Author Topic: Cheakley of Appleby in Westmorland  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheakley of Appleby in Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 July 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thomas & Elizabeth nee Wilkinson Baptism of Charles 1811 Living in Battlebarrow and is in St Michaels BMD, not St Lawrence. Which would be right as Battlebarrow is in St Michaels Parish.

William and Ann Have the following children christened and are living in Battlebarrow
Thomas 1814
William jnr 1815
Mary 1817
John 1820
James 1823
Mason 1825
Eleanor 1827
William sen is entered as a Drainer or Land Drainer for all of these
So William who went to Skipton and returned 1832 must be junior
I have no Marriages or burials for the Cheakley/Checkley Family not in Appleby
will keep looking

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks again!

Thomas is William Snr's brother.  He married Elizabeth Wilkinson on 12 Mar 1808 in Hothfield, Kent.  They had a son William born in 1808 in Kent before they moved to Appleby where Charles was born in 1811.  I haven't been able to trace them after that date.  The surname is very difficult to trace as there are so many variants

Thomas & William were both born in Warwickshire & then moved to Ashford with their parents .  William moved to Skipton where he married & had a daughter Elizabeth who according to the NBI died in Westmorland in 1829 followed by brother Thomas in 1832.  William Snr died in Skipton in 1837 while his wife Anne died in 1839.  I can trace the rest of the family to their deaths in Yorkshire but have not found anything for William Jnr so far
Bowman/Burness - Angus
Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland
Miller - Orkney
Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)
Morgan - Herefordshre
Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)
Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)
Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Greetings Binkie
Had another look at cheakley in my database
Thomas and Elizabeth had a son baptised 1811 called charles there is nothing regards William to Thomas and Elizabeth
William and Ann have seven children baptised [this does not meen they where born] in Appleby
Battlebarrow is in St Michaels Parish aka Bongate
There is a William baptised 1815 and his father is a Land Drainer
If anything else comes up then will pass it on
Regards

Offline GBBB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just found your posts from ? 2013.

Have just started on the Cheakleys and found similar information to other posters. Nobody has mentioned another puzzling item - from the Leeds Mercury, 29th August 1812. Messrs Cheakley & Mason, Druggists, Skipton, selling their premises (Col.4, 5th item down). Was this a short-lived venture and the reason for going to Appleby?

If you sign up to Lancashire Libraries you can get access to the newspaper archive using your membership number to log in and view the article.

Regards

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Well done, you!

Apologies for the delay in replying but I had to use British Newspaper Archives to find the article & it didn't recognise 'Cheakley' so I had to find it under Mason.

William Cheakley married Ann Mason in 1810 in Skipton so that would account for the name. Their first child was born in Skipton but then he moved to run Chequers in High Wiend in Appleby.  The family returned to Skipton later on as both William & Ann & 5 or 6 of their children died if consumption, some in Appleby & some in Skipton.  I'm going to try to find out more from Trade Directories
Thanks again - which Cheakley are you related to?
Bowman/Burness - Angus
Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire
Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland
Miller - Orkney
Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)
Morgan - Herefordshre
Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)
Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)
Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)