Author Topic: Hitchin & Southill lookups please  (Read 14073 times)

Offline floatingboater

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchin & Southill lookups please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 March 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, the fact that he was a Cordwainer might help immensely. I'll get in touch with the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers to see if he was registered with them.
I did a similar thing with a Fishmonger relative a while back and the Fishmongers Company archive was very helpful.

Thanks again Guys.

Terry
Dennington, Riley, Brede, Taylor, Cheeseman, Key: London & Middlesex;
Brede, Bryan: Northamptonshire, London
Hines: Tipperary & London
Fullwood:Warwickshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, London, Norfolk.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 March 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
On 3 June 1768 there's a baptism of Decima Fulwood daughter of Thomas & Charlotte, husbandman, which I wonder about. Was the mother really Charlotte or is the PR in error? I suspect it is

Seconds thoughts... perhaps it's right, According to the IGI a Thomas & Charlotte Fullwood baptised their last 6 children in nearby Meppershall between 1750 & 1768, with a previous 3 being done in Warwicks (coincidence?) & Decima being the 10th - so aptly named
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 March 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I think you're right John. I was a bit worried about the occupation of husbandman which didn't accord with the children born either side. I wonder what, if any, the relationship was between the two Thomas's?

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 11 07:31 GMT (UK) »
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline floatingboater

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 March 11 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I think you're right John. I was a bit worried about the occupation of husbandman which didn't accord with the children born either side. I wonder what, if any, the relationship was between the two Thomas's?

David

This may have opened up a can of worms for me. Since you pointed this out i've rechecked a few things. I think it's possible that the two Thomas's were father and son. The problem is i can't find any bapt records for either of them. I originally thought that Thomas the Shoemaker was born in Hitchin about 1740 son of Robert and Lydia (nee Lloyd). This came from a Pedigree resource file on family search submitted by Kathy Rasmussen. But i've now found another PR file submitted by Hollie Clare Bevan which shows Thomas's parents as Thomas and Charlotta (nee Holden). One slight problem with this might be, if this is the same Charlotta as in Meppershall would she still be bearing children in 1768? Also revealed in Hollie Clares PR file is that Sarah Warren, who married Thomas Fullwood the shoemaker was baptised in Yeldon Bedfordshire so perhaps that was the reason they moved from Warwick to Bedfordshire in the 1760's. Does that make sense or am i rambling ??

Regards,
Terry
Dennington, Riley, Brede, Taylor, Cheeseman, Key: London & Middlesex;
Brede, Bryan: Northamptonshire, London
Hines: Tipperary & London
Fullwood:Warwickshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, London, Norfolk.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 March 11 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the baptisms again I think it's probably the same family. Thomas and Charlotte baptised three children in Warwicks starting in 1742, then six in Meppershall, topping it off in Southill in 1768 with Decima, the tenth (except the baptism of the first child which is an IGI member submission so not to be relied on, the rest are extracted entries so are OK). A 26 year child bearing span is about right, and isn't at all out of the usual, so that causes me no concerns. What does worry me a bit is the 4 year gap between the alleged marriage in 1738 in Snitterfield (another member submission) and the baptism of the first son in Snitterfield in Dec 1742. What were they doing? And that pushes the span between marriage and Dulcima's baptism to 30 years, which is a push unless Charlotte was only 16 when they married, or if Dulcima was a late baptism by 3 or 4 years.

Thomas was baptised in Warwicks on 6 Mar 1747, so he was young if he married on 12 May 1763; only just 16. Again, not impossible though.

Member submissions on the IGI/Pedigree Resource files/online trees are all to be taken as guides only, with facts being checked against parish registers. That should be your next step, particularluy with the Warwicks marriages. We can all speculate as much as we like - it's what the parish register says that will prove or otherwise what we may hypothesise.

But logistically it's all a bit disjointed. Thomas & Charlotte moved from Warwicks to Meppershall some time between the baptism of Thomas junior in 1747 and 1750. Thomas jnr then moves back to Warwicks to marry a girl from Beds in 1763, has a kid there and then moves back to Southill, Beds. I would like to see the 1763 marriage entry to see if it says Sarah Warren of the parish of Yelden.  My money is on no such statement! Member submissions on the IGI as well as that tree you quote on Pedigree Resource file give Sarah Warren's baptism as 16 June 1747, illegitimate dau of Elizabeth. It would be interesting to look at Yelden parish register to see what detail it provides about the burial on 25 June 1747 of Sarah Warren, nine days after the baptism. Cynical old xxxx I may be, but I suspect that the two events are connected, and the PR tree picked out a Sarah Warren that roughly fitted datewise, notwithstanding that she was from the wrong part of the country. Take online trees with copious helpings of salt.

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 March 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
you can see the Yelden PRs here...

http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/Yelden/PRs-yelden.html

The Sarah Warren who was buried 1747 was the same Sarah, illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth baptised earlier in the month
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 March 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John. Thought that's what it would say!

And having blown a ruddy great hole in the PR tree I now wonder if the research on the rest of the tree is of a similar standard

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 March 11 08:40 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though the Meppershall family may have moved to Luton: there's a burial there of Charlotte Fulwood aged 85 on 8 May 1808, Thomas on 16 Mar 1792, Robert aged 82 on 30 Jul 1839, and marriages of a number of the daughters baptised in Meppershall.

There's also a marriage by licence in Old Warden, next door to Southill, of Thomas Fullwood of Luton and Mary Inskip otp on 22 Apr 1773. Who was he?

More questions than answers

David