Author Topic: The St.George Family in Ireland.  (Read 24792 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The St.George Family in Ireland.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 February 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Plenty on them, all one has to do is search!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
http://homepage.eircom.net/~lawekk/HSESK.HTM

See Kilrush on this link to see references to St Georges back to mid 1700s

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
There is a chapter    (Pages 202 - 215)  about St George family of Freshford and Woodsgift in the book
"The Landed Gentry and Aristocracy of Kilkenny" by Art Kavanagh  Vol 1  2004
Published by Irish Family Names, 11 emerald cottages, Grand Canal St, Dublin 4 
Also at Market Sq, Bunclody, Co. Wexford.

Offline PatStG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 August 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I have got an E copy of the book concerning the St George family in Freshford. There seems to be bits of it missing though and it doesn't give me the information I need to determine where my GGGrandfather, John St George born about 1820 in Kilkenny, fits in.
Pat St George

Offline Mary Burke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 April 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for any information on Sarah Quirke from Darby's Hill, Woodsgift. She married a William Oliver St. George, son of of Sir Richard Bligh St. George, of Woodsgift House.

Info on William Oliver:
William Oliver St. George was born on 19 March 1813.1 He was the son of Sir Richard Bligh St. George, 2nd Bt. and Harriet Kelly.2
He married SarahQuirk, daughter of Michael Quirk, on 23 November 1846.1 He died on 1 November 1884 at age 71.

Children of William Oliver St. George and Sarah Quirk
1.   Richard Oliver St. George2 b. 15 Aug 1847, d. 12 Apr 1870
2.   William Henry St. George2 b. 16 Feb 1849, d. 5 Feb 1875
3.   Fanny Victoria St. George2 b. 7 Jun 1852, d. 30 May 1926
4.   George Edward St. George+2 b. 22 Nov 1854, d. 29 Jul 1902
5.   Robert St. George+2 b. 22 Aug 1856, d. 7 Dec 1939
6.   Margaret St. George2 b. 30 Mar 1859, d. Aug 1882
7.   Theophilus John St. George2 b. 7 Jul 1861, d. 9 Jul 1877
8.   James Howard St. George+2 b. 17 Jun 1864, d. 30 Jan 1939
9.   Hercules Frank St. George+2 b. 4 Nov 1867, d. 2 Jun 1938
10.   John Arthur St. George+2 b. 4 Nov 1867, d. 21 Jun 1912
11.   Marian Theodosia St. George2 b. 31 May 1871, d. 8 Dec 1876

I think that Sarah was sister to my Great Great Grandmother Anne Quirk.  She was also from Darby's Hill and her father as far as I know was Michael Quirk of Darby's Hill.  She was born around 1826. Darby's Hill is a very small townland across the road from the entrance gates to Woodsgift House.  This house is where Anne Quirk resided until her death with her son Michael who was my great grandfather.  He worked for the local landlord Michael Denn Keating as agent of Woodsgift House in late 19th century.  He obtained some of the land of Woodsgift Estate and Balief Castle in the early 20th century and farmed with his sons until his death.  His son Patrick farmed the land and reared his family until his death in 1984.

I am trying to trace the Quirk family and where they came from.  Michael  was baptised a Catholic but as far as I know Anne and Sarah were of Prodestant descent and all the Clomantagh Church records were burned in the fire in the turn of the last century so I have no way of obtaining her birth cert to confirm who her parents were.

Michael Quirk is down in Griffiths Valuation as owning a few acres and house in Darby's Hill in the 1850s. I am curious to know if the Denn Keating family or the St. George family give them this land as I really don't think they lived in Darby's Hill before the 1800s.  My inkling is they were friends of either family or worked for them and they moved to Woodsgift in the 1800s from somewhere else.  The Denn Keating family came from TenneyPark House in Kilkenny and Major Denn Keating was Micahel Denn Keatings father and in 1820s or 1830s he is noted on the tithe books as leasing a house and few acres off St. George in Darbys Hill, Woodsgift.

If you have any information on Sarah Quirk, maybe a photo or a birth cert, I would be grateful.  She is the only link to Anne Quirks past that I could find and I am really intrigued to discover Anne Quirks heritage.  Prehaps Anne worked in Woodsgift House or maybe Sarah's husband William Oliver was generous and gave Sarah's father some land and a house for him to reside in with his other daughter Anne.

I could be completely on the wrong track here, but my instinct tells me that I am moving in the right direction.  I hope I am not putting you to any trouble.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Mary Doyle Burke

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 April 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 April 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
Pedigree of the family of St. George.
Format:    BOOK
Language:    English
Published / Created:    [S.l. : s.n., 19--?]
Subjects:    

Saint George family

Notes:    Physical description: 8 p. : coat of arms, geneal. table ; 22 x 28cm.

Call Number     IR 9292 f 32    

you could email   jharte2  at nli.ie  (no spaces!)  and ask him the cost, quite reasonable I believe.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Anna0

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just seen your post from 3 years ago.  I don't have any direct connection to the St George family, but one of them married someone on my tree.  However I do have Manx connections, and I thought you might like to know that Quirk(e) is a Manx name (fairly common I think), so your person may have come from there originally.  Manx info is in UK censuses, but there is also a good Manx site, which I think is called i museum or something similar.  There is a Manx family history facebook site: "Isle of Man Family History Society".  It's link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/466196900237509/ 
 I may be completely wrong, because I don't know if Quirk is also an Irish name, but I hope some of this is useful....if you ever see it!