Author Topic: Bussell/Mitchell  (Read 16779 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bussell/Mitchell
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Jane Mitchell  was born around 1855  and married John Bussell on 15/7/1873 at the meeting house, Tempo Presbyterian Church.Witnesses are a Hugh Best and a name I can not read--perhaps a J C Leudrum? Her address was given as Clogher, Co Tyrone. Johns address as  Newry co Down. His profession as Clerk. His fathers name as William ,a farmer.

Father to Jane was William Mitchell born about 1813 and died 1888.His  father  was Thomas from Commohy in the parish of Aughalurcher . William and his family farmed in  Tattynuckle and Dooederny before moving to Whitpark house in Brookbrough(.Interestingly He had also married a Bussell )Her mother was Jane Bussell whose father was Edward Bussell who died around 1861. This Bussell farmed around 300 acres in townlands of garrowroosky,Corsenshin,Windhill

Neither Jane on John are on the 1901/11 Irish census ---Which suggests they may have left Ireland. Jane was  one of 4 Mitchell sisters--Isabella(Dunlop),Sarah Anne(Graham--who also appears to have left Ireland) and Margaret(Hurst). Her brothers were Edward the MP ,Robert who drowned in 1888 (report in Fermanagh Times 31 may 1888 )and William Henry a merchant who lived in Hampstead Middlesex London.

Interested in any information.

Tempogold

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bussell/Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 14:22 GMT (UK) »
John Bussell and Jane Mitchell had a few children whose ages and birthdates might help locate them in other records- (see https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records)
1. Edith born 26 Apr.1874 Clones, Co.Monaghan
2. John Henry Alexander born 15 Mar.1878 Clone, Cp.Monaghan
3. Eduard Alfred [Edward?] born 23 Apr.1880 Cling [Clones?], Co.Monaghan

Think this might be John and Jane Bussell in 1911 census- Janet is a form of Jane, John's born in Fermanagh (and Janet in Tyrone) and 2 daughters there in Monaghan-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Lisburn_Road/169442

Can't find in 1901 yet (have a feeling name is mis-transcribed) but will do a bit more searching.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
It's no wonder they were hard to find in 1901- transcribed as Wm Russell although scanned image shows John Bussell!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000343099/

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much.
As you can see just starting out on the Mitchells. Would really like to find out were my 2xG grandfather William Mitchell  mentioned above was born in1813.He dies 17/12/1888 Brookeborough. Lived at Whitpark House--its no longer there--wonder how to find a Photograph ??.  .

Unable to find marriage records ( William to Jane Bussell) or his grave. Seems records poor for Presbyterians. His daughter Isabella Dunlop buried at Colebrooke Church in 1918 but I can find no grave for him or his wife.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Any idea when William Mitchell and Jane/M.S. Bussell married? (where did you find her 'first' name as M.S.?)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 February 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Not really but given the 7 children by 1860 with the 4th --Jane (latter Bussell as above)born  in 1851 ,I would think around 1845 .---but very much a guess.
The name came from the death certificate of their son William Henry Mitchell ,a merchant ,who died glasgow on 21/10/1908 . Scottish people site ref 644/100417.  Glasgow City/Lanark,Blythswood,Field A.Original 55.
Under mothers name it  says Jane mitchell then below that M S Bussell. William senior( died 17/12 /1888 Brookeborough) in his will, which is on the PRONI site ,talks of his wife as Jane--so no help there.
catheyt

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 February 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
As I suspected earlier- "Jane mitchell then below that M S Bussell" M.S. = Maiden Surname.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 February 11 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks--one mystery solved.

Offline B Sean McGivern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
I have a family tree of the Mitchell Family Commencing with William Mitchell and Jane Bussell :)