Author Topic: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage  (Read 8232 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
Re: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 March 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I've just woke up  this morning to find all your message, Susano and Valeriec.  Thanks again for all your help.  I've got my work cut out for me and will take a look at everything you have provided here.  It does look like from the descriptions of the two Mallinson border crossings that they are different individuals, and both working for the railroad to make matters worse! 

The Medicine Hat Mallinson who married May Johnson is definitely the correct one because of the 'Mason' middle name.  (Transcribed as 'Beson' in the border crossing). 

I checked some of the Home children databases, yet couldn't find the correct William Mallinson either. 

I'd found that Arthur Mallinson b. 1877 England living in Medicine Hat too and had wondered if he was a relative of William's, and tried to go back to see if there was a link.  I couldn't find one at the time, but will try again.  It seems a bit coincidental that they both lived in Medicine Hat and later British Columbia (where Arthur died) and worked for the CPR too. 

I'm going to sit down and go through what you have advised and try to sort them out. 

Thanks to your both again for your advice.  It's good to have other opinions and advice when you hit a brickwall. 

Best wishes,

Jilly
Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
The Lethbridge Herald has an archived newspaper site (unfortunately it is not a free site now).  If you search for William Mason Mallinson and start narrowing down the years there seems to be one reference to him in 1940. 

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The William Mallinson referred to in reply 3 died in BC also as did his wife, Agatha May (nee Currie) so I think this is a different family.

There are quite a few William (Wm) Mallisons on passenger lists.  With reference to the wife Jean that you found, there is a passenger list entry of her return to Canada in 1923 from a visit to the UK.  She is destined to her husband in Toronto.  Her documents say she immigrated in 1911.  I found a William (occupation Railway Porter) with wife transcribed as Fergie and 2 sons on a passenger list in 1911.  This same family (I believe) minus one child appears on another list in 1914.

I agree with Valeriec's suggestion that you need to gather the information and then sort it out.  I do believe there's more than one William Mallinson family.

Susan

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,  Thanks for your new messages. 

Cosmac,  I just checked The Lethbridge Herald which is on my Ancestry subscription and though I'd tried it before using the full name without results, I tried just William Mallinson this time and some info has just come up.  Firstly I've found a marriage for a Dorothy May Mallinson in 1941 to a Mr. and Mrs. W M Mallinson of Lethbridge.  May was WMM's wife's first name so there must be a link.  Also the 1940 border crossing of WMM which mentions wife May coincides with them living in Lethbridge at the time as described in the newspaper article.  This must be them.  It comes complete with a photo of the newlyweds too! 

Susan, from what I found it seems that this Jean Mallinson was from Scotland and I'd seen the reference to a Fergie too.  The Railroad occupations seem to vary from Brakeman to Railway Porter and to Train conductor (Train conductor occupation referred in the 1940 Lethbridge to Montana border crossing which is for certain WMM). 

As you say, I'll have to take a sit down and sort through the William Mallinson 'look-a-likes' and sort which one could be ours so that I can trace back to WMM's early years in Canada. 

The William Mallinson b. 1887 heading over from Liverpool to Portland USA 1901 seems to tally with the Lethbridge 1940 border crossing doc. though the year of emigration for that shows as 1898 on the SS Dominion. 

I'm going to take a look at the Lethbridge Herald again and see what else there is for him. 

Thanks for your help again, all the info, I'm sure, will build a bigger picture to find out more on him.

Jilly
Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 March 11 07:47 GMT (UK) »
You can search Medicine Hat city directories at this site:
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/3895.html

I did a search of the surname Mallinson in the Newspaper section of the above website and found a listing in the Wetaskiwin Times for the death of a Clara Mallinson in 1911...husband was W.M. Mallinson.  I wonder if she was the first wife?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c5s/

Susan

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 March 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,  I think you have found her - the first wife -  It must be her with the mention of W M Mallinson and it seems that WMM had links to B.C. during his life. 

Thank you so much for finding this.  It was driving me batty not being able to find anything on this marriage, or even where it took place. 

I'll also have a look at the Med. Hat directories you provided the link for. 

Thanks very much!! ;D ;D ;D

Jilly

Offline charliecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 September 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello there, just signed up and saw your post. I'm a decendant of Alice Vickery who married Wm Mason Mallinson (1859 - 1928). I have a copy of his death cert (which was reported by his sister) but could find nothing further on Alice after her emmigration to British Columbia. I just wondered if you ever managed to find out any further informaiton on her?
Kind regards
Amanda Osborne (nee Vickery)
Vicary / Vickery / Solman / Sellers Sidbury & London. Mallinson London & Canada

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 September 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Amanda,  Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for your message.  I have been doing some research on this family with a fellow researcher.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find out anything further on what happened to Alice.  I have a record of her arriving in Canada April 1920, aged 60, to see her son and she referenced her husband William Mallinson as her nearest relative in England, though it appears that her husband and her were seperated as he was living with Mary Jane Trowbridge in 1911 in Maida Vale, Paddington and his and Mary's son Kenneth Alec Mallinson. 

I haven't been able to trace Alice's footsteps in Canada at all and so it has remained a mystery whether she stayed in Canada, or perhaps went back to England.  There doesn't seem to be any evidence of her being buried in Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Alberta or British Columbia from the cemetery records we have looked at, though her son lived in these areas. 

I have more information in my tree and if I can help further, I'd be happy to do so, please message or PM me. 

Best wishes,

Jilly

Offline charliecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly, Thanks for coming back so quickly. Unfortuntely I can't PM you until I've done 3 postings :-(

Alice & her husband William seem to be a bit elusive. I have nothing to suggest she came back to England. In fact it's almost as if her family lose contact with her after her marriage. 

Did you manage to find a cemetey ref for William in Chichester? Maybe I could go & have a look. It's strange that his death in Chichester was reported by his sister who lives in London. I wonder where Mary was?

I'd also love to know if Cecil Willliam Mallinson (born 1885) and his family also emmigrated to British Columbia, I can only trace them in the UK to the 1911 Census.

Thanks for your help
Best wishes
Amanda
Vicary / Vickery / Solman / Sellers Sidbury & London. Mallinson London & Canada