Author Topic: Dromore Rectory-Alexander  (Read 18885 times)

Offline Jo McCoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Rectory-Alexander
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 March 15 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Just an interesting anecdote FYI. My husband's great grandfather James Sproule came to Australia from Grennan in 1854 with his father James and older brother George. James, George and their brother Wallace had lived with the Rev St George and his family for a few years after their mother (Ann Irvine) died and while their father James "was getting his act together" before migration. In recognition of the Reverend's kindness, James gave all of his 8 children the middle name "St George" and that has been carried on for many generations. My husband has it, as does son Sam and our grandchildren.  Great to be able to see a picture of him on this forum.

Thanks, Jo from Melbourne

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 June 15 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo
I was very interested in your post as your James Sproule snr was a brother to my husband's gt gt grandmother Jane Sproule who married James Alexander.  Two of her brothers John and Hugh Sproule also came to NSW and they all settled in the Kiama area.  I didn't know that James had also emigrated.  Are you interested in exchanging information?

Regards
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Jo McCoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 June 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerrie - you should be able to see my public tree (It's called Tatchell Summons) on Ancestry - look for James Sproule 1809 - 1884. I have his brothers John and Hugh in the tree as well although there is unlikely o be much there that you do not already know.  I would love to hear about new info though. Have you seen Kate Tammemagi's Sproule website? - she's a researcher in Ireland with some great stuff - see http://sproulegenealogy.blogspot.ie/. Cheers, Jo

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo
Thanks for directing me to your family tree.  You have so much more than I do on the Sproule's and it's rather odd to see pages I wrote & photos I took for a book nearly 40 years ago have made their way onto different researchers Ancestry trees. 
I have seen the website you mentioned and agree she has done some great stuff.
Regards
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline clpfjs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
This is for Vince who wrote - I would appreciate information on the rectory and Henry Lucas St. George.  My ancestral research has hit a wall and I am trying other leads.  I have a bible that belonged to my second great grand uncle signed by Henry Lucas St. George dated September 1849"

I have a bit of information on the Rev. Henry Lucas St. George's son by the same name.  His family came to Canada.  Contact me if you wish to chat.

Carol Simmons
Ontario, Canada