Author Topic: McGinnis/ McGuinness  (Read 9690 times)

Offline Blue*Bell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGinnis/ McGuinness
« on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've just started tracing my Irish ancestors and getting in a pickle with my geography!!  Not also helped by the variation in spelling of the surname I'm researching.

I am tracing Catherine Jane McGinnis and found on familysearch an entry for 26 Feb 1876.  I know this to be the correct entry as her parents are John McGinnis and Margaret Ann Hegarty (also known as Peggy Ann Hegarty/ Haggerty).  It only mentions her birthplace as Londonderry.  It says her father was born in Tartuakelly, Tarnlaghtt, Finlagan. 

I know from the 1891 Scottish Census that she has more siblings, but I am having trouble trying to find their birth entries.  I have found a couple under the surname McGuinness but not all of them.  One record did mention Church Ballykelly, Civil District Newtown Limavady, Sub District Tamlaght Finlagan, County Londonderry.

Would it be wrong to look for other births and even a marriage entry for her parents at Church, Ballykelly?  If so could someone advise how I can do this or another way of tracking down her siblings?  Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGinnis/ McGuinness
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. With those local places listed in such a way I almost fon't recognise them!

Irish placenames are usually listed as townland name, civil parish name, county name.

"Tartuakelly, Tarnlaghtt, Finlagan" is actually Tarnakelly (townland), Tamlaght-Finlagan (civil parish).
"Church Ballykelly, Civil District Newtown Limavady, Sub District Tamlaght Finlagan, County Londonderry" is Ballykelly Church (not sure of denomination as there are several there), Newtownlimavady (now called Limavady) is the civil registration district** and Tamlaght Finlagan is the sub-district under it.
**civil registration index is online up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties (births, deaths and Catholic marriages from 1864 and non-Catholic marriages from 1845).

Will have a look and see if I can find any of Catherine Jane McGinnis' siblings in the records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue*Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, I was having trouble understanding Townlands as it is new terminology for me.

I did try looking up Ballykelly Church, but didn't realise there were several.

Thank you in advance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few children are listed in LDS database-
Mariah born 20 June 1864 Ballykelly (page 808 in civil register)
Eliza born 10 Apr.1868 Ballykelly (page 1048 in civil register)
Alexander born 18 Jan.1871 Ballykelly (page 980 in civil register)
James Cherry born 6 July 1873 Ballykelly
William born 1 Dec.1877

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=historical_records

There might be other children born before the start of birth registration (1864). Based on Mariah's birthdate it's likely the parents were married before 1864 and if it was a Catholic cerremony you'd need to see if the church record exists. If it was a non-Catholic ceremony (including Registry Office) which took place after 1845 it should be listed in the civil index- check for bride and groom separately then cross-reference the results to find a match-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue*Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, and also for the other part to Family Search, I didn't know that was there.  I'll have a look and cross reference as you suggested for the marriage.  My Gran is quite keen to come over and visit Londonderry, which is why I am trying to find exact locations.  Thanks again.

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
HI there my name is Raymond Logue and i came across your query today some of the names of individuals you mention are of interest to me. Ive a notion we are both looking into a similar ancestry. My Great Great Grandmother was called Margaret-Ann McGuinness somtimes recorded as Peggy-Ann. She married Hugh Logue in 1858. Her father was Alexander Mcguinness died 1862 and her mother Susan. I beleive she had the folowing siblings Alexander , James , John and Charles. The townland you refer to is Tartnakelly a lot of my ancestors came from there and i myself know where it is as i was raised in Ballykelly. The Roman Catholic chapel just about 2 miles from that village is St Finlough's. I wonder if there is a connection. regards Ray Logue   e-mail

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline docrt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Raymond,
                    I've just registered and your info is very relevant to my own background. My interests would be mainly McGinnis, Ballykelly. I'm unsure how this messaging works but I'll try to find out.

- Docrt

Offline Terese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 04:42 BST (UK) »
I've just come across this chat. I am looking for information on Alexander McGinness ( and every spelling combination known). His parents were John and Margaret Hegarty. It looks like we have the same family. Alexander was my great grandmothers 3rd husband.

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Terese there are many different ways to spell McGuinness and different ways occur within the same family as many people could neither read nor write. I think we may be descended from a common ancestor. My great great grandmother was Margaret Ann (Peggy Ann) McGuinness Born Circa 1835 she had 4 brothers John , Alexander, James and Charles their parents were Alexander and Susan McGuinness. I discovered that from the will of Alexander McGuinness who died in 1862. You can see it yourself free at the PRONI website search Wills Calenders for Alexander McGuinness died 1862 Sistrakeel Ballykelly in the probate district of Londonderry.  PRONI is the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland. If you google St Finlough's Church Ballykelly you might find pics of the chapel and graveyard where some of your ancestors were baptised married and interred. I believe John Mcguinness married a Margaret Ann Hegarty also known as Peggy Ann. Do you have dates for you ancestors. I live in Derry city but am originally from  Ballykelly and i know the area well. Ive only used the spelling McGuinness to save confusion. Hope to hear from you best regards Raymond Logue