Author Topic: Jane Renton Cockburnspath  (Read 23050 times)

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Renton Cockburnspath
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 February 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
How interesting to find someone else looking for Rentons!   My ancestor, Helen Renton, was born 16.6.1829 at Cockburnspath, daughter of George Renton and Elizabeth (ms Anderson). Jane was one of her sisters and was born 25.12.1827, also at Cockburnspath.   Helen had a son, John, in approx 1848. His birth wasn't registered in Scotland, as far as I can find.  He is noted on the 1851 census as living in his grandfather George's household, in Cockburnspath.   On his certificate of marriage to Margaret Liddle, on 1.1.1875, there is no father listed, so that's why he had his mother's surname!  John Renton and Margaret's (ms Liddle) first child was Elizabeth Brown Anderson Renton, born 15.3.1875. Their second child was Helen Renton, my grandmother, born 24.7.1877, at Grantshouse.  John Renton was Postmaster at Grantshouse in the late 1800s/early 1900s and seems to have passed the job on to his younger daughter, Mary Jane Janet Liddle Renton (who in 1911 married John Pollock)
I have George's parents as John Renton and Marjory Stewart (Stuart ) but I have their date of marriage as 4.4.1789. I've made a note saying ' 5.4.1789 received for John Renton and Marjory Stuart's proclamation 1/- ' so maybe I've mis-interpretted the marriage date! Not sure!    All very interesting.   
I'm aware that the original post here was a year ago so I don't really expect a reply.  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Anne  :)

Lesley (Scottish wifie) should get an email notification of your post and hopefully post back.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 12 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Next generation back William Renton1727-1782  lived and died Hutton. married Helen.and his parents George Renton and Helen Lyle.

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 12 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Took a trip to Cockburnspath cemetery last week to look for the gravestone of George Renton, his wife Elizabeth and some of their children. I went to the cemetery of the church in the middle of the village and found plenty of gravestones from around that time BUT couldn't locate this one.  Do you think I was in the wrong graveyard? Or just not looking carefully enough?  !!!!!!  Any clues/advice welcome.
Thanks to normamac for the next generation back.   

Online normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 March 12 00:33 GMT (UK) »
If this is the couple you are looking for their dates of death should help find their grave.

George Renton died 8th Nov.1861 age 63   wife Elizabeth Anderson  26th Nov 1859 age 64.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 March 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is more on the M.I. children mentioned, so should be a substantial one, was there 1968.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 09:54 BST (UK) »

I did have pictures of the Renton stone at Oldhamstocks. I cleaned it up thinking it was one of my Rentons? But later didscovered it was not.

The stone was in very good condition at the time. That was 2 years ago.
It has writing on both sides of it, if i recall correctly?

Aitch
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I did visit Oldhamstocks Churchyard maybe 18 months ago and don't remember finding the Rentons I was looking for. 

My Grandmother was Helen Renton, born 1877 at Grantshouse.
Her parents were John Renton, born approx 1848, and Margaret Liddle, born approx 1852.
John Renton was the illegitimate son of Helen Renton, born 1829. This Helen was one of the 12 children of George Renton, born 1798 at Foulden, and Elizabeth(Elisabeth) Anderson, born 1796.
Are these 'your' Rentons?

I also have Aitchisons in my family tree.  Margaret Aitchison and Joshua Black, both born in 1800, married in 1829 at Coldstream. Their first child, John Black, born 1834 at Hume Hall, was my great-grandfather.
Margaret Atchison's parents were John Aitchison and Isabella Aitcheson, married in 1794.

Back to the Rentons!  I'm interested in finding any children of my mother's cousin, who died about 2005. These 'children' will probably be in their 60s now. I'm not sure of the 'rules' on Rootschat. Can I search for people who are alive now? Can I give the name of my mother's cousin, which town she lived in, etc, in the hope of finding these relatives?

Yes, I am quite new to all this!!

Thanks Anne

Offline Parkergranville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 July 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
I am looking for an Agnes Renton (born 1851 Chirnside) who married George Thomas Parker ( my great grandfather) in Chirnside, they were there in the 1891 census but in 1901 census they were in Acomb Yorkshire. I am researching the Renton side of my family.