Author Topic: Moyles-Crossmolina look up  (Read 9106 times)

Offline girl rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moyles-Crossmolina look up
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon I wonder if somebody would be able to help me. I am desperately trying to trace my husbands family. I have just spent a wonderful weekend in Ireland and met many fantastic people who suggested I try your forum.

I am trying to trace my husbands family to form my family tree, his grandfather was born on 7/7/12 registered as Michael John McConnell or McDonnell Moyles in Edinburgh born to a Margaret Moyles, father unknown. Margaret Moyles was listed as having no fixed abode and working at a chocolate factory. Margaret came from County Mayo, Ballina, Crossmonlina, Foxford area. Michael was sent back to live with his grandparents when he was about 7 or 8 and was bought up by her family there, we are not sure if she returned with him, or is she married or if she died.

When Michael was in his mid late teens he moved to Leeds to live with an Aunt or Uncle, North Street, Dewsbury Road area. Whilst living in Leeds I believe he also referred to himself as Dennis Moyles (or Michael John St Dennis Moyles). There is talk that he worked on a fairground in Leeds and was possibly a prizefigther and MC at an Leeds Irish Club. In the late 1930s he moved to Lowestoft in Suffolk, to join the merchant navy in WW2.

I have looked at some family trees and think the following could be likely Margaret Moyles born 1884 to John Moyles and Bridget Moyles (nee McHale) they are listed at Derreen on the 1901 census.  Does anybody know of their whereabouts on the 1911 census? 
Johns parents were Terence Moyles and Mary McDonnell and Bridgets parents were Martin McHale ad Margaret McHale from Keelogues.  Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Can anybody tell me what happened to this Margaret?

All our Moyles are petite with black hair, if this helps. Any clues would be really appreciated. Please be assured all replies will be treated with the utmost discretion as we would hate to cause any family upset. It would just be lovely to know the roots of the family to pass to our son, we know of no other Moyles family!
Thanking you in anticipation.  :)

Offline madri

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Moyles-Crossmolina look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome.  Did you search the Scottish 1901 census for Margaret Moyles?  The 1911 Scottish Census is due for release in April, so be prepared to search that for Margaret as well.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

With reference to the Irish Census - these are very few Margarets from County Mayo.  There is a family with a daughter Margaret living at Mount Falcon, that you may need to have a look at.  I cannot see them on 1911 at the moment.  The other family you quote are on 1911 Census, not 1901.

Did you find a death certificate for Michael/Dennis Moyles?   I cannot find anything for a Michael Moyles, but there is this one for Dennis Moyles.  It's a possibility. It can be purchased from:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Death

Dennis Moyles / Age 86
December 1998
Reg. District: Waveney, Suffolk
District No: 7531A
Reg. No: A15C
Entry No: 295
DOR: 1298
D.O.B. July 7, 1912

Hope this is of some help. 

Madri

Offline girl rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Madri
Thank you so much!
Yes, you are correct in thinking that is my husbands grandfathers death record.  He was a bit of a character so used a different name when in England!?!
I did not realise I was looking at the 1911 I thought it was 1901 census, rather a blonde moment I'm afraid. I shall have to check the 1911 Scotland census when it comes out in April.  I will certainly start to look at the other family you mention, very interesting to know there are not many Margaret's in the area, this should narrow it down a bit.
Thanks once again
P.s Do you know if churches hold confirmation records?

Offline madri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  That's bad luck about the death cert. It appears that he had a lot of family and was in that area for a very long time.   I was hoping that it may have led you to family you may not  have known about. 

The problem is Margaret could be have been anywhere in the UK or Ireland between the Census.  Have you checked the 1901 Scottish Census to make sure she was not there then?  What was her connection with Scotland?  Did all the family move there or what?  What I'm trying to do, is get a 'fix' on Margaret before the birth, and then try and work forward.

There are McConnell & McDonnell in Mayo on the Census.  Anyone of them could have been the father, so the name is not exclusive to Scotland. 
As for Confirmation Records - I have absolutely no idea.  There are so many churches in the area - I wouldn't even know where to start.  Do you know the area at all?

Madri

Offline madri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Do you know if Margaret Moyles was a single or married woman? 

1911 Scottish Census is due for release on above website:   Tuesday April 5, 2011

Madri

Offline girl rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I assume unmarried as the fathers name in the birth certificate is unknown. Good idea I will definitely check the 1911 Scotland census. 
Thank you so much for your interest really appreciated.
I guess someone somewhere must know something it is just so long ago.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello girlrose,

I think the best thing to do is to await the 1911 census and see if she is there.
You said that you had looked at some family trees to find Margaret with those parents. Are these within the family or published trees on the internet?
I ask this, just to see how sure you are that the Derreen family is the right one. You mention Ballina, Foxford, Crossmolina.

It may be worth writing to Leeds Irish Centre to see if there are any historical reports etc which may mention Dennis, although they won't perhaps give any more information than you already have. Chris Moyles, is of course, the most famous Moyles from that part of the country with Ballina roots.  :D

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 January 15 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I think your family is John Moyles and Catherine McHale from Ballymacredmond, Mount Falcon, Mayo, in Ballynahaglish civil parish located in Backs/Knockmore Roman Catholic Parish. Margaret seems to have a baptism record with the name Bridget McHale as mother and her birth record lists her mother as Catherine McHale but I believe they are the same infant. Margaret was born on July 6, 1888, however, her birth wasn't registered with the county until July 9, 1889, (which was fairly typical, late.)

John and Catherine had at least seven children, in order; Michael Moyles (1879-), Anthony Moyles (1881-), James Moyles (1882-), Mary Moyles (1884-), Patrick "Pat" Moyles (1886-), Margaret Moyles (1888-), Thomas Moyles (1891-) and John Moyles (1893-). John was a farmer.

Offline girl rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 January 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information Chattie. This certainly sounds like a strong possibility and ties in with location and family names.
I wonder if any relatives of this family still live in the Mount Falcon area?
Really appreciate your reply.