Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about the Borsig factory and connections to Tworog  (Read 978 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

The marriage entry of one of my wifes ancestors from 1916 states "Johann Aegidius Poloczek, batchelor, locksmith from the  Borsigwerk (Borsig plant) , born in Tworog on 29 August 1893, son of the railway worker Constantin Poloczek of Zawadzki". From my understanding Borsigwerke refers to a very large locomotive manufacturer at the time, but they were based in Berlin, wherea Johann was born a lived (and presumably worked) in Tworog/Zawadski Poland. Therefore I am trying to find the link between a company based in Berlin and an apparent employee living in Tworog/Zawadski Poland.

Thank you

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know anything about the Borsig factory and connections to Tworog
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 11 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

the "Lokomotiv- und Maschinenfabrik A. Borsig" (Borsigwerke) founded in 1837 in Berlin, Prussia, by Anton Borsig continually expanded and started producing in Prussian Silesia in 1862 as well.

Upper Silesia (Prussian Silesia) belonged to various countries throughout its history, but was Prussian (later German) from roughly the middle of the 18th century till the end of WW II when it became Polish.

Hope this helps to explain your wife's ancestors origin as well their employment at a German company in Poland.

In Germany the above Borsigwerke should still exist under the name of "Borsig GmbH" in Berlin-Tegel. Didn't check that though.

Rgds from Hamburg, Germany
Giselap