Author Topic: RENNARD on the ship 'Sophocles' completed  (Read 9978 times)

Offline dibeau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RENNARD on the ship 'Sophocles'
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 March 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm really glad it wasn't your Hilda deceased in England in 1915.

This is much better ;D ;D

Sue
Hi Sue,
Yes it makes it a much nicer story to know she had a long life. Thanks for all your help.

Regards Di

Offline amaluka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RENNARD on the ship 'Sophocles' completed
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 March 11 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
My grandmother was Hilda Baines born 1898.What I have been told she was brought up by Sarah Fretton (there was no mention of an adoption). She had an older sister Elsie and younger brother Benjamin. She was the only one who was brought up by Sarah(reason unknown). According to my records her mother Mary Ann died when Hilda was 4 or 5 yrs old so maybe this was why she lived with Sarah. I have her original marriage certificate and her name is written Hilda Baines (so i believe she was not adopted) She married George Philip 16 July 1918 in Sheffield. They came to Australia in 1922. They had 8 children one who was my father Robert Benjamin Philip. I think there is a family link, this is very exciting as i have not been able to find much info on the Baines side so if you find any info on Hilda or her family i would love to hear it.

Regards Gaye :)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 March 11 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there Gaye

Glad you  found your way  to Rootschat,  I imagine Di  will be very happy for the contact

We are a very helpfull  lot of people on  this form  who  love to help out

If you  have any queries just ask away

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline dibeau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 March 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaye,
If you have read all these posts you will have seen the journey I have been on with the help of these great people on Roots. Sarah Ann was my fathers aunt and as a young man he went to meet her when she came back to England after the death of her husband. He never knew that she had been married twice or that she had a child your grandmother Hilda. I actually found her on the 1911 census with Sarah and her then husband Hartley Rennard she is down as adopted daughter Hilda Baines. I think legal adoption didn't come into being until 1927 so that may be why she remained Hilda Baines. I don't really know anything else about Hilda but if you want to know anything about Sarah and her family please ask and I will happily help.

Regards Di

Offline BenF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 March 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but if anyone's still around, I'm descended from one of Sarah's second husband's (William Fretton) illegitimate children back in England. Does anyone have any anecdotal stories about him? I've found all the factual stuff, births, deaths, etc. But would love to hear any stories. Cheers!

Ben