Author Topic: ROBERT EDWARDS of Llandderfel and JANE EVANS  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERT EDWARDS of Llandderfel and JANE EVANS
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking for  any information on the family of  Robert Edwards of LLandderfel   who married Jane Evans  21.11.1758 at  Pennant Melangell.  Witnesses John Evans and John Thomas.

Aldeas

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERT EDWARDS of Llandderfel and JANE EVANS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
This may not be the same person, unless he married again late in life, but there is a will at the National Library for a Roberts Edwards of Llandderfel who had a wife, Jane.

It made on 7th February 1758 but might be 1759 if using the old calender. It was proved in 1768 and so he may have lived for ten years after making it.

He has grandsons with the surname of Thomas and Roberts and a daughter, Margaret.

Regards,
David

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest.  I will check this out but my ancestor died in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog in 1778 leaving Jane his widow and about 5 children.    There are unfortunately several marriages for a Robert Edwards and Jane  in Denbighshire and surrounding areas about 1756-58 and I am having difficulty proving which is the correct one.

Regrds Aldeas

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
You may have seen this already, but I checked again and there is a bond following the death of Roberts Edwards in 1778, signed with the marks of Jane Edwards and John Thomas.

It gives no other details of his family or property.

David

Offline Aldeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David.  Yes, I have seen the bond for 1778 and this is my ancestor.  I have been trying to trace who John Thomas of Llanrhaeadr  ym Mochant mentioned in the bond might be.  During my research I found the marriage  in 1758 of  Robert Edwards of LLandderfel to Jane Evans in Pennant Melangell and a John Thomas was a witness  but this may be just a coincidence.  The area is quite a way from where Robert was farming when he died (Megain, LLanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog ) so I have no way of telling if this is the right couple.  They could have moved, of course,after their marriage.  As you say the bond doesn't give any family details.  I gather he may have died young as there is no Will.  The mystery deepens!!

Regards Ann

Offline Whoisit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David.  Yes, I have seen the bond for 1778 and this is my ancestor.  I have been trying to trace who John Thomas of Llanrhaeadr  ym Mochant mentioned in the bond might be.  During my research I found the marriage  in 1758 of  Robert Edwards of LLandderfel to Jane Evans in Pennant Melangell and a John Thomas was a witness  but this may be just a coincidence.  The area is quite a way from where Robert was farming when he died (Megain, LLanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog ) so I have no way of telling if this is the right couple.  They could have moved, of course,after their marriage.  As you say the bond doesn't give any family details.  I gather he may have died young as there is no Will.  The mystery

Regards Ann

I know this is an old thread but Robert is also my ancestor. Ann, how did you get on with your search?