Author Topic: Penry, William  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
Penry, William
« on: Wednesday 23 February 11 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across the Penry family. I have my descendents in Monmouthshire but looking , in particular, for a Father William Penry, born about 1741. His paternal father was also a William, possibly?
Thanks,
Shelaine
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Penry, William
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelaine

I dont have any connection with the Penry family but Penry is used as a middle name in Wales and it has been suggested that admirers of John Penry (the martyr) started to include his name as second name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Penry

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 09:35 GMT (UK) »
There are many Penry's in Brecknockshire and Radnorshire. There was a famous David Penry who was a pioneer in Ohio in the 1800s. You could check FamilySearch and FreeReg once you have an idea of the location....
Another good source is the Library of Wales on-line Wills and Marriage Bonds..

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help and advice. I've looked at a few wills but cannot make a connection.
I would think Radnorshire & Brecknockshire are not too far away from Monmouthshire.
It would be conceivable, at that time period, for someone to move to Monmouth, wouldn't it?

Thanks,
Shelaine
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 11 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shelaine,
It is quite likely that your ancestor lived north of Monmouthshire. Radnorshire and Brecknockshire were geographicall next door.
Most of the migration in Wales was from North to South. Wales was largely agricultural until about 1820 when farming started to fail and the industrial South started to develop. Monmouthshire took in an enormous number of workers from other parts of Wales in the late 1800s. My own family lived in Brecknockshire for at least 100 years, but had to migrate to Monmouthsire in the 1850s. However, Penry is a distinguished name in mid-wales, and you might want to start Google searching for them.
I think the surname Penry would have originally been Ap Henry (son of Henry) but that name change would have taken place in the 1600s.
You will need to start with ancestors you are sure of, and then try to trace them back using the UK Census's which are available back to 1841. Then you will have a region of Wales to search in, and there are lots of records on line. for you to go through. Movement around Wales in the 1700s was fairly restricted so I think you have a good chance of success.
Best of luck!
Llanfi
 :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 11 05:18 GMT (UK) »
CCEd Record ID: 213138  Henry Penry, Curate, of LlandiloGraban, Radnor died a natural death in 1772
Cheers,
Llanfi

Offline Shelaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rocky Mountain Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 11 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.
I have traced the Penry family back to 1741. The following generations lived and married in Shirenewton, Newchurch, Penhow...all within Monmouthshire.
William Penry is the last of the line and he was supposed to be Father William Penry of Llanvair Discoed.( according to a welsh relative of mine, so hearsay). I can't find out who he married , where he came from , where he was born.
So that's my brick wall.
I have found a lot of Penry families in Ragland as well. But no direct William. His son William was born around 1741 and I have his family.
So maybe I shall try Brecknockshire & Radnorshire.
I appreciate you telling me to go north. I haven't much knowledge about emigration patterns within Wales.
I'm a Canadian gal!

Best regards,
Shelaine
Penry
Pendry
Osborne
Ward
Dishman/Du Chemin
Baylis

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »

There was a very famous Penry who was martyred in Wales....
http://history.powys.org.uk/history/common/penry.html
This article also shows how the patronymic naming system used in Wales complicates genealogy. Your William Penry could easily have been a member of the Williams family, and there are several Rev. Penry Williams in the 1700-1800 time frame. Is it possible that "Father" William Penry was a priest? I have often seen the term Father: xxx and Mother: yyyy indicating the baptism of an illegitimate child. In those days it was compulsory to have a child baptised in the Church of Wales, and I don't think a Catholic Priest would have the nerve to show up at the font.
There is a lot to learn about those ancestors, and I hope you get lucky in your search...

Cheers,
Llanfi  :) :) :)