Author Topic: British Commonwealth Occupation Forces,Japan  (Read 3484 times)

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
  • under extreme attack but not intimidated
    • View Profile
British Commonwealth Occupation Forces,Japan
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
My late father,T,S.H.Milward of the R.A.N. was stationed at the former Japanese Naval Base at I think,Kure,Japan post surrender of the Japanese Imperial Forces in 1945.He was based at "H.M.S. Commonwealth" there in between ferrying Japanese soldiers back to Japan and Commonwealth forces to and from Japan on the H.M.A.S. Manoora and other ships.
I have also seen correspondence amongst his papers that mentions a "B.C.O.F. medal but there is certainly no such medal on the board of medals I am proud to have,which belonged to him.
Can anyone tell me about such a medal and if one exists,is there an image I can view ?
 I cannot locate one anywhere on the internet.
Any assistance with my questions above are very welcome.
Thank you !
phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

You are invited to search "Surname interests" that I have logged.-Thank you !

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: British Commonwealth Occupation Forces,Japan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Like the Bomber Command and the POW medals, the    British Commonwealth Occupation Forces medal is a non-official commemorative medal.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/heraldry/REL31003.006

K

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
This medal http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/c/c3.html was issued to all NZ Navy Army and Airforce personel who served with J Force

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 11 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Like the Bomber Command and the POW medals, the    British Commonwealth Occupation Forces medal is a non-official commemorative medal.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/heraldry/REL31003.006

K
k, thank you so much for your time and  the information on the unofficial occupation medal. I see that there is this example in the Australian War Memorial Museum so does that mean it has somehow been recognised as a medal that has "merit ?"
If one had one and had been with the BCOF Japan,could he wear it along with his other medals without being criticised ?
I am really confused about the standing of unofficial medals and why unofficial medals would be made if they could never be worn or displayed and why Governments do not recognise such  events or groups of servicemen such as BCOF,Bomber Command, and POWs.
If you have time,could you educate me about this ?
Thank you so much for your kindness.
Cheers,
phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 11 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Commemorative medals are a tricky issue, as far as wearing them. Veterans now do sometimes wear them but they have no order of precedance so should always be worn at the end of all officially awarded medals, and preferably not alongside but below official medals or on lapels.

As to why governements haven't recognised these medals, for example the Bomber Command medal (depsite a massive campaign for this to be officially recognised), the reasoning is rather obtuse.  But a google of bomber command medal will bring up a lot of hits discussing this issue.

K

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 11 03:56 GMT (UK) »
k,thank you. I will do what you have so kindly suggested.I really want to understand the issues.
On the face of it,Governments seem to be mean spirited about recognising acts and campaigns they commit our warriors to.,or if they do,it comes so late as to not be enjoyed by the persons who earned them.
I would have thought that within reason,and so as not to corrupt the significance of medals commemorating certain campaigns,they could strike a medal for significant events. I realise you can't have medals struck for each and every campaign or action-that would make a mockery of the system,but additionally,delaying ,sometimes for decades,the approval and striking of a particular medal also is akin to reluctantly acknowledging one should have been struck years before,and does not match the speed at which Governments commit personnel to actions and campaigns in the first place.
I get very confused by this kind of thinking.
I appreciate your time very much !
Cheers,
phipps