Author Topic: Old photo for dating restoration and identification??  (Read 7447 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
Re: Old photo for dating restoration and identification??
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

I'm not quite sure yet where the connection is.  My ancestors were in Lowick from the 18th century - the Hoggs, Pearsons, Simmons, Hallidays were some names.  Are any of these names familiar to you.
My 3 x great aune Jane Isabella Pearson married Robert Murray, an only child of William and Ann Murray.
The 1851 census  for Lowick, shows William Murray, a lime carter living at number 12 with his wife and son Robert aged 16.  William & Catherine Pattie and their 4 children are  shown living at number 20 and the Pearsons are living at number 81.
I'll try to find out more to put the pieces together.  I also went through some of the postcards I have and found this one from Jane Isabella to her great niece, Milly, my grandmother.
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:14 GMT (UK) »
whoops...sorry, wrong post card

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
 ???

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
....the postcard posted from Lowick 4 May 1908

message on card....Dear Milly I hope you are a good girl and going to school every day and better of cold. We have had very cold weather plenty of snow but rain last week. everybody has been bad with the cold. Be a good girl and go to Sunday School and chapel then you shall come to Lowick for your holiday then you will take Charly out for a walk. Tell Ma I got parcel on Saturday thankyou much xxxxx aunt Jenny

Offline JulieCG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 November 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
I am involved with Lowick Heritage Group and was very pleased to discover these posts with the old photo and details of the family. I have a photo showing the run of cottages, including Robert Murrays shop, (which was replaced by Bookless Motors) but it is too large to attach. Any ideas? I have not posted before.  I have attached an account of the fire that burnt it down in January 1939. Jean or Jane Armstrong was the niece of Jane Isabella Murray (Pearson), I have one or two other clippings from the newspapers that might be of interest but will have to post separately.
LHG recently had a Heritage Weekend, displaying over 80 photos of buildings. we are keen to research the history of as many of the properties as possible. Some inhabitants of Lowick remember the fire.
Julie