Author Topic: Rootschat Newby  (Read 6322 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat Newby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with his death record, but this looks like him in 1851 census

9 Horlocks Row, Northfleet, Kent,
John Maham, Visitor, Mar, 27, Shipwright, b. Sunderland, Durham
Sarah do., wife, 25, b. London,
Thomas do., son, 6 months, b. Hartlepool
HO107/1609/71/59

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
You say John Meynall and Sarah married Newcastle,

Is this chap any relation,West Gate Newcastle,
RG9/3812,   1861 census

John Manley born Brighton,aged 39 a seaman,
Ellen,aged 38,Born Newcastle
Joseph, 12
Alice, 10
Mary, 4
Esther, 2
Sarah, 6 months all born Newcastle,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Alan, that is absolutely brilliant work - thank you so much for finding John in the 1851 Census....I would never have been able to find that one on my own.  I even had difficulty looking it up with the information you provided so thanks for the additional reference details.

On Findmypast the surname is documented as Malam while Ancestry is Maham yet the name is Meynell - so many weird variations:)

Can you tell me where Hartlepool is please because I had the feeling it was around Durham way? 

Radcliff, at this stage I don't have your Newcastle lot on my radar so I'm afraid I can't say yes or no to your question, and I'm a tad confused now because John and Sarahs marriage certificate says that Sarah is of this parish (Newcastle Upon Tyne) and when I found her in the 1841 Census she was with her family under the name Dowe (parents John (born Ipswich Suffolk from memory) and Margaret)  I would have to recheck but I was sure that all the way through her place of birth was Northumberland N Upon T.   All of my research has been done in isolation so I haven't had the confidence to accept inconsistencies in data:)

Thanks to all who have contributed in helping me to date.  I should have got the courage up much earlier to ask as you are an amazingly giving bunch of clever genealogists.

Kind regards Clemmie
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Clemmie there is also a Margaret Manley born Hartlepool A/M/J 1861 (Durham) ,Sorry I cant follow this up as I dont have the facilities to do so ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Clemmie,

Hartlepool is about 20 miles south of Sunderland, on the east coast of England.

Sarah says she is born Newcastle in 1861, 1871 and 1881 census, but says born London in 1891. 

1891 census,
11 Norman St., Sunderland,
Sarah Henderson, head, wid, 54, b. London,
Margt Meynell, dau, S, 28, b. Sunderland,
James do., Gson, 4, b. Sunderland,
RG12/4136/64/52

This could be Sarah in 1901, back to being called Meynell.

1901 census,
Surtees St., Sunderland,
David McDonald, head, 39, Steam Trawler Engineer, b. Witton Park,
Margaret do., wife, 39, b. Sunderland,
Mary E. do., dau, 1, b. Sunderland,
Sarah Meynell, m. in. law, wid, 75, b. London Middlesex,
Ena do., Step dau, 14, b. Sunderland.
RG13/4715/24/40

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 22:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth on Sunderland Registrars site 1886 of a Jamesina Meynell. But no James or Ena.
I think James in 1891 aged 4 and Ena in 1901 aged 14 could be the same child.
Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Clemmie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 February 11 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh WELL picked up Alan :)

Yes, I have James and Ena on my radar - you could be right - I have been wondering where they might fit in so I will keep this in mind for future reference as I will need to buy certificates . 

I have recorded Jamesina Meynell as baptised 28/7/1886 St John Hendon - Mother's name is Margaret. Jamesina is single, age 24 in the 1911 Census but then there is a marriage in 1911 of Jamesina Meynell to Robert C Robson. 

Sarah Meynell/Henderson nee Dowey  had a daughter Margaret 1863  (she also had a grandaughter Margaret but she was born 1887 so she is out of the equation).

I also have James that I have the birth certificate for born 1895 son of James Meynell fisherman (born Birkenhead) and Barbara Meynell - formerly Purvis but I've yet to find their marriage. He was baptised 23/10/1895 St Barnabas and his parents are named as James and Barbara.   This family appear in the 1901 Census and I've yet to check the 1911C. 

I have recorded a James that married in Sunderland June 1877 (this also fits with James born Birkenhead) but he married Ellen Burnett.

They follow a curly trail these seafaring Meynells but all seem to end up back in Sunderland until they migrate though:)

I really appreciate the support I'm receiving from Rootschat folk - thank you for your part in this.

Kind regards Clemmie
Sunderland Durham, Kent - Mennell/ Mynell/Meynell Vaux Dowey Gibbons/Gibbins Dewart Haugh Calder/DNA match.
Updated 2024.  Many more names available
Long Melford Suffolk - Piper Sore Whittle Dread Bruning Durwin Howe Sansum Hardy
Enniscorthy County Wexford - Quinn Brien/Bryan Redmond Kavanagh Cullen Rourke Nowlan Byrne Power OBrien
County Down to Sunderland - marriage of Robert Dewart (born Ireland c1842) to Barbara Haugh 1869 in Sunderland, siblings Rebecca, William, Mary and more.

Offline MKRD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 December 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Re: your interest in Vaux. I have Vaux ancestors from Pocklington in Yorkshire (my G. Grandfather). He moved to Witton Patk, County Durham working in the mines. I'm still researching so don't have too much info to share yet.
Hardie, Hargy, Robertson, Vaux, Douthart, Hargie, Farrell

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 December 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi MKRD

According to their profile, Clemmie hasn't been online here since March 2016 but should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea