Author Topic: Gaw/Patterson/Kyles/Lusk/Fleck  (Read 12624 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gaw/Patterson/Kyles/Lusk/Fleck
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 January 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
... Especially for the information on my Great Grandfather William Thomas Fulton.  I have tried very hard to find information on him and his family.  Unfortunately living in the United States and the fact that so many people in Ulster are named William Fulton only makes matters more difficult.  The fact that you have an age during the time of his death certainly gives me a lot of room to do research. ...

I may have found William Thomas Fulton's family- what is his father's occupation on the 1914 marriage certificate? and what's listed as William Thomas Fulton, address? also names of both witnesses please?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sooneratsaxpn1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 January 15 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,
I am afraid that we really honestly don't know the occupation of the father of William Thomas Fulton.  I know the last address of where they resided at the time of his death: 40 Knockbreda Road Belfast and the date of the marriage is Jan 7, 1914.  Other then that my father didn't even know any details of his grandfather since he died when my father was only seven.  My father believed that the family of William Thomas Fulton mostly came from County Tyrone or Country Antrim but was uncertain.  I do know that William Thomas Fulton was the Union Steward of Queens University Belfast for many years but have little information other then that.  I am very grateful if you do have any information.  Thanks again.  The information that Finiston and yourself have provided has provided much information and can't wait to share it with the rest of the family.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 January 15 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   William Thomas Fulton married Matilda Billinghurst in St. Marks Ballysillan Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast on 7 Jan 1914. The fathers' names were William Thomas Fulton and Alfred Thomas Billinghurst.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 January 15 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Any chance that you've heard of any Fulton connections (aunts, uncles, cousins)? any mention of New Zealand?

Offline Sooneratsaxpn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 January 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I honestly don't know if there are any connections in New Zealand but very possible.  I know there are some connections on my fathers' paternal family in Australia.  I really don't know about New Zealand. 

Offline Sooneratsaxpn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 February 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Not to be off topic but I am afraid that I am somewhat ignorant about the ability to search for information on the GRONI website or the Belfast Telegraph archives and was asking for advice.  I know some have gathered information from those sources but when I search for the same information I am unable to locate any information or even a mention of a certain sir name.  Does anyone possibly know what I am doing wrong?  Thank you for your time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 February 15 11:17 GMT (UK) »
GRONI's site is quite easy to use but sometimes, as with other sites, less is better. You can use the 'begins with' option to search for the start of a surname which often finds mistranscriptions and don't select the district in case someone was born, married or died in a place you weren't suspecting.

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Finiston,

You probably are aware of the following already, but just in case you don't, there is a gravestone at C.O.I. Islandmagee for Fleck. It reads;

Erected by Margaret Fleck in memory of her husband ROBERT FLECK who died at sea 1884 aged 55 years. Also her mother Elizabeth McATAMNEY who died 1863 aged43 years. And her father John McATAMNEY who died 1888 aged 77 years. The above Margaret Fleck died 7th Oct. 1908.

This may not be your family but is certainly worth a look.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Finiston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi J.A.M.   Thanks for passing that on. I found a number of Flack/Fleck graves when I was in Islandmagee a few years ago but I can't tie any of them to my family. My Robert Fleck would have been born around 1820 to 1825 but I can't find a record of his birth, marriage or death. His daughter Ellen, my great grandmother, was born in 1844 so for the one you mention to be him would mean that he was 14 or 15 years old at that time. Not impossible I guess but not too likely.

Thanks again........Brian
Northern Ireland:  Skinner,  Patterson,  Flack (Fleck),  Lusk,  Gaw,  Green,   Mahon, Kyles,  Reid.

Leicestershire:  Skinner,  Hickling, Dobney, Wells.

London area:  Mihill.