Author Topic: Cheakley of Appleby in Westmorland  (Read 10480 times)

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheakley of Appleby in Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 July 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thomas & Elizabeth nee Wilkinson Baptism of Charles 1811 Living in Battlebarrow and is in St Michaels BMD, not St Lawrence. Which would be right as Battlebarrow is in St Michaels Parish.

William and Ann Have the following children christened and are living in Battlebarrow
Thomas 1814
William jnr 1815
Mary 1817
John 1820
James 1823
Mason 1825
Eleanor 1827
William sen is entered as a Drainer or Land Drainer for all of these
So William who went to Skipton and returned 1832 must be junior
I have no Marriages or burials for the Cheakley/Checkley Family not in Appleby
will keep looking

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks again!

Thomas is William Snr's brother.  He married Elizabeth Wilkinson on 12 Mar 1808 in Hothfield, Kent.  They had a son William born in 1808 in Kent before they moved to Appleby where Charles was born in 1811.  I haven't been able to trace them after that date.  The surname is very difficult to trace as there are so many variants

Thomas & William were both born in Warwickshire & then moved to Ashford with their parents .  William moved to Skipton where he married & had a daughter Elizabeth who according to the NBI died in Westmorland in 1829 followed by brother Thomas in 1832.  William Snr died in Skipton in 1837 while his wife Anne died in 1839.  I can trace the rest of the family to their deaths in Yorkshire but have not found anything for William Jnr so far
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Greetings Binkie
Had another look at cheakley in my database
Thomas and Elizabeth had a son baptised 1811 called charles there is nothing regards William to Thomas and Elizabeth
William and Ann have seven children baptised [this does not meen they where born] in Appleby
Battlebarrow is in St Michaels Parish aka Bongate
There is a William baptised 1815 and his father is a Land Drainer
If anything else comes up then will pass it on
Regards

Offline GBBB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just found your posts from ? 2013.

Have just started on the Cheakleys and found similar information to other posters. Nobody has mentioned another puzzling item - from the Leeds Mercury, 29th August 1812. Messrs Cheakley & Mason, Druggists, Skipton, selling their premises (Col.4, 5th item down). Was this a short-lived venture and the reason for going to Appleby?

If you sign up to Lancashire Libraries you can get access to the newspaper archive using your membership number to log in and view the article.

Regards

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Well done, you!

Apologies for the delay in replying but I had to use British Newspaper Archives to find the article & it didn't recognise 'Cheakley' so I had to find it under Mason.

William Cheakley married Ann Mason in 1810 in Skipton so that would account for the name. Their first child was born in Skipton but then he moved to run Chequers in High Wiend in Appleby.  The family returned to Skipton later on as both William & Ann & 5 or 6 of their children died if consumption, some in Appleby & some in Skipton.  I'm going to try to find out more from Trade Directories
Thanks again - which Cheakley are you related to?
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline GBBB3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
If anybody is still looking at this page, here is my research:
William Checkley (the spelling changed to Cheakley when he moved north) was born in Kite's Hardwick, Warwickshire and christened in the local parish church at Leamington Hastings on 6th October 1782 (might have been a late baptism). He was buried in Skipton on 8th June 1837. His father, also William, was married in Leamington Hastings on 21st June 1779, to Elizabeth Meeke. William senior moved to Ashford in Kent, date unknown. In the 1841 Census he is living with his daughter Ann, both born out of county. By the 1851 and 1861 Census, William has died (1844) but Ann and her sister Mary gave their birthplace as Hardwick, Warwicks, which enables the family to be found. William senior's age at death gives a birthdate of circa 1760. There are no William Checkleys born in Leamington Hastings/Kites Hardwick at this time but there is a likely birth at Ryton on Dunsmore (bpt 5th April 1761, s. of Thomas and Ann).
There are 12 surviving settlement certificates for Leamington Hastings (Warwicks Archives ref.  DR0043A/96-106) which I checked in December and none relate to the names Checkley or variants, so the link with Ryton on Dunsmore cannot be proved.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 January 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

Yes this member was last online on Christmas eve.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 January 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the info. I haven't looked at this branch for a long time so will have to get my thinking cap on.
Thanks again!