Author Topic: Bothwellhaugh  (Read 14663 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bothwellhaugh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 March 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Reduced the photo down to fit better screen size better, Andrew  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 March 13 09:43 GMT (UK) »
The photograph was my grans. I always presumed she was in it (why did nobody ask when she was alive?) If she is not in it either one or both her sisters are. I can't spot my gran although one of the girls does have a resemblance to her sister.

As you know there where a lot of Lithuanians in the Bellshill area so perhaps some of the children are.

I have another photo of my great grandparents and neigbours on the stair at Roman Place however it kept saying session timed out when I was trying to upload it. I will try again over the weekend.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 March 13 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Andrew, there have a few technical hitches when people have been trying to load photos/images on to posts in the last couple of days. These are being worked on, as part of the major updates on the system that have been going on in the background. Try again another time  :)

Monica

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 March 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
The photograph was my grans. I always presumed she was in it (why did nobody ask when she was alive?).

Unfortunately, many folks with an interest in family history find wonderful photos handed down the generations but with no names recorded in writing and sadly, all too often, eventually those who knew the oral history of the photos, are either no longer able to recollect it due to issues with their memory in old age, or have passed on without younger generations asking.

I have another photo of my great grandparents and neigbours on the stair at Roman Place

I am sure folks will enjoy seeing this too, as photos always lend themselves to giving a 'feel' for an area they too may have ancestors connected with. Perhaps you could also add the family surname/s from your line/s who lived there, in case anyone else happens along who also had ancestors at Roman Place in particular and may recognise the neighbours.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the photo..... my grandfather was living in 14 roman place in 1930.  his name was William hindman and was living with a relation named janet hindman at the time

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 March 13 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hurrah I got it to upload!

This I believe is 40 Roman Place the home of my great grandparents John and Elizabeth Chambers (nee Cochrane) I believe John's half sister Jean Pentland (nee McClelland) is also in the picture. Do not know who any of the others are. My gran was a few years older than her two sisters perhaps she is the one in the background and her sisters on the stair (perhaps not?) John came over from Armagh sometime before 1901 as he is on the 1901 census living with the McDonald family at 12 Park Place. Elizabeth died young and John remarried (Eleanor Blair) who also died young (TB) John lived at Roman Place up until the early 1960's so would have known your family Heather as well as the original posters.

As an aside I have a William Hyndman connected to my family however I do not think he will be connected to your William Hindman, mine is from Coatbridge via Tyrone. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 March 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hurray indeed  ;D What a great photo, Andrew!

Monica

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 March 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
hi Andrew, great pic,.......my hyndmans/ hindmans, originate from Ireland but not sure where.  they also ended up in Coatbridge, I am currently still researching them.  my lot are,
William Hyndman 1844-1909, 2 wives, Margaret frame muir hogg and janet ferguson.
david hindman 1879, married Helen munro.
William hindman 1906, married ellen Cullen

anything familiar ???

Offline Karl Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Lithuanian children often wore shirts with large collars.

My "Lithuanian" family lived in Bellshill and Bothwellhaugh from about 1902 to 1941. The family name was Sugzda (with marriages to the McKay, Wallace and McCaskill families). Eventually, they mostly moved off to New Jersey or Queensland.

My mother was born at 2 Store Place, Bothwellhaugh (just above the pool room); my g-grandparents both died at Park Place (near the footbridge) – my g-grandmum in 1930, and g-grandpa in 1941.

The family came to Lanarkshire shortly after the birth of my grandmother in 1901. They had lived in Lauckaimis, a tiny hamlet right on the border with modern Kaliningrad.

Karl Craig
Brisbane, Australia
1. CRAIG – Littlejohn, Norwood; BROWN – Pinkerton, Wyllie.
2. McKAY – Brown, McMeekin, Flynn; ŠUGŽDA – Melnikaitis, Klimaitė, Vidrinskas & Zinkevičius.
3. SCHRODER – Kumm, Kluth, Metzker; EDWARDS – Finch, Shorter, Wright.
4. GALT – Barr, McColl, Littlejohn; FERGUSON – McKerrow, Hardman.