Author Topic: please help to identify town  (Read 25605 times)

Offline Glenn Thomas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: please help to identify town
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 June 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
There are three graves with the unique Russian eight-point cross in the Presbyterian Church in the main street of Collon, County Louth, Ireland. I believe the three graves belong to Nicholas Couris, his wife, and their young son who died tragically in the 1930's.
Couris was an officer member of the Romanov's Imperial Guard and led an interesting life before finally settling in Ireland, along with many other Russian emigres at that time who were forced to flee their homeland after the October revolution. Couris was reputed to have been involved in a plot to rescue the Russian Tsar and his family in Ekaterinburg in July 1918, but always refused to speak of his role. He later became a Russian Orthodox priest in later life.
As to why the graves should be located in a Presbyterian Church, I have no idea.
Does anyone know? Hosever, there is a local historian in Collon who may be able to help you if you wish to contact me.
my email address *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
Good idea Glenn, and pleased post the results here, even if negative.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Wolfboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just found this thread about N Couriss. He lived for many years in my house, The Old Courthouse in Collon Co Louth, Ireland. Apparently he taught Russian there and there are rumours that some famous British spies learned Russian there. As far as I remember there were several Russians who fled to Collon during the revolution. There was also a Russian Count whose name I can't remember. Madame Couriss used to bake little Russian cakes and give them to locals, I think they were called Piroshki or something similar. When Madame Couriss died her husband, Nikolas moved to Dublin and became a Priest. He died inthe 1970's. There are some Russian graves in the Church of Ireland in the Village. If anyone wants any information I know a few people in the Village who can remember the Couriss's and I would be happy to find out as much as I can. I can also take some photos of the Old Courthouse and the graves.

Offline julkes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 June 16 02:20 BST (UK) »
Yes please Wolfboy!
Russians and Danes in the UK

Offline Fnna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 April 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
A very good article about Father Nikolai Couriss http://www.rocorstudies.org/2011/12/30/in-memory-of-father-nicholas-couriss/

Wolfboy
, I'm very interested in information about Russian Collon group. Do you remember who else was living there?
I'm a researcher in subject of White Russian emigres (first wave of Russian immigration after the Russian Revolution of 1917) in Ireland. I'll be happy to know about other Russian graves in Ireland.