Author Topic: Stamfordham - Matthew Barron look up please  (Read 15564 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stamfordham - Matthew Barron look up please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
A baptism at Stamfordham St. Mary.
30 Aug 1824. Jane, Illegitimate daughter of Matthew Barron of Dodley, Farmers son, and Mary Robson of Kiln House, Servant.

A couple of burials at Stamfordham St. Mary.
5 Oct 1832. Mary Barron of Dodley, age 75.
12 June 1834. David Barron of Dodley, age 81.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline emmab57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 March 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello all that have helped, I have only just had the chance to digest this info and I really appreciate the help.  It has given me a lot of help.  Matthew is buried next to David and there is another David in the grave so I think I now have the links that I need. 

Why do you think that some baptisms were at Cheeseburn and some at Stamfordham parish church?  Also where can I gain access to the Cheeseburn records, they would be nice to see.

Many, many thanks

Emma
Barron - Northumberland
Tulip - Northumberland
Parker - Northumberland
Wilson - Northumberland
Wilkinson - Northumberland
Johnson - Durham
Jackson - Durham
Charman - London
Taylor - London
Seekings - London
Scott - London
Eaton - London
Crane - London
Ford - London
Randall - London

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 March 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
The Cheeseburn records would be within the Stamfordham records unless they were dissenters or catholics in which case see the link below

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Stamfordham/ChurchRecords.html
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 March 11 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Baptism Cheeseman RC

Thomas Barron born 6 Feb 1844, baptised 13 Feb 1844 son of Matthew Barron and Mary Robson, Custon (Stamfordham)

There are other baptisms and marriages to couples Thomas and Isabel, John and Ann[Roberts], George and Catherine Oliver and Mary Oliver, Matthew and Barbara, Matthew and Margaret, and William and Fanny.

Janis

Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Barron of Stamfordham born 1750!!! (Part 1)
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 September 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have focussed intensely upon the Barron Family over the past year and have managed to prove my descent from David (1714-1796) & Mary (1722-1769) Barron of Stamfordham through their second son George Barron 1750-c1828, and as a result I have uncovered a great deal of information about other branches of the same family which I hope may help people.

As a starting point my gggg grandparents were David Barron (born Birks Farm, Falstone, Northumberland) 1785-1846 & Frances Forster 1786-1863. They were married at Hexham in 1807 and had 13 children together who’s baptism’s can be found in Hexham RC, Cheeseburn Grange, St Andrew’s RC and Ministeracres; in order:

George Barron 1808-1871, Chief of Police at North Shields 1840-49, married 1844 Ellen Brewis.
Ann Barron 1809-1869, married 1834 Michael Young.
Thomas Barron 1811-1865, Police Constable & Brewer, married 1839 Isabella Guthrie.
William Barron 1813-1892, Police Constable & Farmer, married 1840 Margaret Crosier.
David Barron 1814-1876, Beer House Keeper & Career Criminal, married 3 times.
Mary Barron 1816-1841.
Margaret Barron 1818-1903, married 1841 Henry Forrest.
Anthony Forster Barron 1819-1880, Cabinet Maker, married twice.
John Barron 1821-1868, Cabinet Maker, married 1845 Ellen Murphy.
Frances Barron 1822-1862, married 1845 George Hepper.
Elizabeth Barron 1824-?
Joseph Thompson Barron 1826-1849, Cabinet Maker.
Robert Barron 1830, infant.

The witnesses at the marriage of David Barron & Frances Forster in February 1807 were his brother William Barron 1786-1847 and William Thompson. However the Tyne Mercury newspaper of that month gives a very important piece of evidence in the marriage announcements that takes us further back:

‘..at Hexham, Mr David Barron, farmer, of the Snape to Miss Forster of Watch Currock’.

A trip to Northumberland Archives and a look at the Land Tax records tell us that from 1805-1813 the occupier of Snape Farm at Hexham is George Barron.

Cheeseburn Grange baptism register tells us that his son David was baptised there 13/3/1785:

‘..David Barron, the legitimate son of George & Mary Barron’.
The sponsors were David Barron of Dodley Farm and Ann Barron.

