Author Topic: perry's of wicklow  (Read 19410 times)

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: perry's of wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 April 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been searching my Greene family from Knockgreany, Coolgreany, Co Wexford and found two references Simon Greene and Simon Creane of Knockgreany.  It appears Simon was in the United Irishmen along with Anthony Perry.  Not sure of your connection but you must be related somewhere along the line with Anthony. 

Offline Kagsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 April 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
yeh I think I am have found since that anthony perry had 3 sons andrew, francis and anthony, we think we are related through francis he became a barrister so I have to look into that - yeh there are a load of books regarding 1798 - there is one on Coolgreany in the archives in wexford library in ardcaven
Good Luck with your search

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for that. Next time I am in Wexford I will pop in and see what I can find.

Do you know if any of the United Irishmen who fought closely with Anthony were executed in Gorey or where I might find a list?  Simon Greene/Creane seems to have gone along with his son Michael as it was another son, Patrick who took over Knockgreany.
oh its all so interesting
Best wishes
Kath

Offline Kagsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
if i can find the name of the book i will post it it is in the archives you have to ring and make an appointment they wont let you take out the book but you can photocopy pages - if i come across the name i will take note of where and let u know - yes it really is interesting and i met a cousin whose great grandfather was mine too - brillant

take care and happy hunting
Karen

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 April 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karen

Last week while at a family history fair I met the great grandfather of the land agent who evicted my Greene family from Knockgreany, Coolgreany Evictions of 1887 -very small world!!
Thank you so much.
The big shock today is I had information on Simon Creane and Michael, either his brother or son.  Michael in 1798 had a livery stable in Coolgreany.  Because of the spelling I did not take much notice.  Then the Forde estate papers had a Simon Greene of Knockgreany. Then listed in connection with Anthony Perry was Simon Creane of Knockgreany.  At Simon's home is where one of the meetings for the United Irishmen took place.  It appears Simon and Anthony fought together!

Any help would be much appreciated. I know Simon, and Michael were both dead by 1824.  They could have died naturally !!!!
Best wishes
kath

Offline Kagsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 April 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
where was the history fair and where can u get papers for forde estate anthony perry married eliza forde d/o andrew forde - i persume you have read the book about the evictions of coolgreany
karen

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 April 11 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have written two volumes and travel about England attending family history fairs.

In respect to the Ford estate papers, apparently when Fordes left they put much of the family papers on a dump but someone collected them and sent them with the Forde bits to Northern Ireland.  The Forde papers are in the Northern Ireland records office.
Here are the references

MIC599 - Microfilm -  Contains volume of Maps of the Coolgreany Estate with Maps of Individual townlands and names of the tenants. Includes Knockgreany and Ballyfadd.-
 D566 - Forde Papers - Contains rentals, rent books, leases relating to the Wexford estate  again a copy of anything which mentions the Green/e families of Knockgreany, Ballyfad and Coolgreany.
PRONI’s eCatalogue is now available on the PRONI website. The search facility allows you to find catalogue entries using text, date or PRONI Reference Number searches. You can also use the browse facility to navigate up and down the catalogue levels of an individual archive. For further information, see ‘Using the eCatalogue’ and ‘Search Hints and Tips’ in the 'eCatalogue' section of the PRONI website on the following link:
Forde papers  D240
T2749
Forde, Lady Harriet, papers  D2577
Forde, Mathew, documents  T155
T219
T637
T3373
Forde and Milliken papers  D2410
Forde and Stitt documents  T1436
Forfeited Estates' Trustees papers  T3365

The village of Coolgreany lands were purchased by Nicholas’s fifth son, Matthew Forde (who later sat in the Irish House of Commons in 1642) as part of a wider acquisition of estate lands in Kinelarty in County Down, which he purchased from Thomas Cromwell, Viscount Lecale between the years 1615 and 1636.”

hope this helps

yes, I have read the book by Peggy Doyle is that is the one you mean?

Good Luck  Let me know how you get on and lets keep in touch

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 April 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I also found this -you may find it useful

I found a reference which said Anthony Perry was married to Alice Forde, daughter of Col.  Forde of Ballyfad House.  Her sister was Kitty Forde. of course it may not be correct I have not confirmed the references.

Also there is a very old graveyard called Cranngall. This is where many of the 1798 rebels are buried.
Best wishes
Kath

Offline blueherron

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 May 11 00:30 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if there is any link but I believe I am descended from various Thomas Perrys from Kiltegan, just a short distance from your Perrys.

Please let me know if you can add anything.
Dodd Wilson Kyle Burns Byrnes Wray Perry Belton Matthews Hendy Bublick Giese