Author Topic: Stainland /Elland brickwall pls-William Shepherd Shepherd b around 1747  (Read 6050 times)

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stainland /Elland brickwall pls-William Shepherd Shepherd b around 1747
« on: Thursday 24 February 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »

Dear experts
Elland/ Stainland/Halifax

William Shepherd paper maker born approx 1747 location unkknown married Rebecca Wormald at Elland in 1767 - he was a paper maker of New Mill, Stainland also called of Barksisland (now Sonoco site in 2011)- died 1816 abode Stainland. Have tried everthing I know to find his parents and place of birth- no success. Maybe some of you real pros can solve this one- would be more than grateful.
Rebecca Shepherd's 1806 grave is at St Mary's Elland.
William's son also called William Shepherd 1776- 1839 died at Booth Wood Rishworth- also a paper maker and operated Booth Wood paper mill and the licensee of pub next door now called 'Old Bore, Rishworth'

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stainland /Elland brickwall pls-William Shepherd Shepherd b around 1747
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
On familysearch.org under England and Wales Non-Conformist records there is a William Shepherd born in 1747 at Northowram with father shown as Samuel Shepherd....

Northowram not far away from Elland.....could that be him?

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »

Dear Mc
many thanks for that William Shepherd of Northowram north of Halifax but we have discounted that non- conformist Shepherd family as not ours. That family were 'delvers' and stone dealers. I think we found that William Shepherd b 1747 marrying someone else. Ours seem to come from South Halifax and Stainland area. Of course the Northowram Shepherds could join ours far back.

I think the WS you mention is here:
29 Sep 1766 William SHEPHERD OTP Northowram married by banns at Hx Weaver Elisabeth CARTER OTP Northowram
4 April 1763 William SHEPHERD OTP Northowram married by banns at Hx Weaver Ellin Riley OTP Northowram- delver died 1818

So ours WS is a mystery as he doesnt appear for sure on the normal sources- maybe we are missing something as we've hunted him for 18 months  everywhere, incl Non-conformist records

Offline Trevor Paul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I cannot help with williams parents but I do have some childrens baptisms recorded in the Elland St Mary's parish registers. I will list them for you just in case they may help.  13 Mar 1768 Martha daughter of William at Stainland, 13 july 1770 Sarah daughter of William at Stainland, 18 Oct 1772 rebecca at Barkisland daughter of william, 8 March 1776, william son of william at barkisland, 1 July 1778, Jane at Barkisland daughter of William, That is all that is listed for William. There is no record of the marriage at this church but there may be others or non conformists in the area. I have found Rebecca's burial at St Marys on 23 Oct 1806 relic of William. I have a record of Williams marriage to Rebecca WORMALD  both OTP (of this parish)  on 18 November 1767, witnesses Joshua FOUNISS and Ely hoyle. William is shown as a paper maker and Rebecca made her mark in register.
I have Rebecca's baptism on 11 August 1746 shown as at Stainland father Joseph( her name is spelt REBECKAH) . but there is another baptism for Rebecca also with the other spelling on 8 May 1748, father John.  Unfortunately I cannot find a record for William at this church.  hope some of this info is useful.  Regards Trevor
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />SOMERSET: POPE, GRIFFITHS, FLOYD,BAKER, LYDDON,QUICK,CHEEK(CHEECK)<br />DERBYSHIRE:/NOTTS; GENT,CLIFFORD,SIMMS,BINGHAM, DAYKIN, JOHNSON. FOX, HOPKINSON, COOKE, DOVE<br />SEDGLEY: HICKMAN, PALMER<br />YORKSHIRE: INMAN,BOTTOMLEY,MILNES.JESSOP

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »

Dear Trevor
Much obliged indeed for trying out my brick wall - origin or parents of my ancestor William Shepherd or Sheepheard b around 1747 - a papermaker, probably in Stainland or Halifax area. I found him as a marriage witness twice around 1771 and we know he married Rebecca Wormal in 1767 at Elland. He most probably lived at paper mill 'New Mill', Stainland ( exists today) or the next door farm 'New Yard' off Dog Lane Stainland which exists today. Certainly his granddaughter Salley Shepherd was baptised with address of 'New Yard' in 1803.
Short of checking manorial records ( Lord Saville?) for tenants or smaller landowers in Stainland does anyone have any tips please on how one traces parentage back around 1747. All records of baptisms  incl non-conformist have drawn a blank or names changed or some other.
Am I being dumb? Missing something obvious? His St Andrews Stainland burial records said 1816 aged 68. Maybe this is wrong.
Hoping an expert will enlighten me on day.....

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Shepherds of Stainland
Can announce that a solution appears credible - that William Shepherd was born 20 Feb 1746 at Launds Mill, Golcar, nr Huddersfield but baptised at Slaithwaite as William Shaw 26 Feb 1746 since his mother Anne Shepherd 1720-1786 had married John Shaw of Mill, Golcar, at Stillingfleet Oct 22 1741.
A family bible of Golcar (not ours) records that In 1747 Anne Shepherd 'went to Booth, Rishworth' 5 miles distant to join her father John Shepherd carpenter of Sowerby Bridge. We dont know the reason but it seems that William Shaw reverted to his mother's surname of Sheperd

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 12 08:45 BST (UK) »
There is a property in Warley near Halifax called Shepherd's House which I believe might help unlock some of the Family History. I believe it belonged to the Shepherd Family round about the time you are talking about.
Hope it helps.

T.

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 12 10:02 BST (UK) »

Dear Undertaker
Tks for noting that Shepherds House in Warley... so you have more info? I would be delighted if someone could help connect our Shepherd family with Far Shepherd Farm, Near Shepherd Farm, Shepherds House all in Warley and Luddenden. I've been in touch with current owners in 2012 but they have no details as yet. BMDs show that many of our Shepherd's ( over 100)  came from Warley 1600s and 1700s and for generations were carpenters and weavers but as yet  I havent been able to prove and addresses. I have documented that an Antony Shepherd carpenter was given a contract £40 on May 22 1649 for wood work on the first Sowerby church and I thnk it was 1689 when a lcoal John Shepherd was paid by Sowerby constables something like 1sh 10d to fortify the bridge with wood.
Alice Shepherd was recorded at Warley in 1379  - I am quoting all dates from memory- could be slightly out.
There were also Shepherds in Stainland in the 1500s.
My Shepherd evidence is strong back to John Shepherd carpenter b Warley  bap Sowerby 1690 and his parents, then gets weaker. 

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Think it's Alice that has the Connection with Shepherd's House but there is more information on Calderdale Council's Website as the property is a Listed Building and there is a brief bit about the family in relation to this.

T.