In exploring this further we find that George Barron 1750-1828, married in Falstone, Northumberland in 1784 to Mary Thompson, the witnesses were John Kell and his brother, William Barron 1756-1833. Mary Thompson was most likely a widow, slightly older with her own family. George & Mary had two sons in quick succesion David b1785 and William b1786. Afterwards George is traceable through the Land Tax records. The surviving records are fragmentary but we do know (roughly) that George was the occupier of Low Moralee Farm, Wark, parish of Simonburn. Between 1779-1781. There is a gap in the records, then from 1784-1791 he is ocuppier of Birks Farm, Falstone, parish of Simonburn (the owner was John Kell, who was the second witness at George's marriage in 1784). Another gap, then from 1805-1813 he is occupier of Snape Farm at Hexham. A gap, then from 1817-1827 he is occupier of farmland at Newbrough, which is just outside of Hexham. With old age now descending, from 1822-1827 his 2nd son William is listed at joint occupier. I have been unable to trace a burial for George, (his wife Mary died at Newbrough in 1824 aged 81) but the 1827 Land Tax is his last recorded appearance, 1828 is missing. In 1829 his son William Barron is sole occupier at Newbrough.

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Barron of Stamfordham born 1750!!! (Part 2)
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 September 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
  The appearance of William Barron 1756-1833 in Simonburn is an important piece of evidence.  William Barron emigrated to the USA in 1800 with his wife Margery and children. The History of Ontario County: Lewis Cass Aldrich 1893, has a biography of William & Margery’s son David Barron (1800-1895) in which it states:

‘David Barron, Seneca was born in Northumberland County, England, August 15 1800, came to the United States with his parents in 1801, being less than a year old...Mr Barron’s father, William, was born at the old home in England, March 25 1756, and married Margery Wilkinson, of Newcastle in his native country...The father died July 14, 1833, and the mother June 6 1855.’

This information clearly links William Barron baptised March 25 1756 to the same William Barron of Cheeseburn Grange (same date), Stamfordham  son of David & Mary Barron. Furthermore the marriage of William Barron to Margery Wilkinson, St Mungo’s, Simonburn 2/6/1785, staes that William was resident at Birks Farm, Chapelry of Falstone, his brother George’s Farm.

The location of Simonburn appears not to be uncommon for the Barron Family of Stamfordham at this time and they may have had deeper roots there. The 1784 marriage licence of David Barron (1753-1834) to Mary Usher (1757-1832) at Ovingham states that his residence is Low Moralee Farm, Simonburn. The Land Tax tells us that he took over the proprietorship of this farm from his brother, George Barron in 1781, but prior to that he was occupier of Billerley Farm, Simonburn from 1779-1780. It seems upon his marriage in 1784 that he moved back to Stamfordham to Dodley Farm. Interestingly the baptisms register of St Mary the Virgin, Stamfordham 8/4/1790 states

‘...John son of David Barron and Mary his wife, was born at Moralee 15/5/1785 and baptised by a Minister near that place’.

For the record I believe that this chapel ‘near that place was Tone Hall RC, a small chapel 5 miles from Bellingham, Simonburn Parish. It was amalgamated with St Oswalds RC, Bellingham in 1794, and no records have survived for it, but this would account for there being no trace of the above John Barron b1785, it could also account for there being no baptism record of George & Mary Barron’s second son William b1786, and for no baptism records of any of the children of William & Margery Barron, all of which were resident in Simonburn at that time.

Anyway, just wanted to post the discovery of George Barron 1750-1828 and his descendents. Hope this helps. Look forward to any comments

Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Children of David & Mary Barron
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
Just some comments on the other children of David (1714-1796) & Mary (1722-1769) Barron of Stamfordham.

The eldest, John Barron 1746-1819 was born, married and died at Stamfordham and farmed his whole life within sight of Cheeseburn Grange Manor. At various times he is listed as farmer, land agent and even butler (I think more likely some kind of right hand man for Ralph Riddell and not the black suited type).

Margaret Barron 1748-? married John Neavings, a mason, at Stamfordham in 1774. Their children (thus far traced) were John b1775, William b1777 and Margaret b1783. After 1783 I have found no trace of John & Margaret Neavings or any of their children. My theory is that like her brother William they too may have emigrated?

David Barron 1753-1834, returned to Stamfordham from Simonburn before 1788 and therein farmed for the remainder of his life at Dodley Farm, his children's baptisms are detailed throughout Cheeseburn Grange R.C.

Joseph Barron 1759-1828 is still something of a mystery. After his baptism there is nothing until his burial at Stamfordham which states he was of Edington Farm, Mitford.

Likewise for Mary Barron 1761-1825 she married William Chicken of Corbridge, Northumberland at Stamfordham in 1794. She is buried at Stamfordham, residence is listed as Gateshead. Interestingly when George Barron was occupier of Newbrough Farm 1817-1828, the Land Tax states William Chicken is listed as the owner, however it is not clear at this stage if this William Chicken is the same. 

