Author Topic: David Pugh Skreen Llandelo Graban 1811  (Read 9732 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
David Pugh Skreen Llandelo Graban 1811
« on: Monday 21 February 11 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Isabella Pugh who married William Williams and emigrated from Wales to America with their children about 1820. I have researched David Pugh from Skreen Farm in Llandeilo Graban, Radnorshire, and he was one of the early pioneers in Ohio, USA. I think one of his sisters was Isabella Pugh. I found a copy of a will made by David Pugh of Skreen in 1811, and he died leaving a wife Mary and six children. I found seven children baptised in Tredustan with David Pugh, father in the 1770s. These include a David and an Isabel.
I would like to know if anyone can relate Isabella Pugh to David Pugh, Skreen. In particular if there is any information on a marriage between William Williams and Isabella Pugh. I have some data from Family Search but it is not clear where Isabella Pugh and William Williams got married, or even if Isabella was connected to the Pughs in Skreen Farm.

Many thanks for taking your time to read this, and please don't hesitate to reply if you have any clues!
Llanfi :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline JDP2209

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Pugh Skreen Llandelo Graban 1811
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 February 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been given a date of a marriage between Isabella Pugh and William Williams in 1792, but I don't know where they got married.
I am researching the Pugh family of Llandeilo Graban (grandfather Ivor James & Greatgrandfather David Evan)
Hope this is a little bit of help to go on.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Did you get the marriage date of Isabella Pugh and William Williams from the Family Search (LDS) database?
Cheers,
Llanfi  :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 05:07 GMT (UK) »
My Wales records for Isabella Pugh came from two sources:  FreeReg and a will made by David Pugh of Skreen Farm in 1811. David Pugh was married to Mary Williams, a daughter of John Williams of Gelli Hir, Llandevalley. David Pugh's will has a reference to his "six children residing in this Kingdom". His eldest son David had emigrated to the United States and was still in Ohio in 1811, so it seems that he had at least seven children. On FreeReg I found 8 Children baptised at Tredustan that were born to "David Pugh" in the relevant time frame:

David 26 Jul 1769 Comment on Record "Father is David Pugh Jnr"
John 31 Aug 1767 Comment on Record: "Baptised soon after"
Esther 17 May 1767 Comment on record "Baptised soon after birth" Abode: Caaerbodran
Isabel 26 Jul 1772 No Comment
William 21 Apr 1775 Comment on Record "Father David Pugh Jnr"
Anne 31 Oct 1777 No Comment
Mary 10 May 1781 Comment on Record "Baptised soon after", Abode: Blaenbach
Thomas 22 Jan 1786 No Comment Abode: Blaenbach

Note, the Esther Pugh and John Pugh dates clash….. and the comment is that they were baptised soon after birth...so they weren't twins.
Anne, John, and William are noted in the 1911 will
David and Isabella are known to have emigrated to Ohio, but at different times.
Mary and Thomas are otherwise unknown but their abode "Blaenbach" is recorded as the same
So I think Esther is the odd one out..... and may not be related to David Pugh (Skreen Farm).

David and Isabella definitely emigrated to Ohio and raised families there.

Anne got married to John Shelvock, John (and his son William), and Thomas apparently stayed in Wales.

Just for the record!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :)

Offline JDP2209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm in touch with a Pugh in Canada who replied to a notice I'd placed on the free My Heritage site, he doesn't think he's related, but he's in touch with someone in USA related to Isabella Williams. He mentioned that Isabella got married in 1792. I can ask him how/where he go the information from if you want me to.

I have only just re-started my 'patchy' family tree since my nan Ena passed away recently, and not getting very far with it as yet. I've only registered with rootschat last night since reading your notice on it!

JDT

Offline JDP2209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Oops should have signed it JDP2209, I think, sorry!

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I must reveal that I am the Pugh in Canada!!!
Cheers,
LLanfi :) :D ;D

Offline JDP2209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hiya from Wales :-)
Hope you all ok, and weather's ok with you.
We've had gale force winds and floods over the last few weeks, and now having roads closed with snow just a few miles down the road!!!!! And there's a warning of snow all over Wales overnight, even where we live - and so near to the coast!
The kids will be happy if it snows :-)
Take Care
JDP2209