Author Topic: Pottagh  (Read 20611 times)

Offline Zziggy47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pottagh
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hello, I read your message about Elizabeth Cust Wilson. I'm interested in finding out about the Custs who lived in the Magilligan area of County Derry. Do you you Elizabeth Cust's parents' names by any chance? Thanks.
Lndy IRL - CUST, ALLEN, DEIGHAN, MILLER,
Ant IRL - CUST

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 July 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Zziggy47,

In my part of 'the family', Elizabeth CUST's parents are known to be Hudson CUST and Eleanor REYNOLDS.  Can you advise in more detail your interest in the CUSTs of Magilligan parish?
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline Zziggy47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 July 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
James CUST (1855-1901) and Rose Ann ALLEN CUST (1864-1929) were my great-grandparents. I've been tracing them back to when Henry CUST (1646-1716/17) and Margaret JONES CUST came from Yorkshire. I have some holes in that lineage and I've been trying to fill them in. I can get back to William Cust (1795-1868) and Rose LOGUE CUST (1796-1878). Can you help? Do you know who Hudson CUSTs parents were? I've come across a Hodgson CUST but I can't find where he fits either? Could he be your Hudson CUST? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ant IRL - CUST

Offline Zziggy47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 July 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
I also have REYNOLDS in my family tree. I have James REYNOLDS (d. 1851) who married Maria LURTING CUST, the widow of John CUST (1772-1825). Is Elizabeth REYNOLDS related to James REYNOLDS?
Ant IRL - CUST

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 July 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
Zziggy,
         There is a small booklet, researched and published by Bobby Forrest entitled "Historical gleanings from the Parish of Magilligan, County Derry, 1600-1800". this gives small snippets of  information on the Cust families in Magilligan, mainly in the 1700s. See  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magilligan-parish-Co-Derry-History-Genealogy-/260756042474?hash=item3cb64572ea&pt=Non_Fiction#ht_516wt_1141

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Zziggy47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 July 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info on "Historical gleanings from the Parish of Magilligan, County Derry, 1600-1800." I went to ebay but it's no longer offered. Do you know of another source for the book? I have "Genealogical gleanings of the Scots-Irish in county Londonderry, Ireland" by the same author, Bobby Forrest.
Ant IRL - CUST

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 July 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
Zziggy,
          Sorry about the booklet not being available. I found the info on an early Rootschat link and just copied it.

Regards

Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 July 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
James CUST (1855-1901) and Rose Ann ALLEN CUST (1864-1929) were my great-grandparents. I've been tracing them back to when Henry CUST (1646-1716/17) and Margaret JONES CUST came from Yorkshire. I have some holes in that lineage and I've been trying to fill them in. I can get back to William Cust (1795-1868) and Rose LOGUE CUST (1796-1878). Can you help? Do you know who Hudson CUSTs parents were? I've come across a Hodgson CUST but I can't find where he fits either? Could he be your Hudson CUST? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Zziggy47

James CUST and his wife, Rose Ann ALLEN, are in the line known as the Canadian CUSTs.  This information is in a published history about the CUST family which was recommended to me by a descendant of James and Rose.

Hudson CUST, as advised previously, is the name that my branch uses.  It appears that he was also known as Hodson - this was found in the death notice for his daughter, Olivia, published in the Coleraine Chronicles.  I also found another source associated with the REYNOLDS family that uses Hugeson.  The CUST family history mentions Hodgson CUST in association with the Old Church of St Cadan (in Magilligan) and is also mentioned as being married to Elinor (sic) REYNOLDS.  So, it is speculated that Hodgson (or Hugeson), Hodson and Hudson are the same person and that Hodgson became Hodson and then became Hudson which is still used as a first or middle name in one branch of his descendants.  I was also recently given Elizabeth CUST’s birth date which allowed the estimation of Hudson’s own birth date.  It was suggested to me that Hudson could either be a grandson or a great-grandson of Henry CUST and Margaret JONES.  Unfortunately, there is no more information about Hudson at this time.

At a later time, I will send you a PM about the CUST family history.
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 04 July 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
I also have REYNOLDS in my family tree. I have James REYNOLDS (d. 1851) who married Maria LURTING CUST, the widow of John CUST (1772-1825). Is Elizabeth REYNOLDS related to James REYNOLDS?

Assuming that you meant ‘Ellenor REYNOLDS’ rather than ‘Elizabeth REYNOLDS’, a REYNOLDS family source suggests that they may be first cousins once removed.  James is reported in the Cust family history as living in the townland of Carrowreagh which appears to be in the southern end of Magilligan while Ellinor's parents are reported by the REYNOLDS family source as living on one of the townlands known as Doaghs which are located on the north coast of Magilligan.