Author Topic: witton cemetery aston birmingham  (Read 33500 times)

Offline lovin lass

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
witton cemetery aston birmingham
« on: Wednesday 20 April 05 14:33 BST (UK) »
hi all
just wondering if there is buriel index for witton cemetery/or parish records
dont know name of the church that goes with this cemetery any help greatly recieved
thanks angie
hewitts of birmingham
jones of ladywood
beddows of birmingham
harrison of birmingham
gibsons of birmingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: witton cemetery aston birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 05 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have visited Witton many times and looked for and found many lost graves of various relatives.

Do you know who you are looking for and the date of death.If you do go to the 6th Floor of birmingham central library and look up the burials loggs for Witton. That will give you a Burial Grant Number,take that and any information you have Such as name,date of death (Aprox) to the records office at the cemetery.They should then be able give you a plot and grave number.If you can give them no more than a name and a Vague date,they will charge a research fee of £16.50 per half hour.So the more you can give them,the less likely they are to charge.

If there is more than one person you a re looking for,you may have to pay.I did on a recent visit,when i was looking for four graves.They did one free,i was charged for the other three,which was a flat fee of £16.00 for the three.But that was by post,so the remaining three graves i had to find on a visit at a later date.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline lovin lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
hi steve
thanks for the info,dont live in b,ham anymore live in wales
im researching my adopted name and birth name
my adopted name and granddads are both buried at witton as i use to go there with my foster parents when i was younger
there surnames were beddows and gibson
have resently found out that 1 of my birth aunties is also buried there with her son my couisin isnt that a coinsidence
know that my nan beddows died in the 80s her husband died in the 70s and 2 of ther children are buried with them or just along side
my dads dad died when he was little and my dads mom died in late seventies she bought up 9 children on her own
best wishes angie
hewitts of birmingham
jones of ladywood
beddows of birmingham
harrison of birmingham
gibsons of birmingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 05 16:42 BST (UK) »
Angie

If it helps i have the address,telephone number and e-mail adress of the Cemetery Office,if you want to contact them.But remember if you have several people to look for and/or a lack of information there is likely to be a charge.

If you are unable to get to Witton for the foreseeable future and only have one or two to look for,i can look up the details on my next visit to Birmingham Central library and possibly try my luck at the cemetery office.But as i now live in Telford i'm not due in Birmingham again for two/three weeks.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline lovin lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 05 17:46 BST (UK) »
hi steve
that would be great help would love to know when my nan and grandad gibson were born and what year they died
there names were
john william gibson and alice maud gibson formaly timmis
if you give me email address will try first if i have no luck then will email you 2 c if you can look at the library for me
thanks again angie
sorry dont have birth or death details know that my nan was in her 90s when she died
hewitts of birmingham
jones of ladywood
beddows of birmingham
harrison of birmingham
gibsons of birmingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
You say your Nan was in her 90's when she died,do you remember roughly when. If you do a search of the BMD index's a couple of years either side of your estimated year of death that will give a definate year to work on for her death. That would then make a search through the Witton records a million times easier. That's of course providing they are buried at Witton, how sure of that are you??.

Offline lovin lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
hi ya
im very sure they buried at witton cus i use to go there with my parents to put flowers on the graves do you have web site for bmd please
thanks angie, i see you got duddeston in your place search thats on my dads birth cert a bit of useless info ha ha
hewitts of birmingham
jones of ladywood
beddows of birmingham
harrison of birmingham
gibsons of birmingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
The website i use is www.1837online.com they charge about £5.00 for which you get 50 credits. There is also Freebmd, but at the moment i think they have only transcribed BMD's up till about 1911. So if they died after then,the free site isn't much use at the moment.

Living in Wales are you close to a Major city/town. Most large central libraries have the national BMD index's on microfiche.Some don't charge to look at these,others a nominal fee.At Birmingham Library they charge 50pence per half hour.You can look at an Awful lot of Microfiche in half hour,once you get used to it.

If you have a rough idea of when they died and you can find them on the BMD index,it gives an age at death. So then you'll know what year to look at for their birth's.

I think 70% of my  family originate from the Duddeston/Aston area. Small world !!.

Stephen

Offline darthdc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 June 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for a grave at Witton. My great-gran was interred there in 1919. I know this for sure, having already got her death certificate, I traced her burial at the Central Library and now intend to go there. I have heard though that graves are reused after 70 years. I hope this isn't the case. I'm hoping that the grave is holding the remains my great granddad too. He died in the 40's apparently