Author Topic: Deptford Marriage, Gibson & Shipp, c.1844-1849  (Read 1750 times)

Offline greentrad

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • gg grandad Alfred Smithers
    • View Profile
Deptford Marriage, Gibson & Shipp, c.1844-1849
« on: Thursday 24 February 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been searching for some time now for my gg granfather (George Thomas Gibson, 1825-1857)'s marriage to Eliza Harriet [Elizabeth] Shipp (1826-1907). They both lived in the St Nicholas Parish, Deptford area and appear to have had 5 children between them (births 1849-1858).

This document would hopefully prove useful in definately establishing the identity of George & Elza's fathers. I can't be sure they were really married at all of course!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a million.
Pillow & Smithers, France, Canterbury & Ramsgate, Kent. Ginn & Saward Lambeth & Rotherhithe, Surrey. Gibson, Kelso, Scotland, Deptford, Forest Hill. Spinks, Colchester & Forest Hill

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deptford Marriage, Gibson & Shipp, c.1844-1849
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 11 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Been looking for you but am stuck too ;D

These are two of the children right ???

1861 56 Brant St, Greenwich

Frederick BLACKETER head mar 33 waterman b.Greenwich
Henrietta wife 36 b.Yarmouth Norfolk
George GIBSON nephew 12 b.Deptford

RG9/399 folio 129 page 19

1871 11 Dockley Rd, Bermondsey

Frederick BLACKETER head mar 42 master mariner b.Greenwich
Henrietta wife 42 dressmaker b.Deptford
George R GIBSON nephew unm 21 waterman and lighterman b.Deptford

RG10/635 folio 85 page 47

1861 4 Claremont Street, Greenwich

Caroline SIMS wife mar 35? waterman's wife b.Charlton Kent
Eliza GIBSON niece 5 b.Deptford

RG9/398 folio 137 page 9

25 Apr 1874 St Mary Magdalene, Peckham

James SIMS ofa wid waterman of 3 Shards? Rd (William - baker_
Caroline FORD ofa wid of 3 Shards? Rd (Richard SHIPP shipwright)
wit:  Harriett SHIPP and James GREENFIELD

Caroline Abigail SHIPP bp Woolwich St Mary Magdelene 31 Aug 1821 (born 11 Aug) dau of Richard and Abigail of Trinity Street, shipwright.

Henrietta Augusta SHIPP bp Woolwich St Mary Magdalene 28 Feb 1816 (born 7 Feb) dau of Richard and Abigail of Paradise Row, shipwright.

Eliza Harriett SHIPP bp Deptford St Nicholas 6 Apr 1830 dau of Richard and Abigail of Rope Walk, shipwright (born 5 Dec 1826).

+ other children for Richard and Abigail.

Is this where you have got to?  That Eliza and Caroline look like sisters?  I haven't found any first marriages for any of them as yet though I did notice that Eliza lists her and some of the children as SHIPP in one census which might lead one to think that she did not marry George GIBSON.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greentrad

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • gg grandad Alfred Smithers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas...,

Thanks for your reply. It helped me to work out what happened to Caroline Shipp at least.  :)

George Thomas Gibson (1825-1857) & Eliza Harriett Shipp (1826-1907) had 5 children altogether:
George Richard (b.1849), Henry Thomas (b.1851), Walter, my g grandfather  (1853-1906), Eliza Harriett (b.1855) & Caroline (1858-1904).
They were baptised at St Paul, Deptford although I'm unsure about Caroline. The probable entry is illegible.

I've looked through all the possible marriage records for St Paul's and St Nicholas's, Deptford for the marriage but to no avail.

Is there any other way that you could think of to prove that my George Thomas Gibson is definitely the son of William & Janet Gibson? I already have a copy of what seems to be his baptism record and that seems clear enough...  :-\ but I guess that it still doesn't prove it beyond a doubt!

Greentrad
Pillow & Smithers, France, Canterbury & Ramsgate, Kent. Ginn & Saward Lambeth & Rotherhithe, Surrey. Gibson, Kelso, Scotland, Deptford, Forest Hill. Spinks, Colchester & Forest Hill

Offline Shipp_Deptford

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greentrad,

Henry William Shipp (1821 - 1885) was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was sent to Tasmanian (Van Diemen's Land), Australia as a convict. From what I know Richard and Abigal had 8 children, your Eliza Harriet [Elizabeth] Shipp (1826-1907) and my Henry William Shipp (1821 - 1885) being two of them.

Would love to know more a Richards and Abigals descendants from the UK...

J. R. Shipp