Author Topic: Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS) b. abt 1893 d. 1932  (Read 14823 times)

Offline Australia Bound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS) b. abt 1893 d. 1932
« on: Monday 07 March 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for siblings or ancestors of Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS).  I have very little information to go on except she married William Henry HARROP in Jun 1921 registered in Charlton, Lancashire, England.  They had 2 children Phillip in 1921 and Ronald in 1927, and Elsie passed away in 1932 in Ashton, Lancashire, England. 

I believe her parents were Alfred and Caroline WILLIAMS and she had at least 2 sisters:
    -  Alice May  b. abt 1901 and passed away in 1963 in Perth, Western Australia, and
    -  Mabel  b. abt 1902 and passing away in 1951 in Perth, Western Australia.

It is unclear to me why or when Alice and Mabel moved to Western Australia although Alice was married in Perth in 1934.

I am looking for siblings or ancestors of Elsie.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

AB

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS) b. abt 1893 d. 1932
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
FOR INFORMATION ONLY
see similar post on thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=519022.new

It is unclear to me why or when Alice and Mabel moved to Western Australia although Alice was married in Perth in 1934.

Did they marry  If so - in England or Australia?

There is a free index you can search for possible emigration at http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/HomePageController.action

Have you checked the 1911 census for the family?
http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
The only Alfred & Caroline Williams on the English 1901 census were 64 & 58 respectively and living in Sussex

The Welsh 1901 has an Alfred  K Williams and Caroline 42 living in Pembrokeshire but no daughter Elsie and youngest child is 8yrs old

There are 3 post 1901 marriages of an Alfred Williams with a Caroline on the same page  on freebmd but none in the Lancashire area

www.freebmd.org.uk

As advised on your previous post - you need a copy of the marriage cert
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 11 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Elsie passed away in 1932

Age is shown as 38 so birthyear approx 1894

Offline Australia Bound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS) b. abt 1897 d. 1932
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I really value your assistance here.  :)

I was also going on Elsie's birth yr based on her death records, but that marriage parish record (see other post for William Henry HARROP) shows that she was 23 when she married which changes her birth yr to about 1897 or 1898 and her father's name was Alfred Edward WILLIAMS.

I have tried the census info but keep drawing blanks.

I have checked the emigration records for Elsie's 2 sisters going to Fremantle (Perth) but have also drawn a blank.  I actually don't even know if they disembarked in Fremantle or if they even travelled together.  As far as a date range goes for travelling to Australia:
    Alice May Williams would have travelled some time from when she was born (and probably not until she was a young woman) to 1934 (when she was married in Perth, Western Australia)
    Mabel Williams would have travelled sometime between 1921 (when she witnessed her sister Elsie's wedding) and 1951 when she passed away in Perth, Western Australia.

AB

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I've found a likely Elsie and Mabel Williams in the 1911 census. They are in the Manchester area and down as born in Manchester. Not with parents, though.
I'll PM details.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Working from what I found in 1911, there's a very likely family in 1901:

RG13/3746 ED6FOL188 PG41
34 Beaufort St, Manchester

Edward A Williams, Head, M, 44, Lurry driver, Ches Malpas
Carolind (sic) do, wife, M, 38, Warwick Birmingham
Harold do, Son, S, 8, , Lancs Manchester
Mary A do, Daur, S, 7, , Lancs do
Mabel do, Daur, S, 5, , Lancs do
Elsie do, Daur, S, 3, , Lancs do
Lennard do, Son, S, 1, , Lancs do
Louisa Over, neice, S, 22, (warehouse) Hooker Facy, Ches Chester
Henry Carless, boarder, 36, Lines? Keeper? Railway, Worcester

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Australia Bound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie HARROP (nee WILLIAMS) b. abt 1897 d. 1932
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Thank you so much for trying to find this out for me.   :)

What I have on the 3 sisters birth dates, based on death info is:
    -  Elsie was the eldest.  Now based on her death details it says she was born in abt 1893, but based on the marriage info it appears the death info may be incorrect and she was actualy born in 1897/1898, which in the 1901 census would put her at about 3 or 4 yrs of age
    -  Alice May was the 2nd sister and based on her death details from Perth, Western Australia, she would have been born in about 1901 or 1902
    -  Mabel was the 3rd sister and based on her death details from Perth, Western Australia, she would have been born about 1902 or 1903.

Now IF the death info is correct, then I  think the family you found in the 1901 census is unlikely to be the family I am looking for.

Frustrating.

AB :'(

Offline RonOne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 11 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Elsie passed away in 1932 in Ashton, Lancashire, England. 

Are you certain this is correct?  Do you have her death certificate?

As you now know that Elsie Williams was born circa 1898 there is a death reg:

Deaths Sep 1936
Harrop Elsie - Aged 38 - Manchester S. 8d 194

which fits her birth year.

Note: (Manchester S. = Manchester South)