Author Topic: Bussell/Mitchell  (Read 16778 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bussell/Mitchell
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Suggest you sent me a personal message .If you have a tree on Ancestry is it public ?. Happy to look at it and comment. So can share information using the Personal Message system. If you want to put your e mail there I can send you some material. But it wont be straight away .
Regards

Offline DenisBarclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hoping you received the personal message just sent; I can't see it anymore..
Cheers
barclay bussell langfield burt

Offline Maureen59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hope I am not too late to come in on this conversation. I have definitely hit a brick wall with Isabella Bussell who came to Australia around 1861. Her Australian death record (from Ancestry.com) names her parents as Jos and Fanny. An Australian newspaper article at the time of her death reports that she was from Fermanagh, but no more details. I have noticed in this thread, lots of familiar family names, and am hoping that somehow I might find some information for my 94 year old Mother-in-Law, who has a memory of her spinster Aunts, sisters to her Mother, visiting Northern Ireland to visit Bussell relatives. Looking forward to a reply. Maureen.

Part two: maybe Jos and Fanny were not Isabella's parents, as reported in the Australian Death Record. Isabella's Husband Henry Hodgson, born Lancashire England has his parents recorded on his Batism certificate also as Joseph and Fanny. What are the chances? Perhaps there was a mistake when recording Isabella's death?

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Just had a quick look at what I have on the Bussel/Bushell (and variants) of Fermanagh. I can only find one Isabella (Bushel) that may fit the bill.  Baptised COI Lisnaskea on 26 Oct 1818 Father shown as John, Mother Saragh living at Maguiresbridge. Does your death record give an approximate age (birth year)? Remember my reference above is the Baptism date so birth could have been a few days to a couple of years before. However where birth dates have been recorded in this register, most seem to be within a couple of months before, on average.

Other children to John and Saragh:
John 21 May 1807 (Surname Shown as Rushel in transcription)
Alexander 17 Nov 1812 (Birth) 2 Feb 1813 (Baptism)
and Mary 30 Dec 1816 (Baptism)

Occupation for the Father John is not shown on any of the above Baptisms.

Do any of the sibling ring any bells? Any others listed with her on the immigration information?

One final note, "Joseph" is only found once in my research as a second name for William Joseph Bussell (1875) from Anaghrane, Brookborough. I have no other references of Joseph as a common family name within this family.

Hope it's of use, even for elimination.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
453 matches for Bussell on fermanaghgold      http://search.atavus.org/  put in Surname!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maureen59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 20 October 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much. I have now ruled out Isabella's parents as Joseph and Fanny, and with the links provided have possibly found her. The year of birth I have given her and the names she went on to give her children (same as her siblings) make me fairly sure the only Isabella in Fermanagh at that time, is her.
Thank you so much Rusty for looking into your records. You were very kind and helpful to do that for me. I really appreciate the effort you went to.
I hope somehow one day I can be as helpful to someone else as you both have been to me.

Offline brucesaho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 October 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have just registered with Rootschat and came across this post. Not sure if it is ok but I thought I would add to this post for anone interested, details on my GGGGrandmother Jane Bushel/Bussell who came from Aghavea. She married George Kells at Aghavea Parish Church on 15/8/1835. They had 5 children born in Ireland George, John, May Ann, Eliza Jane and Richard - of which I can only find baptism records for John and Eliza Jane (at Aghavea). They moved to Wakefield, Yorkshire around 1847 as their daughter Martha is nor there. In 1854 their last son William was born.
In 1851 Census lists her age is 33, George is 43. Also there is Jane Bushel's sister Mary 23.

As I have no records before their marriage I can't say if Jane is any connections to Bussel's discussed here, but just posting in case it is of interest.