Author Topic: Park - Strichen  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Parzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Park - Strichen
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my Great Great Grandfather Andrew Park born Strichen 1830 for many years. His Marriage Certificate indicates his parents were Fraser Park and Margaret McKenzie.

My research finds Fraser married Elspet King in 1828 and OPR deaths suggest they both died 1831/2. Andrew was orphaned and in 1841 Census is listed as an apprentice handloom weaver with John and Ann Scott in Low Street New Pitsligo.

I believe Ann would have been a relative of Andrew as her maiden name appears from OPR marriages to be Park.

I would be interested if anyone is researching Park and Scott families in the area around that time.

Offline Lawrie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Park - Strichen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Perhaps not a direct connection but think I may have some connection to the Park family from this area.  My great grandmother was a Mary Bella Wyness who was born in Lonmay in the 1880's.  She was illegitimate but when she got married her father was listed as an Alexander Park who is listed as a carpenter.  The Wyness family worked the farm at Balearn in Lonmay which is close to Strichen.

If you have an Alexander in the family born around 1850-1860 would welcome any information.
Aberdeenshire & Kincardineshire - LAWRIE, BRUCE, RAE, WYNESS, ALLEN, MCKENZIE, YOUNG,
Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire - SMITH, LINDSAY, MCPHERSON, MCKENZIE, GOLD, HENDRIE
Fife - SCOTLAND, BURNS

Offline Parzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Lawrie. My thinking is that my GGF had a GGF Alexander, born in the 1700's. My lineage ended in Scotland in 1854 when my GGF emigrated to Australia. He was an orphan with only one brother we know of. My research indicates that his brother stayed in the Strichen area but died without descendants in 1911.

Offline AussieSearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 April 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
There is a Parks line in my husbands family that originates from Lonmay. None of the names in the opening post seem to match the information I have but I was interested in your information Laurie.

The information that I have is William Park (born 1827 in Lonmay) married Ann Duncan in 1856. One of their children is Alexander Joseph Park born in Cruden in 1860 - which puts him the right age for being the father of your ancestor.. However, he migrates to Australia and marries in 1898, I just don't know exactly when. The last census I can find him in is 1871 which puts migration somewhere between 1871 & 1898.

Offline Lawrie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
AussieSearcher, Thanks for the additional information and apologise for delay in replying !!  Unfortunately for me there are a number of Alexander Parks from the area in and around Lonmay/Strichen/Old Deer etc who are all in the age where they could be the father of my great grand-mother.  I am having do a bit of careful work on a list of about 12 of them of which about 5 are more realistic candidates.  All I have is the date of my great grandmother's birth was 1871 and the Alexander Park only appears when she marries in 1900 and he is listed as dead.  Marriage Certificates of course cannot be considered 100% accurate so I am having to treat that information with some care.   Your info that your Alexander Park emigrated to Australia is an interesting one and I will check that out.  I don't suppose his occupation was carpenter or similar ?   Another source I will check will be the Kirk Session records in case there was some discipline by the session at the time.  Thanks again and will let you know if I get any further.
Aberdeenshire & Kincardineshire - LAWRIE, BRUCE, RAE, WYNESS, ALLEN, MCKENZIE, YOUNG,
Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire - SMITH, LINDSAY, MCPHERSON, MCKENZIE, GOLD, HENDRIE
Fife - SCOTLAND, BURNS