Author Topic: Moore family, Tircrevan,Magilligan  (Read 10818 times)

Offline Dave Jarvis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore family, Tircrevan,Magilligan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been researching my family in the UK, but was also aware that I have connections with Tircreevan Farm. My grandfather was James Clarke Martin & my mother is his last surviving child. He married a Susanna Galbraith. I did visit the farm when I was a very young child. I also believe that my cousin, called 'Paddy', who came from Yorkshire, married a Lexie McCracken & then lived at the farm. Apart from that I know little else & would appreciate any guidance or information.
Regards, Dave

Offline STRACHANNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave,

I was very excited to read your email and to learn of your links to Tircrevan Farm. You are the only connection who's been in touch and if you are interested I can send you the Moore family tree as far as I have researched it, which is only back as far as the late 1750's.

The family name Clarke, which my grandfather also had as his middle name, goes back to Elizabeth Clarke who married Andrew Moore b.9/8/1817. Her father was James Clarke of Ballymultimber who was in America at the time of the wedding.

The info I have which relates directly to your line is when Jane Moore, your gt grandmother, born 6/9/1851 married Oliver Martin on15/2/1883 at Magilligan Parish Church. Apparently he died after a fall from his horse, though I have no date for that.
They had three children:
Samuel Martin [no dates] He was in the merchant navy for many years and married late, around the age of 40. He then had a big family of 10 or twelve children and lived in Inashowen, Donegal.
James Clarke Martin b.Dec 9th 18?  He had 5 sons and 4 daughters. He inherited Tircrevan and rebuilt it on the original site in 1952. Retired to Lancashire [which is where I'm from]
Elizabeth Martin who married a man named Smith and moved away from the area. [Could be difficult to trace!]

I visited Magilligan in the 60's and found a lot of information from the local parish priest who kept all the records in his loft, but who knew the local families very well. I also visited Tircrevan and met the McCracken family.
I've done very little research recently as I've been trying to track down some of my extended Cameron family, but I'd love to know more about your connections and any recollections which your mother may have shared. Are you UK based or abroad?

I look forward to hearing from you again as your email has rekindled my interest in the Moore family and it's time I went back to my N.Ireland research!

Regards,Pat.

Offline Dave Jarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
           It was great to receive you message. I can advise that a fifth daughter was born to James Clarke Martin & Sussanah Galbraith when they moved to Lancashire. I know of the history of my mother's siblings & most of their decendants (my cousins). Try St Annes, Edgeside, Rossendale which is where most are buried & Haslingden as the district for searches. You may find that you have some new relations in the area, although I live in the South West of England. I'm new to this site & I did try to find out how to send you a PM, but didn't get any joy (that's not a pun on Paddy & Lexie!!) & what is permissable. Apart from my grandparents names I know virtually nothing of that side of my family & am just starting out on that adventure, having had a good stab at my dad's side. I have been in contact with the NI & Eire offices & was hoping to fit something in around my volunteer commitments over the Xmas period

Offline stmccmagilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
My name is Stephen McCracken. I lived with my family in magilligan as a farmer up untill last year. i am still a member of magilligan presby church. My Grandas sister was called "great aunt elenor" she was the mother to * McCracken of Tircrevan road. * is still living on the point road in Magilligan retired, and his son now farms at Tircrevan with his wife and two we sons think they are only round * and * is one of the names. * is my das cousin and * son is my second cousin. Elenor passed away in 2001 at the age of 99. I remember pat passed away in mid 1990s from cancer. * then remarried in his late 60s / 70s.

* built it up to a middle sized farm of round 10 up to 60 cows. From what i heard i believe that *s father was a very big Drinker. There is an old school just a field away called gortmore school that is where they would have been educated. * went there.   

i think this is all correct.  I am not sure but i think there is memorial up on the wall of the church to a man born in paisley who worked at the haygates estate and it was paid for by sir willian fredrick haygate. On the right hand side as you enter the church, i am nearly certain of it.

* Moderator Comment: details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline abskip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is andrew Brown the great grandson of james clarke martin and susannah galbraith. I have quite a lot of detail of the. Martins and galbraiths but not a lot of the moore's and Clarke's.
My great grandparents moved to rossendale Mac's in 1929/30 from ireland I don't know why.
Any information would be useful

Offline Dave Jarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
                I'm not sure if you will remember me, but I'm Marion's son. She sadly died last year. I have vague childhood memories of you & Robin in Skipton. I've done quite a bit on my Dad's side of the family & little bit on the Martin family, etc but with it being in Ireland it can be difficult to locate information from that period. I'm not sure when they moved to Rossendale but my mom was born in Limavady in 1920. We buried both my parents ashes in the family plot in Rossendale earlier this year, on what would have been their 70th Wedding Anniversary. I'm still awaiting their grave stone to be put in place, but Martin Hall sent me a photo of the one that's already in situ & I can send it on to you if you wish as your Grandmother is there. Regards, Dave Jarvis

Offline abskip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 September 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yes David I remember you and your parents so sorry to hear they are no longer with us. I will send you all I have on the martins. Yes my grandmas ashes are in the family grave. I guess now all the martins are Gone. I have some photographs which i need to sort through. Also just been in touch with padded children in Ireland, Lexie died last year.

Offline Dave Jarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
                Just so that you're aware, I've sent you a PM with my contact details.

Regards, Dave Jarvis

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This post is in relation to STRACHANNA's first post in this thread in regards to Jane Morrison (Greencastle, County Donegal) mentioned, I have a connection to the Morrison family, my 3X Grandmother was a Sarah (Sally) Morrison of Greencastle, I recently found a genetic link to Jane Morrison, Greencastle, through one of her descendants, this descendant appears to have no other information for her,

I was wondering in the intervening years since your original post have you made any progress in your research into Jane Morrison?

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America