Sailing Barge" and he thought it would put it in the early 1890s.

I have the census for 1881 and 1891 which shows my great-grandfather George Stephan and his grandfather Thomas Beard aboard the 'William', so I'm pretty sure it has to be them in the picture!

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 April 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather, Thomas Heighway 1815, and his father were both watermen and according to the 1841 census were neighbours, page 3, of Thomas Beard, pg 4. Thanks so much for the photo. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a photo of the Werps if its of any interest to you?
(I can email you the higher quality version if you want it, it was too large to upload here)

I was also given this link (again by Steve Dewhirst of the Broseley History Society), which is the tithe map. He said that it shows plot 762 as Public House, Stables, yard & garden owned by Thomas Beard. We believe this is the General Gordon Pub as they were shown there in the 1901 census after being aboard the 'William'- my Dads middle names is Gordon too! lol
When you match it to the tithe map, it looks like its the white building at the back with the dormer windows.

http://www.broseley.org.uk/TitheMap/Broseley%20Tithe%20Map%2022.jpg

If you email Steve (*)he might be able to tell you what plots your ancestor owned :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline NewEnglander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
penbox86:

Yes, would love a photo of the Werps.  (*)  THX!

I will contact Steve of the Broseley HS.  A distant Heighway cousins had been to the site and described it to me in a ltr about 10 years ago.  She's more closely related to cousin Brian, who I believe is bjcomox, unless we have another cousins out there researching this line.

According to Helen Stansmore, a Heighway descendant:

“Thomas lived at the Tuckies (so named after the farmer named Tucker), a short walk around the bend [from where his father lived at Werps, on the Servern River].  His cottage – one of a half dozen back to back – formed the foundation of some pig sties now standing in their place.  A very ancient lady in a charming adjacent cottage gave me the information on the original cottages.  These details of domicile are taken from the 1841 census records.”

Helen died about 10 years ago.

My Davies line  married into the Heighways and were also in/around this area about 1800-1850s.

Thanks again for your interest and assistance!

Marilyn

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mairlyn

Just sending you the photo now!

The Tuckies is also on the map (the west)  - there are a couple of groups of back-to-back houses on the map that your descendant may have lived in. I'm sure Steve will be able to help you pinpoint which one it is, as theyre all numbered up!

I did find this photo awhile ago of the Tuckies - although its very very small. Steve may have a better copy too...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Tuckies_c1900.jpg/220px-Tuckies_c1900.jpg

I just went on Google Street View and the one lot of back-to-backs (744 etc) are still there! I will email you that photo too!! xx

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
Tithe Map extract

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 April 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
I also took a photograph of the Tuckies Memorial bridge when I was there last year visiting the site of the former Werps :)