Author Topic: Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie & The Drum born c. 1650  (Read 13220 times)

Offline TaranakiT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie & The Drum born c. 1650
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help? I've managed to trace my ancestry back to the Stewarts on my paternal grandmother's side through her maternal grandfather David Stewart of Refluich (b. 1827 d. 1907).  David's paternal grandfather was David Stewart (b. 1763 d 1815) who in turn was the son of Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Refluich and Lockhart (b.1708 d 1788) who was in turn the son of Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Uledale (b.1681/87 d. 1762) who in turn was also Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie, Corputithin and Drum (b. 1650 d.1720).  It is this Archibald Stewart I am searching for information on so if anyone out there can help, it would hugely appreciated.  I keep hitting brick walls  :'(

Offline joevee502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie & The Drum born c. 1650
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
We are having a Stewart Reunion in Canada this summer. We are the descendants of Archibald Stewart of the Ballargies and Archie Stewart of Uledale and Archie Stewart of Refleuch and Lockhart, the ancestors of David Stewart and Betty McGill.
Archibald, son of David emigrated to the Ottawa Valley in Ontario. His brother Neil followed soon after.
Contact me at (*) for much information. I have just finished publishing the Archibald of Uledale Family Tree.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline joevee502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Your father's Paternal grandmother must be a sister to my Archibald and Neil. I have the sisters Ann, Mary, Jean and Margaret , as well as  brothers Duncan. Alex Patrick,David and John

Hope to hear from you by e-mail

Offline TaranakiT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 04:42 BST (UK) »
My paternal GG grandmother was Margaret Ann Stewart (born 1881).  She was the daughter of David Stewart (born ? died 1907) and Catherine McKellar (1839-1912).   David Stewart was the son of Alexander Stewart (1798-1859) and Elizabeth McGill (1805-1885- who was his first cousin).  Margaret Ann married Peter Kennedy in Ardnaclach on 6 December 1905.

I have managed to find a John Stewart as being a brother of Margaret Ann but I don't have any other details for him so finding more siblings for Margaret Ann to add to the family tree would be awesome  8)

Offline joevee502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 11 05:58 BST (UK) »
Alexander Stewart  Married to Isabella Stewart
Alice Stewart Married to - McCaul
Elizabeth Stewart  Married to John Duncan
John McKellar Stewart married to Grace ?
Donald Stewart married to Effie McCallum
Neil Stewart married to Edith Fletcher
Barbara Stewart
David Stewart
Archibald Stewart

These are the brothers and sisters of your Margaret Ann married to Peter Kennedy.
If you want the dates for them and their children's names. e-mail me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline TaranakiT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
This is awesome finding more ancestors to add to the tree

Offline Rwatking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
I too am interested in the ancestry of Archibald Stewart (c1650 - c1724), known to me as the Tacksman of the Drum and Balleries (both still existing today to the North West of Campbeltown, Kintyre). I presume that this is the same Archibald Stewart who is the subject of this posting. Tangie is certainly adjacent to the Drum but I'm not sure about Corputithin. Does anyone have any further information regarding the ancestry of this Archibald Stewart?

There is some conjecture that he is related to the Stewarts of Blackhall and Ardgowan (in Renfrewshire), specifically one of the sons of Sir Archibald Stewart (c1591 - c1665), Knight of Blackhall, Paisley and a direct descendent from Walter  Fitzalan, First Hereditary Steward of Scotland and founder of the Stewart dynasty.

Traditionally, Tacksmen in the Scottish clan system were often the "lesser"
ie. non-hereditary sons (or other relatives) of the "laird". The Stewarts of Blackhall and Ardgowan held lands in Kintyre so this is entirely plausible in the case of our Archibald Stewart.

Does anyone have any evidence to either support or deny this conjecture?

Offline joevee502

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 11 02:19 BST (UK) »
We definitely believe that we are the Stewarts of Blackhall but no one to my knowledge has proven it 100 per cent. We have proof of our line back to Archibald of Uledale who took over the McAllister lands at Refleuch in Kintyre when his father-in-law Hector McAllister died ( possibly assassinated)

There are many references that he was the son of Archibald of Tangie, Corputchan and the Drum whose wife was Alice, only surviving child of Lt. Robert Campbell who died in1673 and Isabel Dunlop.  Established by Robert's testament 8 recorded at Argyll's Sheriff's Office 18 Mar 1676. Archibald ran it for his Mother -in-law and then  Archibald renewed the Tack ( 4 merk & 1/2 merkland in Drum and 2 Ballergies in his own name for a further 19 years on 29 May 1691.It was previously Lord Lorne's Estate, Forfeited in 1681

I will look up some of my papers and get back to you.
 We just had a Stewart reunion this summer with Stewarts from Canada, U.S.A and Scotland, all descendants of David Stewart,son of Archibald of  Lockhart and Refleuch,son of Archibald of Uledale

Offline Rwatking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
My own ancestry comes down via the line of the Reverend Charles Stewart son of Archibald Stewart and Alice Campbell who was born in 1683 in Campbeltown, Argyll and died there on the 2nd of April 1765.

It's through research into the ancestry of Charles Stewart that my interest in the Stewarts of Blackhall has developed.

I have found a link to fellow researchers of the Campbeltown Stewart tradition who seem to have uncovered some interesting documentation covering:

The Rev. Charles Stewart Family in Campbeltown.
Charles' Son Peter Stewart's Family - Their Move to P.E.I. (this is the link to my own ancestry)
The Blackhall Tradition in Prince Edward Island.
Rev. Charles Stewart's Parents, Archibald Stewart and Alice Campbell.
Blackhall Stewarts in the 17th Century, A Possible Fit.
The Blackhall Stewarts Ayrshire Ochiltrie Period, 1625-1647.
The Blackhall Stewarts Return to Renfrewshire.

A review of this documentation is at
http://www.desbrisay.ca/Stewart4.pdf

I'd be interrested in your observations, particularly with regard to how this material relates to your own research