Thomas Barron 1763-1846 married age 42 to Mary Moody who was near 20 years younger, on 22/4/1805 St Andrew's Church of England, Hexham, Northumberland. One of the two witnesses was a George Bannannan(sic) which is a surname that doesn't exist and is most likely his brother, George Barron, certainly as we know George was resident at Snape Farm, Hexham at this time, which suggests that Thomas may have farmed with George before he married. In any event Thomas' children are throughout Cheeseburn Grange R.C, the Land Tax records him from 1813 as farming at Ouston, Stamfordham, possibly as joint occupier with his brother Matthew. He is buried at Stamfordham.

Finally Matthew Barron 1767-1847 appears to have farmed with his father David Barron 1714-1796 (now in his old age) at Nesbitt Hill Head Farm, Stamfordham, before becoming sole occupier himself upon his father's death, as his childrens baptisms (between 1802-1812) at Cheeseburn Grange R.C reveal that he is resident at Hill Head until (roughly) 1812. He then moved to Ouston, Stamfordham possibly as joint occupier with his brother Thomas. At some point between 1830-1841 he relocated to Backworth, Northumberland, where he died, he is buried at Stamfordham.

Regards
Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Possible Origins of the Barron Family!!!
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 September 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
  My personal view is that the Barron's did not move far and are originally from the Ovingham, Corbridge, Bywell, Stamfordham area of Northumberland. Up to the mid 18th century the vast majority of Barron birth, marriages and deaths are in this area, I believe that our Barron's were probably a Catholic offshoot of these families.

At Northumberland Archives, the volume 'Return of Papists 1767' states that Cheeseburn Grange was owned at this time by the Catholic Ralph Riddell Esq (and was passed through his family), the document includes Ralph Riddell at the top and mentions 9 other families and individuals including 'David Barron and his 7 sons', 'John Barron his wife and 3 sons', and 'Matthew Barron', then states 'the above are all employed in country buisness, the greater part were born in the parish and educated papists'.

Records for John Barron and his sons can be found in Cheeseburn Grange baptisms and are clearly related to our David Barron. Likewise Matthew Barron married at Ponteland in 1767, one of the witnesses was David Barron. It seems likely that David, John & Matthew were brothers.

Unfortunately because of the recuscant laws, Catholic records always begin late, at Cheeseburn Grange they only begin from 1746, but the chapel was in existence with unrecorded baptisms etc long before then. I have found no Barron burials in the register at Stamfordham which seem to fit the family, however I did notice on an ordanance survey map of Cheeseburn Grange that it had adjoining it an old burial ground, so who knows who used to be buried there?

Regards
Patrick

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census, Northumberland, 3 David Barron's!!!
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 September 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
   There are 3 David Barron's in Northumberland on the 1841 census, aged between 55 and 49.

1) David Barron, Gardener, age 55, residing at Postern, Newcastle upon Tyne with his wife Frances age 55.

This is David Barron baptised 13th March 1785 Cheeseburn Grange, son of George & Mary Barron. He married Frances Forster 7th February 1807 at Hexham. He died April 1846, Newcastle upon Tyne and is buried in Westgate Hill Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne. Frances died in March 1863.

2) David Barron, Farmer, age 50, Stob Hill, Cheeseburn Grange, Stamfordham.

More information can be found on the 1851 census:
David Barron, Farmer age 65, Stot Hill (Stob Hill, next to Grange Hall) born Stott Houses (Street Houses, next to Grange Hall).
He has now acquired a wife called Ann age 50.

David Barron, Farmer, of Stamfordham married Ann Acorn 1843, St Andrew's Church, Newcastle upon Tyne. His father was John Barron, agent.

This is David Barron baptised 14th March 1786, Cheeseburn Grange, son of John & Ann Barron.
The Newcastle Courant November 1792, informs us that John Barron was agent for Ralph Riddell at Cheeseburn Grange.

The Newcastle Courant April 1855 informs us that David Barron of Stob Hill was declining of farming and sold his interests at auction. He died August 1859 at Newcastle upon Tyne and is buried in St John's Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne. His wife Ann died at Newcastle upon Tyne in 1879 and is buried with him.

3) David Barron, Farmer, age 49, residing at Coldside, Nesbitt, Stamfordham with his wife Mary age 45.
    More information can be found on the 1851 census:
David Barron, Farmer, age 60, Ouston, Stamfordham, born Dodley. Mary, his wife age 53.

This is David Barron baptised 15th June 1788, Cheeseburn Grange, born at Dodley, son of David & Mary Barron. He married Mary Cram, their children were baptised at Cheeseburn Grange and are clearly identifiable on the 1841 census. David died in December 1851 and Mary in May 1853. Both are buried at Stamfordham.

Hopes this helps
Patrick