Author Topic: Hodgers Family  (Read 11803 times)

Offline tomhogers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodgers Family
« on: Monday 28 February 11 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my name is Thomas Frederick Hodgers and I'm searching for relatives in Louth, especially the Castlebellingham area.
My grandfather Thomas Hodgers, born between 1890-1900 in Louth (probably Castlebellingham) moved to Liverpool and married Mary Keating in September 1919. Had four children, John J, Thomas Francis, William and Ellen (a.k.a. Eileen).
My father, Thomas Francis Hodgers married Mary Elizabeth Hicks in Liverpool in December 1948.
I, (Thomas Frederick Hodgers) married Joan Amelia Frances McCartney (from Bailieborough, co. Cavan) in Londonderry in June 1971.
Looking forward to hearing from any possible family members.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgers Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 08:07 GMT (UK) »
There's just a handfull of Hodgers listings for Co. Louth on the 1901 census, including a Thomas age 8 - so born c1893

see : Hodgers, Co. Louth  and Thomas Hodgers and family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tomhogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I found that same info after posting and noticed that a brother of Thomas Hodgers (8) has the same name as my fathers brother, John Joe, so it seems probable that this Milestown Hodgers family is mine. Great uncle John Joe went to live in the US. My great aunty (Mary) supposedly stayed in the Castlebellingham area. I don't know if there are any family relatives/descendants still living. Would appreciate any possible info.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
RootsChat is meant for finding ancestors, rather than living relatives, so personal details of any people known or thought to be living will be removed, in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

People here will be able to give you general tips and hints how to proceed with more recent events, but not any concrete details.

Some more tips in these links :

Tracing Living Relatives 

Searching for living relatives and Rootschat

Good luck,
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 08:11 GMT (UK) »
If you want to work back in time I would start by searching for a marriage cert for Thomas Hodgers and Mary Keating as this would show father's names and occupations for both and may allow you check if the census details mentioned earlier fit your family.

After this you could then try to locate a birth cert for one of the children to find their mother's maiden name and follow that up with a search for the parents marriage.

Here are the references for the marriage from FreeBMD :

Marriages : Sep 1919   
 Thomas Hodgers    (Keating)
 Mary   Keating      (Hodgers)
 Registration District : W.Derby
 Volume : 8b  / Page : 1167

p.s. if  you work back in time it's possible that other people with common Hodgers ancestors might come across your posts

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline j.j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My name is John Joseph Hodgers.  I live in Milestown Castlebellingham as did my family before me.

Thomas Hodgers and Molly Hodgers were my aunt and uncle and they lived at 102 Stanfield Road, Everton, Liverpool.

The great aunt Mary you mentioned also known as Cissy, is my uncle Toms sister.

I am currently visiting in the UK (Middlesbrough) and would like to meet up if possible in Liverpool sometime next week.

Looking forward to your reply.

John Joseph Hodgers

Offline tomhogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 March 11 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello John Joseph.

Yes, that was my grandparent's address in Liverpool.

That makes you my dad's cousin, or my second cousin. Unfortunately I don't live in England but in Venezuela so won't be able to meet with you for sometime.

Please drop me a line at (see e-mail address in private message) and I'll get you up to date on the english side of your family.

Best Wishes,

Tom

Offline j.j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Thomas,

Good to hear from you, if you are ever in Ireland call in, it would be good to see you.

I remember my aunt Cissy going to Liverpool visiting and bringing back utility clothing, clothes worn by your father and siblings.

All the best, John

Offline cpdover

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 12 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Hodgers family

My great-grandfather was Patrick Hodgers (yes there are many of them). He was born in the 1860s in Co. Louth. His father, according to a marriage certificate, was Nicholas Hodgers. Patrick Hodgers was married at least twice, his first marriage resulted in a son James, who was born about 1890 and was killed on the Somme in July 1916. His second marriage, to Elizabeth Reid widow of John Wallace (in her youth Elizabeth worked as a housemaid at the Lynns), resulted in four children - Rose Anne (born in Louth in 1897) and Edward (born about 1900 in Liverpool) and the twins Elizabeth (my grandmother) and Ellen born in 1901 in Liverpool. Patrick has a sister Mary (who died in Liverpool in the 1930s).

I also have a "cousin" in Australia who is named Nick Hodgers. His father was also a Patrick Hodgers, son of Nicholas Hodgers. Nick's family move to Liverpool in the 1910s. He has recognized names of people in my family, addresses, and people in old photos, naming them as "cousins" but we cannot figure out the link between the families. Nick's family is also from Castleellingham.

I have a number of old photos that I can't identify, but believe them to be Hodgers. I also know this is a needle in a haystack as there are so many Patricks and Nicholas' and Marys, etc in the Hodgers family.

Any assistance is appreciated. But it would also be nice to connect with some Hodgers in Castlebellingham. Most of my family (on my mother's side) is still in Liverpool. I live in California, near San Francisco.

Thanks!

Christine Dover