Author Topic: William SLY  (Read 5776 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
William SLY
« on: Monday 28 February 11 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Could someone please help or direct me as to how I can find information on my  William SLY.

It would appear that the information I have so far on him is correct.  I would like to confirm that he was in fact a Captain in the Yeomanry Guards, Ferns Wexford.  William was born around 1790 in Ferns.  He came to Australia on 1841 aboard the Cunard.  Sadly in 1842 he was lost at Sea near Tasmania Australia.  He left behind family.

William was my g.g.g. grandfather.

Regards

Adcord
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline GLORIA JEAN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William SLY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 12 03:14 GMT (UK) »
This William Sly is also my g-g-g grandfather,   I am descended from his son John have
reams of info on this family,   he was born in Co Wexford Ireland,  (Fern) I believe Sarah (Doyle) family is buried in the Ferns Church, and Williams father also in the same Church. (I am fortunate to have record of the Ferns Church.  Can verify William was drowned while inspecting his land in Tasmania in 1841,   (story written by his son for the Mercery years latter I have a copy off). 

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 12 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you for making contact - I have a photo of John Sly (Junior)taken in America with his niece and descendants.

I haven't touched the Sly family for a while.  Mainly because Nobody had made contact for a while.  I presume you are in Australia.  I am interested in learning what I can.  Have you been able to look at all of my previous postings.  If not, I can fill you in on my descendancy.  If you would like to make contact by email, please let me know.

Regards

Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline GLORIA JEAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes I  an in Australia I would be delighted to be in touch my email address is *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - will try to email you tomorrow.  If you don't here from me tomorrow please dont think I am not interested. 

Regards
Adcor

Offline GLORIA JEAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - will try to email you tomorrow.  If you don't here from me tomorrow please dont think I am not interested. 

Regards
Adcor

Offline GLORIA JEAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 12 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Look forward to hearing from you I am very interested in all sly info have been researching for  years

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I will reply to you via email

Adcor

Offline gmlagrutta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 16 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi adcor
William Sly was my G G G Grandfather also. During research I found this post. I can verify that he was lost at sea. This article
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/23762243?searchTerm=john%20sly&searchLimits=l-state=Tasmania|||l-title=10|||sortby
was about his son John, my G G Grandfather which states that his father was lost at sea
I hope this message reaches you. I live in Melbourne, Australia.
Regards
Gill Lagrutta (Harris) My Ancestry Tree on the Harris family can be seen here
http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/56279083/family