Author Topic: Rootschat Newby  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rootschat Newby
« on: Monday 21 February 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschat Users - may I put forward an appeal to the research gurus out there to help me in my quest for the death record of John Meynell?

John Mennel was baptised 15 Feb 1824 Bishopwearmouth Durham.  Father John Mennel (born c1783 died 28 Feb 1860 John Meynall Bishopwearmouth Sunderland), Mother Sarah Mennal (nee Vaux) (Baptised 1 Oct 1787 Auckland St Andrew Durham, Married 14 May 1809 (Memel Vaux) St Peters Monkwearmouth; burial 8 May 1864 Bishopwearmouth in which her husband is named as a Mariner).

Many variations on the surname spelling of Meynell throughout the records.

John Mennel born1824 is a Mariner when he married Sarah Dowey 1850, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

1st child Thomas Vaux Meynell born c1851 Northfleet Kent - died Birkenhead Cheshire (Wirral) c1854

Johns brother Richard Vaux Meynell resided in Northfleet/Gravesend Kent until his death in 1873.

2nd child John Meynell born c 1852 Northfleet Kent - married Mary Gibbons Sunderland 1 Dec 1871 - this John also a Mariner.   Died Sunderland 1 April 1915.  They had 6 children.

3rd child James Meynell born c1858 Birkenhead Cheshire (Wirral) where 1st child dies.

4th child Margaret Ann born c1863 Sunderland.

The only census where I have sighted John Meynell 1824 is 1841.  His wife Sarah appears in Sunderland 1861 onwards and is a widow in 1871census.  She remarries 1874 (Henderson) and is again a widow in the 1891census.

If John is the father of Margaret Ann (and he appears to be as I've yet to see her recorded as Henderson although she is living with her mother and Willm in the 1881 and is recorded as Meynell but as the 'daughter" of the head.

I have checked the findmypast records for deaths at sea with a negative result and there are no Sunderland deaths that match between 1862 and 1874 when Sarah remarries.  Have checked the deaths also on findmypast and freebmd.

Is there anyone that can't resist a challenge who is willing to help me resolve the date and place of Johns death please?

Kind regards  Clemmie

Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat Newby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome,

Whilst I do not have the expertese to help, may I offer you a warm welcome to the RC family. I'm sure many of the members will offer you help.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
There's a John Vaux Meynell DecQ1865 Gravesend 2a 201 or is that a son of Richard's?

edit: there's a possible 1860 birth for the above DecQ1860 North Aylesford 2a 290
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
thanks Angelfish - all help very much appreciated as I may not have had John Vaux so all advice and info is useful when seen through new eyes  :)

Richard Vaux Meynell baptised 25/12/1818 St Michaels Durham Bishopwearmouth.  Married Sunderland 21/7/1839 to Jane Dawson born Sunderland.
children:
Mary Ann baptised 5/7/1841 Ballast Hills Bishopwearmouth, died Southampton Hampshire 1845

Robertina bn Southampton 1842 married George Abberley 28/7/1867 St Peter & St Paul Milton by Gravesend Kent.
Jane Mynell born 1843 Southampton, died 1843 Southampton

Sarah Jane Meynell born 1846 Southampton, died 1848 North Ayelsford Kent.

Richard James born 1847 Southampton, Burial 24/9/1848 St Botolphs Northfleet Kent

Elizabeth baptised 8/10/1848 St Botolphs Northfleet, died 1848 North Ayelsford Kent

Margaret Jane baptised 5/9/1852 St Botolphs, died 1861 North Ayelsford Kent

Richard Vaux baptised 28/5/1854 St Botolphs, died 1854 Northfleet.

Wife Jane -  death registration was June Qtr 1854 Sunderland

Richard Vaux Mennel then married 4/12/1855 Northfleet Gravesend Kent, Caroline Redpath Dawson (born Sunderland)

their children:

Richard William Meynell baptised 17/12/1856 St Botolphs registered birth Nth Ayelsford Kent, married Miriam Robinson in Sunderland1883, died 1921 Sunderland.

Samuel Vaux Meynell baptised 27/3/1859 St Botolphs

John Vaux Meynell baptised 30/12/1860 St Botolphs, died Gravesend 1865

Thomas Meynell baptised 28/12/1862 Holy Trinity, Milton by Gravesend.

Richard, Samuel and Thomas returned to Sunderland possibly around the time of Richard Vaux Senior's death as they appear there during and after the 1881census.

Richard Vaux Meynell was a shipwright (Master) and had a building company in Kent.   His company is mentioned on www.thamestugs.co.uk as he built the vessel Garribaldi listed on their site (found via a google search).

Prior to this he was a partner in a Business of Iron and Wood Ship Builders, Engineers, Millwrights, Machinists, Boiler and Tank Makers, Iron and Brass Founders, General Smiths, and Mast and Block Makers - the business was based at Milton-next-Gravesend and was named Turner, Jacobs & Meynell and was amicably dissolved 17 Sept 1862 (newspaper article sent to me). 

When Richard Vaux Meynell died in 1873, according to the Wills and Probate Record, he was a 'Widow" and left 200 GBP to his 'only' next of kin (!!!) daughter, Robertina Abberley which intrigues me.

I have spent long 'sore eye' nights looking for his brother (born 1823/4), John Meynell's death record and fresh eyes are definitely needed now as per my previous request but I am also very appreciative of any further information around the shipbuilding scenario.
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Welcome,

Whilst I do not have the expertese to help, may I offer you a warm welcome to the RC family. I'm sure many of the members will offer you help.

Mike
 Thanks Mike - regards Clemmie

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth putting this forward for a Scavenger Hunt as there are a lot of experienced RootsChatters who might not make it to the Durham Board. It certainly sounds as if it could make a good one as a disappearance can suggest all sorts of intriguing possibilities.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angelfish - thank you heaps for your 'scavenger hunt' suggestion - sounds like a fabulous idea to me.  Please advise me of the procedure I need to follow to achieve this.

Many thanks.....kind regards Clemmie

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clemmie, if you go to the Common Room the Scavenger Hunt is about the eighth thread down the list, just send Tephra a Personal Message asking to go on the waiting list,not very long last time I checked, and she'll sort it all out for you.

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Angelfish, very much appreciated :)

King regards Clemmie