Author Topic: DOWDS in Fairymount, Roscommon  (Read 12317 times)

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOWDS in Fairymount, Roscommon
« on: Monday 21 February 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I have the record of my great, great grandfather who was baptised in Fairymount Roman Catholic Church on 6th November 1858.
Hi name was Robert Dowd and his parents were called John Dowd and Margaret Hogg.
Roberts sister Mary was also baptised in the same church in 1857.
The family emigrated to Cheshire, England some time between 1858 and 1864.
I am desperate to hear from anybody from the same family or from anybody who can point me in the right direction to find the mariage record of John Dowd and Margaret Hogg in Ireland.
I am also confused with what Fairymount is? The church was called Fairymount Catholic church but does anybody know the place name of said church?
Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: DOWDS in Fairymount, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Fairymount is a townland in Co. Roscommon and located about 10km north east of Roscommon town. It's in the Civil parish of Kilgefin and the RC parish of Clontuskert. Unfortunately RC parish records for this parish only go back to about 1865.

See : Parish Records for Clontuskert  (irish Times)

You can see the townland on the OSI map (click the 6" option to see the 1820s/40s map) : townland of Fairymount  I had a quick look at the townland but didn't see any RC chapel..

Shane

Note : See 2nd reply - I dont believe this is the correct Fairymount
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

Im still not quite sure what a townland is??

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
There's another Fairymount in Co. Roscommon - I think it's village. It's located in the townland of Mullaghnashee and about 9km north of the town of Castlerea.

The church is shown on the old OSI map - see : Mullaghnashee townland / Fairymount Church

The church was rebuilt in 1876, just up the road from the location of the older building - see :  Church of the Sacred Heart, Fairymount  (Buildings of Ireland)

This area is in the the Civil and RC parish of Tibohine. Baptism and marriage records are available back to about 1833, with some gaps. See RC Parish of Tibohine

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

Im still not quite sure what a townland is??

A townland is the smallest division of land.

Starting with a county, next down in size is a Civil parish, and these are further divided into townlands. There are also Baronies in there too.

There are about 65,000 townlands in Ireland and they range in size from just a few acres to over 1,000

Shane

P.S. - see the 2nd reply above for Fairymount Church location.. I dont think the townland of Fairymount mentioned in the 1st reply is connected
My Surname Interests

Offline Mikehistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 July 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have just come from Fairymount RC Church with lots of photographs and some information to add to my family history record. If you are still interested please contact me.

Offline Brian Duffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
According to this, it appears Sacred Heart built in 1870 replaced the church listed as Mullaghnashee which is very close. On street view, it appears to be an unused building. 

http://www.swilson.info/rcparishlink.php 

google: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.836306,-8.484745,3a,75y,139.31h,89.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCpPYpwzjKvZ_MIu9z-liOQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Offline Mairead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
I come from the Fairymount near Castlerea and was baptised in the Church of The Sacred Heart there.  Mullaghnashee is just the Gaelic name for the same place.  In Gaelic it is Mullach na Sí which literally means the Hill (mount) of the Fairies.  The Church was built in 1867.  The parish currently shares a priest with Tibohine which, historically, was the name used for the joint parishes and where we were confirmed.
Fairymount National School (my primary & often called Fairymount University!!) was an amazing school and I believe is still going strong.  It would have lots of records as it had a major centenary celebration in 2005.
As there are no villages in Roscommon (as understood by English people) local country areas are referred to as townlands i.e. the rural areas surrounding the parishes.  There are many in Fairymount - possibly around 30.  There were Dowds that I remember in Lisdrumneil.  Hope this helps.

Offline Mairead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:54 BST (UK) »

Is this the Fairymount near Castlerea?