Author Topic: The YELL family in Hull  (Read 4215 times)

Offline SIMON6135

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The YELL family in Hull
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm still fairly new to this interest and am wondering if anybody out there could help with a query I have come across. It concerns a David Yell born in Q4 1874 in Hull. I can find birth, marriage and death records from various free to use websites (what would you expect from a Yorkshireman!!) but no details that would allow me to trace his parents.

There is a Yell family listed in Hull in the 1881 census which could possibly be his, again an assumption, as there is a gap the birth years of the children which would suit David quite well. His father is listed as William from Walpole, mother is Annie from Neston, brothers Fred and William from Hull and finally Henrietta, his sister. Their birth years are 1840, 1841, 1869, 1870, and 1876 respectively. As you can see David would fit well in the gap.

The parents are from Norfolk and I know from his Granddaughter that there is / was a Norfolk connection in the Family in the past although it could well be from David’s wife, Edith whose family also have Norfolk connection. It is believed that David was in the Navy but whether it was royal or merchant is not yet known.
If anybody has any thoughts or ideas I’d be most grateful to hear from them.

Simon
BEESTON LEEDS & HULL
WATTS HULL & BEVERLEY
STEPHENSON HULL & BEVERLEY
CLARKSON HULL

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THE YELL FAMILY IN HULL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Strange that hes not on 1881 or 1891 with same family?
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
This might be helpful but there is a David Well in 1881 in the Hull workhouse as a pauper inmate. He is the right age and if you look at the way the enumerator has written the y in yorkshire it looks the same, I dont think it is a w

Povey/Upton/Bevan/Harvey/Powell/stokes staffs
Fellows/Overfield/Fullwood Wor
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Walter 'Well' aged 3 from Hull in the next entry.

The names are in alphabetical order so the surname Well would be in the wrong place but not if it were Yell... :)
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I,d agree with momo22 it does look like Yell not Well on the image
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 a Walter Yell is in Hull Workhouse same age and place of birth as 1881. David is not there, he's about 17 now so perhaps he has got a job/joined the Navy?
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Theres a marriage between a David Yell and Millicent Cherry 1874 at Sculcoates Register Office Hull.David appears to be the brother of William you found in 1881 ,hes on 71 census living with William and Ann ,Fred and William H

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
In free BMD there is a death of an Anne Yell aged 29 in Hull. Could this be mom?

Perhaps you need to purchase David's birth certificate to give you idea of parents
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline SIMON6135

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all who replied, it's much appreciated and hopefully I've learned a little more about this pastime.

I assumed that all the names I had viewed would be correct, i.e. spelt correctly, I'd never have thought of looking under Well and not Yell.

A quick look through free BMD (free again you’ll notice, me being a Yorkshireman!) revealed no trace of either a David or a Walter Well but both show up as Yell which supports the theory that the census image is Yell and not Well as does Walter’s mention in the 1891 census.

The death of Anne Yell seems to fit in with what I have as well as family recollections as to where she came from.

I've just ordered David's birth certificate so in a few days time I'll know for sure (hopefully!) once I do I'll post the results.

Once again many thanks to you all.

Simon
BEESTON LEEDS & HULL
WATTS HULL & BEVERLEY
STEPHENSON HULL & BEVERLEY
CLARKSON HULL