Author Topic: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
William Mason Mallinson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,  I haven't been able to find a cemetery listing for William Mason Mallinson in Chichester unfortunately, so nothing totally solid there.  You mentioned you have his death certificate.  Whereabouts exactly did he die in Chichester?  It seems far from where he was living in Paddington, London in 1911 with Mary. 

Have you been able to track down a marriage for him to Mary at all.  It seemed that he never really divorced Alice and they just became estranged.  It just comes to an abrupt dead-end when she goes to Canada.  I'd really love to know if she stayed (though as mentioned before, there are no burials found yet for her despite our efforts to find them and Alberta, Canada's privacy laws are very restrictive when trying to get records for BMD's.)  I'm not sure either if she came back to England, given the brutal winters we have here in Alberta!!   

As for Cecil William Mallinson, there is a reference for what could very possibly be him in 1926 living at 5 St. Leonard's Road, Ealing, Middlesex (looking at 1926 Kelly's Directory).  In 1916, he was with the Bedfordshire Regiment according to the London Gazette.  He married Evelyn Lucy Crawley December 21, 1907 in Ealing and they had two children:  Bernard Cecil Mallinson b.1909 and Cedric Howard Mallinson b. 1912 (who emigrated to NZ and later lived in Aus.)  I don't have a death for Cecil, nor his wife Evelyn, yet, so I don't know what happened to them post-1926. 

Kind regards,

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline charliecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

Should be able to PM after this post.  :)

The death certificate for WMM  Snr states the following:
Died: 19/8/1928, 15 South Bank U.D. Age:69.  Retired Stationer. Informer: C Rogers, sister, Lyndhurst Square, Camberwell, London

I've looked up the address & it is in Chichester. I don't know if he had a sister with C as an initial for her first name.

I haven't been able to find any marriage details for him & Mary, I will have another look. I may need to get a copy of Kenneth's birth certificate if I can't find anything else although it seems Alice still considered WMM to be her husband after Kenneth's birth. All very confusing. I've checked the online UK divorce records but drew a blank.

I will keep digging around this side of the pond to see if I can come up with anything else on Alice.

Thank you for the information on Cecil & his children. If I find out any more I'll let you know.

Best wishes
Amanda
Vicary / Vickery / Solman / Sellers Sidbury & London. Mallinson London & Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 September 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
Has anyone tried to find descendants in British Columbia or Alberta. There is an on-line telephone directory that you can use to send off some inquiries by mail. Someone living in those two provinces may have some info to share.
www.canada411.ca

Also, local libraries tend to have information that is not available on the internet and most also have a section called Ask a Librarien. They will have access to local newspapers, books, etc.

Also, free bmd has a birth registration
1st Quarter, March 1900
Mallinson, Kenneth alec, Reading
Vol 2c page 372

Is it possible that there was an ongoing affair between William and Mary while he stayed married to Alice. At some point he did live with Mary but probably never divorced and remarried. It is also probable that William and Mary split before his death. Divorce was extremely uncommon and hard to obtain in the early 1900's no matter what country you lived in. Free BMD doesn't show a marriage between them or a death for a Mary Mallinson or Trowbridge.

The 1921 census of Canada will be available after 2013 for transcription so you may find some information after the census is made available.

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 September 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,  Yes, WMM had a sister called Constance Mary Emma Mallinson, who married Arthur Clement Rogers.  So it must be Constance Rogers on the death cert.  Lyndhurst Square in Camberwell London seems very familiar too, so will have to check  .....Just checked, that's the address where Alice Vickery said her husband WMM lived on the form when she went over to Canada in 1920.  I actually have a picture of what it looks like in present day which I can send to you. 

It is all a bit confusing about the son Kenneth and Alice's estrangement from her hubby, WMM, so it would be good to get some more details.

Will look forward to hearing further from you, Amanda.  I've made contact with Marion and have opened up my tree for her to see.  Talk again soon.

Thanks, Valeriec, for you help with this.  I have been looking, with another researcher into the B.C. and Alberta end of the descendants. 

I'll look forward to the 1921 Canada census to be released.  I didn't realize it would be so early.  That certainly will answer some questions. 

Kind regards,

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Linda80

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 August 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
You have questions about my grandparents. I can likely answer them all. William's first wife was Olive. She is buried in the Catholic cemetery in Millet, Alberta.