Author Topic: Pottagh  (Read 20626 times)

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pottagh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the "Aunt Nugent" connection since it sounds as if she may be connected by marriage. To further confuse the issue, there was a Charles Wilson who held land in Maddybenny, Agherton Parish according to the 1831 census. This may be the same Charles Wilson who leased Pottagh in 1796 although I have found no evidence of this. There were 6 dwellings in Maddybenny in 1831, two of which were occupied by Wilson families, 2 by Law families and 2 others. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   John Wilson married Sarah Jane Hazlett in 1864. He died in 1880 and a copy of his will is available on line at http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 April 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
Good stuff - thanks very much! It's been years since I've been to PRONI and a lot has changed in the interim.

Offline RonPr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 April 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
  Hi -  I too am interested in the Wilson family of Pottagh. My ancestors Charles Price and Mary Wilson married in 1811 in Coleraine. A newspaper notice said both were from Coleraine, but if so, then perhaps only for a short period - Charles was actually from Ballintoy parish in Co Antrim. I wonder is there a clue to Mary’s origin in a later lease. In 1828 Charles' father leased a house to his other son John just before he married - this lease was for the three lives of "John Willson of Pottagh in the County of Londonderry" and his sons Charles and John. This was very much an inter-family lease and there must be some good reason why John Willson was selected as a life. Was he perhaps Charles Price’s brother-in-law? This is a theory I would love to prove or disprove. Any further information on the Pottagh Wilsons would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Wilsons of Pottagh and Maddybenny
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 April 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
I have a lease dated ca. 1796, that granted Pottagh to Charles Wilson. His son, also Charles Wilson, is mentioned in the OS Memoirs as emigrating to Philadelphia ca 1834, age 25. He went from Philadelphia to Mauch Chunk or Summit Hill, Carbon Co., PA There he m. Martha McLean who may have been connected with the McLeans of Farrenlester. He d. 1852 in Port Richmond, which is now part of Philadelphia. Martha m(2), John Lyle, son of Rev. Wm Lyle of the First Dunboe and moved to Adams Co., IL.  I think the John Wilson who m. Sarah Jane Hazlett was a son of a John Wilson, who may have been the one you mention. There was a Charles Wilson in Maddybenny, Agherton in 1831, and I've thought he may have been connected with Pottagh. - Dan

Offline jc keller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 April 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
I am part of that Wilson Family from Pottagh.   My branch descends from  Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson to  Hudson Cust Wilson (Charles jr.'s brother) to the son of Hudson Cust Wilson and Sarah Thompson whose name was Thomas. Thomas moved to the US and married Mary MacLean (daughter of Alexander MacLean and Elizabeth Swan). According to a letter I have from Thomas: Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years by 1856, he assumed that all Wilsons living at Pottagh had died or left Ireland.  We believe that the John Wilson wing of the family stayed on at Pottagh until John Wilson died in 1943 and his stepchildren left in 1963.

Offline jc keller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 April 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
One more notation:
Charles was 5 ft 11.  He came from Ireland to Mauch Ghunck, now Jim Thorpe, PA in 1835 or 1836.  Martha McLean was a sister of Thomas's father-in-law (Grandfather Alexander McLean (MacLean))who was the father of Mary McLean.  Thus Thomas married his aunt’s niece. Charles and Martha had two children who died at an early age in Jim Thorpe, PA.  Charles was a shipping agent at Jim Thorpe until 1845.  Thomas Wilson stayed with his uncle Charles and Aunt Martha Wilson when he first came to the US  in 1843.  He moved to Summit Hill, PA and kept a boarding house for a short time.  Then he moved to Port Richmond, near Philadelphia, built and owned brick houses there.   Martha went to Quincy to be with her sister Mary MacLean, and Nancy Knox.  Marth married a second time to John Lyle, son of Reverend William Lyle the pastor of Hudson Wilson from Articlave, Ireland.

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
I am part of that Wilson Family from Pottagh.   My branch descends from  Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson to  Hudson Cust Wilson (Charles jr.'s brother) to the son of Hudson Cust Wilson and Sarah Thompson whose name was Thomas. Thomas moved to the US and married Mary MacLean (daughter of Alexander MacLean and Elizabeth Swan). According to a letter I have from Thomas: Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years by 1856, he assumed that all Wilsons living at Pottagh had died or left Ireland.  We believe that the John Wilson wing of the family stayed on at Pottagh until John Wilson died in 1943 and his stepchildren left in 1963.

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 April 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, I remember seeing HOdson Wilson in the 1831 census along with a Cochran Wilson, whom I suspected was a brother or cousin. So you write his name with a "u" rather than "o?" I didn't know the middle name of "Cust" so thanks for that. I believe the Thomas Wilson you mention was the treasurer for the National Bank OF Wilkes Barre (?) that was founded by Alexander McLean when he retired from managing the mines at Summit Hill. Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years? That would make it around 1656. The Cromwell years, I believe. Where were they before that? Were they connected with the Wilsons of Maddybenny in Agherton? My own ancestor, James Wilson, emigrated from Articlave in 1839 and wound up in either Summit Hill or Mauch Chunk. He was 19 or 20 years old. His name appears in the marriage records of Rev. Richard Webster, pastor of the First Presby Ch of Mauch CHunk. Webster was also the founding minister of the church at Summit Hill. James Wilson was a member of the First Dunboe in Articlave before emigrating. His older brother was John Alexander Wilson who married in Ireland and emigrated in 1846 to Philadelphia, eventually settling in Catasauqua some time after 1850. James Wilson had settled in Catasauqua in 1857 where he worked for the Crane Iron Works.

Maybe you should contact me directly - I have a lot more info on the McLeans, and we should compare notes on our Wilsons.

Dan Wilson (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.