Author Topic: The St.George Family in Ireland.  (Read 24897 times)

Offline mike stg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The St.George Family in Ireland.
« on: Wednesday 02 March 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
My name is Michael Patrick St.George. I was born & raised in Ottawa, Canada and I presently live in the USA. I have, God help me, been engaged in family history research and have discovered a substantial history in Ireland starting, I think, in the 1600's when various estates, and manor houses were owned by them.

My primary interest right now is an estate, manor house, and buildings in County Kilkenny called Woodsgift. It was located at Clomantagh area NW of Kilkenny town on present-day R693 between Freshford and Urlingford. It was destroyed by fire c.1914 and later torn down although a huge stone fortress-like farm building still stands as, I think, do other, smaller buildings, stone fenced exercise yards, etc.

It was a St.George residence and estate but I'm having a problem finding any
information of the various people, and generations who lived there and I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge re. same.

Thank you,
Mike St.George

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The St.George Family in Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
There's two St. George sisters listed on the 1911 census at the townland of Kilrush in the Electoral district of Clomantagh. The house they live stands out on the building return as it has 30 rooms - compared to the much smaller houses of the other occupants of the townland.

Harriet & Caroline St. George, Kilrush

The owner of the property is a John St. George.

Here's the same house on the 1901 return : St. George household, Kilrush, Co. Kilkenny

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 11 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There's some brief notes listed for the area and the St. George family in Samuel Lewis topographical directory of 1837. The details appear under the civil parish of Clomanto/Clonmantagh.

See this link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
There was quite an aristocratic family living in Ireland but with other houses in England as well ,named st George. I did a little research into them because I was interested in one, a young man killed in Belgium in October 1914 .
If you type in --Howard Avenel Bligh St George,--I forget if he was in The Houshold Cavalry or The Life guards ---you should find him.( What a glorious name).
His  maternal grandfather was a wealthy American.His father was a land agent in Ireland.
There is a memorial stained glass window to him in Zillebeke Church, he is buried in the churchyard.
He was an old Etonian and in his early twenties. It may be he is not of the family you are researching but if he is the info on the site will be very useful.
You could look way back in RootsChat--- and find the thread somewhere late 2008.
Best of luck. I have a photo of him if he is your family.
                                                                                Viktoria.

Offline mike stg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria:
Yes, Howard Avenel was in fact a member of my ( rather distant ) mob. He was a Lieut. in the Life Guards and the son of Howard Bligh - 1857  and Florence Evelyn ( Baker ). He had brothers, George Baker Bligh - 1892, and Frederick Ferris Bligh - 1908.

And you are quite correct that there were a number of branches of the St.George family in Ireland. They originated, so it's said, in the Limoges, France area and crossed with, or not too long after, William The Conquer, ending up with an estatre, Hatley St.George in Cambridgeshire. 600 years later they had  those estates in Ireland. There is much, much more to the St.George family history in England, Ireland and Canada ( and a little bit in the US ) but no time or space to put it here.

I certainly would like a copy of the photo you mentioned. Photos are very important to me in my research. I'm new to this site so I don't know how that's done, and I think they removed my email address from my original posting. Perhaps you know how to get the photo to me. I hope so.

Thanks very much for responding.
Mike St.George

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a personal message Mike, with some details.  I must add that I was greatly helped by other RootsChatters when I was trying to find out more about  H.A.B.St.George.   Cheeerio for now. Viktoria.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 March 11 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I know someone who is related and researching them and has a lot of their data right up to the present time.... I've sent the link to this thread!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mike stg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 March 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm a newboy so I don't know what you mean when you say "you've sent the link to this thread ".
There was nothing on your posing that I could see. Was that an error or am I supposed to do something to get to the link ?

Thanks,
Mike St.George

Second part of Reply #7 of today 17:32
I haven't a clue. Who's talking to whom in these postings? What am I supposed to be doing to " gain the link to this thread " and what 's on that link ?

Mike St.George

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 March 11 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Dave (aka Hallmark) has emailed a link to this thread to the person he mentioned. Hopefully they will be interested and reply here.

Shane
My Surname Interests