Author Topic: Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie & The Drum born c. 1650  (Read 13234 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Stewart, Tacksman of Tangie & The Drum born c. 1650
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Tacksmen were originally members of the chief's family who obtained a lease (tack) of land which they sub-let and lived off the difference in the rents. Everd district was different but land was a finite resource and a new chief had to provide for his own immediate family, so a tack expiring or the tacksman dying, could see the land let to a nearer relation. In the case of the Argyll estates with huge resources in land, most of the tacksman class would have no relationship to the Duke's family. Estate policy in the years pre the '45, however, was to end the tacksman system and issue modern leases on a more commercial basis. Tacksmen, however, did hang on in other areas of the Highlands for another century.    Skoosh.

Offline Rwatking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
So as Archibald Stewart (1650-1724) was Tacksman of Tangie and the Drum what was his likely social standing and relationship to the key families in this part of Kintyre?

By marriage, he was related to a Lieutenant Robert Campbell. Is this Campbell a member of the Campbell's whose family included the Dukes of Argyll, albeit probably a lesser member of the family? As a Lieutenant was his rank an indication of his likely status?

Archibald's son, Charles Stewart, was likely educated at Glasgow University and was Minister of the Highland Kirk in Campbeltown for fifty-five years from 1709. This was a position of some standing in its own right and certainly, was not education a prerogative of the richer classes?

Furthermore, Charles Stewart was married to Annabella, daughter of John Campbell of Kildalloig who was Chamberlain of Kintyre. Holding this position, what was John's own social prominence?

Offline stewart777

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 15 04:38 BST (UK) »
[/url]
We are having a Stewart Reunion in Canada this summer. We are the descendants of Archibald Stewart of the Ballargies and Archie Stewart of Uledale and Archie Stewart of Refleuch and Lockhart, the ancestors of David Stewart and Betty McGill.
Archibald, son of David emigrated to the Ottawa Valley in Ontario. His brother Neil followed soon after.
Contact me at (*) for much information. I have just finished publishing the Archibald of Uledale Family Tree.

Hello.  I am researching my Stewart family and found this forum thread in a search.  I am also a direct descendant of David Stewart and Betty McGill by his son David as follows:

David Stewart 1802-1876 b. Scotland d. Ontario Canada
wife:  Jannet McMillian

Son:

David Stewart 1831-1896  b. Scotland d. Canada
wife Barbara Stewart

Son: 

Neil Stewart 1858-1942 b. Canada d. Montana
wife Mary Arletta Gardner

Neil Stewart is my ggg-grandfather.

I believe this lineage is correct which would make some of us family.  Just saying hello!  I am trying to find out more about this line.  Are we descended from the royal Stewart lines?  I was told we were but never believed it!  Now I am not so sure.  The odds are pretty good; have any of you seen this article below?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10608807/Half-of-all-the-men-in-Britain-with-surname-Stewart-descended-from-royalty.html

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Stewart and Campbell - those two names pop up in almost every Scot's ancestry sooner or later! So hard to sort them out. I also have a Stewart connection that I cannot match to anyone as yet.

My great great grandmother, Catherine McPhail was the daughter of Colin McPhail and Mary Stewart. I believe Catherine was born abt. 1829 somewhere in Kilchrenan and Dalavich. I know nothing of her parents - how her father connects to other (especially Mull) local McPhails or what Stewart her mother was. I would love to know more.

Her marriage - Alexander Fletcher/Catherine McPhail Marriage & Banns: 1 January 1854 Kilchrenan And Dalavich,Argyll,Scotland and 2 January 1854 Salen By Tobermory,Argyll,Scotland

Thank you for any small clues!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull