Author Topic: Burial records of Teightunny {Teetunney} Graveyard?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial records of Teightunny {Teetunney} Graveyard?
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know if burial records exist for Teightunny {also spelt 'Teetunney'} graveyard? The cemetery is located in the townland of Cloghore {in the parish of Kilbarron}, and is on the Donegal side of the river Erne, very close to Belleek, Co. Fermanagh.

I know that at least some of the names of the people who were buried in the graveyard have been recorded in the book 'DONEGAL GRAVEYARDS, Part One' by Eileen Hewson, published by Kabristan Archives. If anybody has access to this book {or any other sources that may list Teightunny burials} I would be very grateful if they could tell me the names of any Gallaghers, Clarkes, or Monaghans buried within this cemetery.
Many thanks!!

Offline Sylvia Arkison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records of Teightunny {Teetunney} Graveyard?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
At the present time I am trying to get permission to document Teetunney Graveyard. There is extensive work going on with rebuilding the wall surrounding the site. I have been recording the registers of St Anne's Church of Ireland in Bally Shannon and came across 92 burials in Teetunney. At this stage I can tell you the following.
1  There are many Clarkes buried in St Anne's
2  25th September 1821 Hugh Monaghan was buried
The following were buried in Teetunney

William Gallagher aged 18 years from Derryronan, Belleek was buried 9th April 1892
Robert Clarke aged 46 years from Clyhore was buried 17th October 1896
Thomas Clarke, from Clyhore was buried 28th April 1873

That's all for the present, there may be more as my work continues

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
Thank you for the information!!
I hope to visit Teetunney graveyard sometime in the summer to search for the graves of distant relatives. I have seen photographs of the cemetery and it looks like an interesting site. There are pictures of approximately 35 graves online at this address:
https://picasaweb.google.com/CommonsBelleek/TeightunnyGraveyard#
There are a large number of Roman Catholic graves in the cemetery, as well as Protestant graves.

The relations that I think were buried in the cemetery lived in the townlands of Lissacholly, Camlin, Edenagor, Rowantreehill, Knocknashangan, and possibly Clyhore. Some were Roman Catholic and others were Church of Ireland. I am particularly looking for the graves of my great great great grandfather, Henry Gallagher, who died in 1879 and lived in Lissacholly, and his daughter, Anne Jane Clarke {nee Gallagher}, who died in 1871 and lived in Camlin. The burial of Anne Jane Clarke may have been recorded in the registers of St. Anne's church in Ballyshannon, as she was married in a Church of Ireland ceremony.

Another ancestral surname that I somehow forgot to list in my original message is 'Cox'. If you come across the burials of individuals of this surname, or any of the people above, in Teetunney cemetery, I would be very grateful if you would let me know.
Good luck with the research!!
Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline mannix cloghore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
I live beside Teightunny Graveyard .At present there are two men working there and we hope to map all the graves there. This will prove to be very difficult as the heritage dept. of Donegal County council will not allow the cleaning of headstones. I have read your post and will try to find the grave you are enquiring about . I have a list of some of the  burials in the graveyard.If you e-mail me at manixcloghore@gmail.com I will send them to you

Offline mannix cloghore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
Mick Gallagher 6th Oct 1783 age 24 also Charles and Patrick Gallagher No Info
Ellen Monaghan died 6th Sept 1910 age 67 her son Patrick died 25th January 1885 age 19 Her infant Daughters Catherine died 9th September 1871 age 6months and Catherine died 1st Feb1876. I assume she called her 2nd daughter in memory of her previous daughter
Mary Monaghan died April 3rd 1790 age 51 there was also Patrick Monaghan I assume he was Ellen's husband no info on his death

All buried in Teightunny Graveyard

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Would you consider adding them to IGP?

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/headstones.htm  is a project to try and get g/stones, records etc together.

Christina is responsible for getting it together... email address at bottom of page.

Purely voluntary and not a problem if you decide not to!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi mannix cloghore,

thank you for your offer to send me information about the burials in Teightunny graveyard. I have just sent you an e-mail, which includes the details of some of the people that I am looking for.

Thanks again!!!
Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline Johyn Kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
Liked your work on the Drumholm Graveyard enabled me to find the burial of my Grandfather William Elliott in Plot 224