Author Topic: Cronin family help  (Read 11981 times)

Offline Lauz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Cronin family help
« on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me please i am finding doing my Irish family tree very hard, however i have found a little information out.

My great grandfather is Bartholomew Cronin b. 1871, County limerick his parents i believe are called John Cronin and Mary Murnane but this is all i can find out about them.
Bartholomew married a lady called Johanna Kelly she was born 1871, bruree her parents were Michael Kelly and Honora (Hogan) believe this was her married name as on her marriage certificate to Michael it said previously married. Honora's father's name was given as Hugh Lavelle so i presume she was born as Honora Lavelle in Limerick. Michael's father i believe is called James Kelly.
Just wondering if anybody recognizes these family names or if anyone can help me further with my research i would be extremely grateful.
Thanks Lauz.
Worcestershire - Cook(e), Moule, Carter and Wright.

West Midlands - Layton, Hackett and Crampton.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Cronin family help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather is Bartholomew Cronin b. 1871, County limerick his parents i believe are called John Cronin and Mary Murnane but this is all i can find out about them.

Do you have a marriage cert for Bartholomew ?

This would give you his father's name and occupation, which might be useful to confirm, or rule out, any births you find. You can search the civil index for possible births for Bartholomew and also for the marriage of his parents, but note that full civil registration did not start until 1864 (1845 for non-Catholic marriages), so you would need to check for available parish records for earlier details.

Any idea of what part of Co. Limerick your Cronin family lived ?

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lauz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes i ordered Batholomew's wedding entry off Irish Roots He was married on the 18th June 1892 in Kilmallock. It was a civil record and it stated father as John Cronin occupation labourer and thats about it really.
My family came from Kilmallock a few i have found coming from Bruree just down the road from Kilmallock but i believe Bartholomew was from Kilmallock. Bartholomew's mother was Hanora Murnane not Mary like i put in the previous post.
Many thanks for replying :o)
Worcestershire - Cook(e), Moule, Carter and Wright.

West Midlands - Layton, Hackett and Crampton.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:44 GMT (UK) »
A possible birth record for Bartholomew (extracted civil record)

Name: Bartholomew Cronin
 Birth date:   01 Sep 1871
 Birthplace : Kilmallock
 Reference : 367
 Father's name: John Cronin
 Mother's name: Hanora Murnane

Kilmallock in this case is probably refers to the superintendents district. The reference number can be used to locate the correct civil index record - i.e. :

Name: Bartholomew Cronin
 Registration district: Kilmallock
 Event type: Birth
 Year: 1871
 Volume : 15 / Page : 367

You can use the above details to order a birth cert from the GRO which will give a bit more detail  - such as a more detailed place of birth and father's occupation.

see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
CRONIN, EDMOND THOMAS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Australian Army Medical Corps. Unit; 1st Australian General Hospital. Age at Death, 24. Date of Death: 07-May-1917. Service No: 4283. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Margaret Cronin, of Knockanure, Newtownsandes, Limerick, Ireland.

Offline AllegraSleep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Timothy Cronin (born about 1850) and his wife Mary (maiden name Ryan, born about 1855) from Limerick. They were married in 1875, and they had a son (my great great grandfather) Edward Patrick Cronin, born 29th May 1877, who ended up emigrating to Chicago and marrying Mary Frances "Molly" Liston from Cork, on April 26, 1905.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the birth date for Edward? The closest I can find is Edmund Cronin to Timothy Cronin and Mary Ryan 29 May 1873 Kilduff County Limerick. The registration district is Tipperary.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03196/2172117.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
I didn't post it earlier but his baptism is in Pallasgreen
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0279
The marriage might be there as well.