Author Topic: 1901 census look up please  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1901 census look up please
« on: Saturday 26 February 11 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I have the following family living at 67 Spring Close Street, Leeds in the 1891 census;

Joseph Scargill, 52, Coal Miner, born Emley
Sarah (wife), 51, born Emley
Minnie (dau), 11, born Leeds

I have found Joseph (63) and Sarah (62) living at the same address in 1901; but no Minnie.

From FreeBMD I can find no death of Minnie registered or a marriage in WRY. However, there is a marriage of a Minnie Scargill in the December quarter of 1910 but this is in Sculcoates in the East Riding.

There are numerous transcription errors for the name Scargill in the censuses but could someone please look to see if they can find Minnie in 1901.

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 11 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Ooooops

Madri

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Madri.

There are only three names, not four, on FreeBMD. George Bradley and either Minnie Scargill or Ethel L. Jackson.

You have confirmed George Bradley married Minnie and given that she was born in Leeds then it must surely be her, even though her age is out by four years. Her birth was registered in Leeds in the March quarter of 1880.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline madri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again........  I have searched 1901 Census under Christian name only - Minnie, in the whole of West Yorkshire.  Nothing at all coming up for Scargill! Am trawling through the Hull area at the moment.  Yes, that 4 year age difference is a bit of a problem.  I will keep looking and let you know the outcome.

Madri

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Theres a M Scargill 21 female servant 4 St Paul Street,Sculcoates but give PoB as Hull,but that could be the person who enumerated

RG13 4495/10/12
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Holmemoss, have a look at this entry 1901 Census.  If you don't have access let me know.

RG13 / 4495 / 10 / 12
4 St Pauls St, Rowland Terrace, Sculcoates

M Scargill / 21/ Servant / b. Hull

in the household of Wm Hy Stokes / 52 / b. Staffordshire

I wonder if this is your Minnie and the Enumerator has just carried on the ditto

Madri

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, Isobelruss and Madri.

This has to be the correct Minnie Scargill with the enumerator just putting 'ditto'. I have seen this several times in other instances.

It does explain she was in the Hull area prior to he marriage.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Minnie's parents were Joseph Scargill and Sarah Redjoke (Redgwick).

Joseph and Sarah had seven children of whom I am aware. I know five died in infancy or childhood and I had found the other surviving child.

However, I did not know whether Minnie had also died or if the marriage to George Bradley meant she lived to adulthood.

I know only the certificate will confirm this but it certainly seems as though she did.

Thank you again.

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 January 16 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I have traced 8 children of Joseph and Sarah after their marriage - 5 at Emley and 3 at Leeds. They had an unbaptised son at Emley - Friend Scargill who died in infancy. Confirmed from birth certificate - born 8 July 1861 son of Joseph Scargill, coal miner and Sarah nee Redgwick - registered 21 July 1861. Friend's death was registered at Wakefield 3Q 1861 but curiously there is no burial record at Emley - I have seen this for three other Scargills who died in infancy at Emley between the 1850s and 1890s.
Scargill (all spelling variants): C12th to present day - worldwide
Rothwell/King-Irwin/Blake/Fry/Barnardo: C19th-C20th - Ireland