Author Topic: Fribourg, Switzerland Parish Records  (Read 4077 times)

Offline magal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fribourg, Switzerland Parish Records
« on: Saturday 26 February 11 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is an online way to access Parish Records from the 1600's for Fribourg, Switzerland?  I have never tried to access records from that area and can find nothing available.

Thanks much,    Al

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Fribourg, Switzerland Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al,
Welcome to the forum.
The on-line resource for Swiss records is the excellent www.familysearch.org (aka the Mormons).  I presume you have a name etc, so enter the details and see if they have extracted the records.
Another good site for general info about genealogy for this Canton is:
http://www.eye.ch/swissgen/kant/frallg-e.htm, although it appears less well researched than other Cantons.  However it does have links to other specific resource.
Let us know how you get on.
Good hunting.
Paul
UK

Offline magal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 11 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul:

Thanks for the rapid response.  The Mormon site had nothing useful.  Apparently they have never microfilmed Fribourg's archives.  I wonder if the Swiss authorities don't permit that.  The other site at least confirmed the location of the parish register I need, but the only copy appears to be in the Swiss National Archive repository.  If I find a way to access those records without actually going to Switzerland, I'll post the way it can be done.  Thanks again.  If I can ever be of service, just let me know.  I can get LDS (Mormon) microfilms sent to my city for only $5.95 US, so if that is significantly cheaper than what you would pay, let me know and I'll be happy to scan films for you from time to time.  That, of course, is not a commercial offer, since I am a physician not a true genealogist
                                                                          Best regards,  Al

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Fribourg is a mainly Catholic canton, which is probably why the records haven't been filmed.

It might be worth making contact with the Institut Fribourgeois d'Héraldique et de Généalogie (IFHG) http://www.ifhg.ch/ - some of the cantonal genealogy societies are very helpful.  (If you don't speak French, write in English, or ask here for a translation.)

What surname are you looking for?  If you're very lucky, there may be some info in the Dictionnaire Historique de la Suisse which I can check for you.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 February 11 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Al,
Rambler is quite right to point you in the direction of the Society, and I'm sure they will try & help.  Just a quick reminder that the Canton has both French (66%) and German (33%) speaking areas.  Let us have the surname and the Swiss Surname Handbook (I'm not as flashy with my language skills as Rambler!) might give some help.
Appreciate your offer with help.  Fortunately my local FHC is about 3 minutes away, which has been very useful over the years.
cheers,
Paul
UK

Offline magal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Paul and Rambler:

Thanks for all the advice.  The person I am looking for was French speaking.  His name was Gabriel Magnin and the earliest record I have on him is the birth of his child in Arc Sous CiCion in Doubs, France in 1666.  After his name in that parish record (in Latin) is the word "fribergensis", ergo: I am trying to chase down a birth record in the Canton Fribourg.  I can handle written French and stumble through Latin, so I guess my next step is to get in touch with the Society and see what they might be willing to do for me.  Hopefully, they have a copy of the parish record.  I'll let you know what happens.

Best regards to all,

Al

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 February 11 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, the name Magnin goes back to 1322 in the canton of Fribourg.   (It was first mentioned in Villarlod; then in the town of Fribourg in 1327, Lentigny in 1381 and Vaulruz in 1433.) 

Fingers crossed someone there can help!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk