Author Topic: Moore family, Tircrevan,Magilligan  (Read 10799 times)

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore family, Tircrevan,Magilligan
« on: Thursday 03 March 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Researching Moore name from 18th century and Jonathon who had two sons, Robert and Andrew. My gt gr/mother was Elizabeth[Lizzie] who married Wm Cameron of Paisley at Magilligan Presb. Church in Dec 1875. Other family names include Eliz.Clarke, Jane Morrison of Greencastle,Don., Oliver Martin and John Conn. More recent family names are Samuel Martin who lived in Inashowen, Elizabeth Martin who married a Smith and James Martin whose grand-daughter Pat married Lexey McCracken and lived at Tircrevan Farm in the 60's. Would really appreciate any information relating to any of these families. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moore family, Tircrevan,Magilligan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. We aren't allowed to post details of living people but there are lots of resources available now online in the last year or so which might help you.

There's the 1901 and 1911 census, Will Extracts, civil registration index, etc.

"My gt gr/mother was Elizabeth[Lizzie] who married Wm Cameron of Paisley at Magilligan Presb. Church in Dec 1875." Lizzie's marriage certificate should list her father's name and occupation which would help when searching for other records.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the research tips, which I'll follow up.
Being my first post and in the initial excitement of finding the RootsChat website, I forgot about the "living relatives" aspect!Sorry.
Is the N.Ireland 1911 Census already available? I know that the English one came out early and the Scottish one goes online early in April, but I hadn't realised that the NI one was already online.
Thank you for your help and I look forward to finding out more information on RootsChat.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 11 12:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Irish census was released a number of years ago and has been online for a good while now- the 1901 census has also been added to the site:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Fancy that....you can tell I've had my head buried in tracing the Scots side of the family, especially as Cameron is nearly as common as Smith!
Thanks again, and I'll pursue those suggested links.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    It's not clear if you already have these.
15 Feb 1883 Oliver Martin married Jane Moore in Magilligan Presbyterian Church

27 Jul 1890 John Conn married Sarah Moore in Myroe Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 11 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kingskerswell,
I was in the middle of my reply to you when my computer crashed! Many thanks for that useful information as, although I had names for some marriages, I didn't have dates or church names. Is Myroe also in the Magilligan area? Where will I obtain Irish marriage certificates?
I have the name and DOB of Jane and Sarah Moore's  brother who was William Clarke  [those were my grandfather's first two Christian names too] but no other information about him.
Another sister,Elizabeth, married William Cameron, my gt.grandfather,  The Moore's parents were James who married Jane Morrison from Greencastle,Donegal though I have no info on them at all.
Are you able to recommend a particular website for researching N.Irish ancestors. I have a rough family tree for the Moore family which must go back to the late 1750's, but some of the dates look very dodgy!
Many thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Myroe Presbyterian Church is about 5 miles south of Magilligan Presbyterian Church.
30 Dec 1875 William Cameron married Elizabeth Moore in Magilligan Presbyterian Church.
The Public record office in Belfast PRONI has a will calendar reference for William Clarke Moore of Tircreevan who died on 20 April 1910. the estate was valued at £173-15-0d and probate was granted to Frank Lawson and James Clarke Martin, farmers.
   Others are better informed to supply details of certificates but I believe those obtained from the Registry in DRoscommon ar far cheaper (4 Euros for a xeroxed copy) than those from the General Registry Office in Belfast (£14).

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:50 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic...thank you! It was James Martin who inherited the farm and his gr/daughter eventually married the new owner of Tircrevan Farm [sounds like a story there somewhere!]

Kind regards and thanks.